What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

well, i'm sick had too work. had a flat tire on my bike, found out the only shop in town that carries the same tube is out out of bussness, had to buy a different type of tube from walmart, found out afterwards I don't have the right pump to fill the tire up, had to buy the correct pump, traveled no more than 20 feet when the new tube burst, walked the 5 miles home, back wheel fell of the bike once I got home, found out the tire(the outside part) is mostly shreads...but least I got my walmart employee discount card, you know, after I already bought supplies from there...now, back to ksp

what I did today

Incremental progress - when the 4 core comes and gets running I will be able to finish it. Concept is a space station fueler. Got a second large scale SSTO on paper only - to take up parts.

cbvx.jpg

Did some flower power debris in orbit.

34huy6p.png

Derped around KSC.

2lwu79d.png

Gazed into the empty mind of a Kerbal.

16bngp4.png

Tested the viability of solar panel shock absorbing idea.

xfoox4.png

Finally landed a rover on Duna without busting tires.

2por6t3.png

Made a little balcony for a Kerbal to enjoy while waiting for the debris to hit the station.

339imma.png

I nailed the Mun. Things have been slow for me since .19. I blew a disc in my back back in May and June. Then between recovering for 6 weeks I've been busy with summer stuff and building an office in my basement and getting in to homebrewing.

Apollo 1 failed, badly. I got to the Mun, I managed to land and tipped the thing over (I forgot to add ASAS on the lander, so no RCS stability landing). I got it upright after closing the legs, twisting it around and reopening them. We're cool bro.

Then I pop the rover...without putting a kerbal in it first. And it rolls down a crater for 4km and blows up several times chasing it with a kerbal.

I then jet up a nearby mountain with my kerbal and plant a flag. Jetting back to the Apollo 1 lander I come in way too fast and dust the kerbal. Upon dusting it, it auto switches back to the lander...my finger is still mashed on the shift button trying to save the kerbal...it throttles up the lander (because I forgot to disable the engine, which is SOP for me), and I cut the thrust almost immediately, but too late. It bangs down, tips over and breaks in half. No chance of ascent stage working.

I write him off. I return my lone kerbal in orbit in the CSM. I get about 150km out and jettison the SM readying for re-entry. As soon as I jettisoned the SM I realized I forgot to put parachutes on the CM.

Three kerbals lost.

Fast forward 3 weeks later and I finally flight tested the block II CSM (minor updates, mostly parachutes) the block II MM (major updates on ascent and landing stages), the block II Munar rover (minor updates) and a new Saturn II launcher (major updates).

I got it in to orbit with enough fuel in the upper stage for TMI, burned for the Mun and got in to orbit (circularizing at 50km equitorial orbit, about 20% from the upper stage, rest from the CSM engine).

Now a week later I finally landed on the Mun near my Celeste probe. After the failure of Apollo I, in part because of lack of terrain recon, I created and landed the Celeste probe to find some flat enough ground to put down on. Apollo II MM came down about 150m from the probe in a text book perfect landing. One of my kerbals climbed down, mounted the rover and I popped it. Mental note, change seperatrons for decoupler on the rover next time (in testing on Kerbin it only kicked it about a meter and tipped backward on to its wheels. On the mun it kicked it 6m and rolled on to its side and I had to manually kick it over).

I drove off toward the crater rim wall of the giant crater on the terminator line with the far side of the mun. About a 25km round trip trek. Lessons learned, quick save often (I learned that on Moho back in .19). I also need a new rover design. Top safe speed was about 5m/sec and I still had to be careful. Occasionally I could push 8-9m/sec, but not downhill. I am thinking something a little lower slung and try to push the wheels out and to the sides a little more. Maybe some small trusses on the corners to push it out some. A little RCS and some jets might also be useful to right the thing if/when it flips. I don't need much, but if I can safely rove on the Mun at 10m/sec, that would be a huge improvement in getting places (and might also mean I could hit 12-15m/sec on Duna safely).

Anyway, I got to "Jack Crater", turned around and went back to the landing site. Total trip, about 25km (10.6km out, circituitous route) in about 90 minutes includes only one quick load and 5 or 6 flips that I had to get out and push the rover back on to its wheels. Also a little on foot sight seeing once I got to Jack Crater (a small crater in the rim wall of the giant impact basin formed on the terminator). If the thing were a little more stable and I could have pushed another 25% on speed it probably would have been only 45 minutes between the extra speed and fewer flips.

Anyway, I got back to the Apollo II landing site unlimbered my other Kerbonaut and planted a flag at the landing site. I am going to wander around the site a little bit (maybe go over to Celeste 1 and play kick the probe). After that it is back to the CSM and back to Kerbin.

Not sure which direction to go after this. I may do another Apollo mission, or I may go to Minimus next. Duna is calling to me though. That and I really want to build out my space station some more. It is rather minimalist right now and my two kerbals are getting a little lonely up there and are rattling around like peas in a very large pod.

http://imgur.com/a/5EFOe

Not sure which direction to go after this. I may do another Apollo mission, or I may go to Minimus next. Duna is calling to me though. That and I really want to build out my space station some more. It is rather minimalist right now and my two kerbals are getting a little lonely up there and are rattling around like peas in a very large pod.

Well done!

I say do ALL the things!

If you can do Mun, you can do Minmus! (note, only the one 'i'). Roving there is a little different, as you will find...

Then Duna, but fixing up that station while you wait for a window...

I sent the Keller 01 probe to Jool. When it reaches Jool in 200 days, it will mainly study the three innermost moons. It also carries a small probe that will land on Lathe.

ADI6t1s.png

The probe itself weighs about 5 tons and will be carried to jool with the Centaur 04 kicker.

I started a new game (Actually day before) to make changes to a major space station section. I got that finished and lofted it into orbit, but, because it was getting so late, the station hadn't even reached apoapsis of the first orbit yet when I logged out. I jump back in last night, go to the tracking station to check things out and it still showed the station 15 minutes short of Apopapsis (At around 300 km out). I jumped back to the VAB to start fitting up my tugger to the rocket to send it up and some small modifications / changes to the copy of the first station section lifter (Learned during the first launch.). I got kind of caught up in the VAB stuff, saw it was getting late again, and decided to make another check from the tracking station before I logged for the night. When the tracking station screen appeared, something seemed off, orbit path, something out of kilter. I clicked on the "FLY" button and upon jumping to the station itself, which looked just as I left it, I thoguht well, let's check the orbit map out and see if I can make a burn yet.

O-M-G...The station was already past Periapsis...get this...Passing the back side of Kerbal at 22KM...and was on it's way back to Apoapsis again, at around 145 km and climbing...

HOLY LOW PASSES, Batman!!! Could you imagine a behemoth space station making a low buzz over your neighbor hood at an altitude 20 km??? WOOoowww...

It still befuddles me how the thing got through a 20km altitude withOUT gravity sucking it into the ground...HARD!

Dunno, but the station lives to fly another day and the Kerbals on board are busy digging each other's nails out of the chairs, resuscitating some, cleaning out shorts, and so forth, while Kerbals on the ground are busy filing noise abatement law suits against the space program.

Too much....

Edited by I_do_robots

Mini Max 8, an onion booster with four pair asparagus but no feed to the LV-N since it overheats so badly during launch phase. It made orbit with over half the fuel left in the last pair. Last nights boost to escape still had fuel left in those pair. The design flies well.

o2gytqU.jpg

8aMWjUx.jpg

Had to use the decouplers shown as the shorter ones caused the empty tanks to destroy the LV-N on staging. All boosters staged cleanly during flight.

Tested the possibly of fuel lines to the LV-N center tank, then back to the two outboard engines that would be staged once in orbit leaving the half full fuel tanks to be used more efficiently by the LV-N until empty. That concept does work.

Abomination 2 was a disaster requiring extensive skeleton bracing in order to keep it from wobbling apart during launch.

93MW7Ty.jpg

It hit Kerbal at record speed, or goes Voyager just as rapidly. Otherwise that design is too expensive and difficult to control.

Edited by SRV Ron

I thought of this.

2cftn5u.png

5x5x5, made of large plates. It's about the largest I can make before my computer starts choking. Resistance is futile, I know.

It has an opening so a small ship can enter it. For some weird reason it does not trap anything inside. Whatever is inside can just slide out right before your eyes. Too bad.

Later I checked on Google and I saw I wasn't the only one with similar idea.

In other news, I've sent a heavy ship with 4 probes to the Jool system. Pol, Bop and Vall were accessed and now contain tiny fueled probes ready to jump around and find the Kraken and "Stonehenge".

I've dumped the ship to Laythe's ocean. Fourth probe was intended for Tylo, but... yeah. Tylo remains the only landable body I yet have to land on. And Laythe, if you don't count in the splashdown this summer.

Mün now has a spacestation, and Minmus and Mün remain the only visited places in this installed version.

It was kind of weird to visit Jool again. This summer I did a total launch spree. In few days I've went everywhere with actual Kerbals, and then nothing for a long time. Kind of like NASA.

Now I just send probes.

Edited by lajoswinkler

I got inspired to make a high speed research plane.

HBOmdmh.png

It is capable of suborbital flight. I had so mutch fun building and flying it that I made this.

ei7jTXY.png

uHpbxCG.png

It's not an SSTO but it can make orbit and look cool at the same time.:cool:

Hey Xub313, can you post the craft file for that wondrous probe?

Here ya go! I haven't tested it at Jool yet but it should work well enough. The toroidal fuel tanks are for ballast when the lander probe separates.

Achieved my very first stable orbit around kerbin :D

Welcome to space. Watch that first step, it's a doozy!

I'm on my way to finally finish refueling the interplanetary cruiser, Very Excessive Excursion Rocket (V.E.E.R. II - the first one had a little accident.) This latest refueler has a mechjeb on it because I want to see how much delta-V this beast has when fully fueled. It's headed for Jool if it can manage it.

Edit: fully fueled, the main drive has 4926 m/s of dV. And that's with a craft mass of 682 tons with the partially-full fueler still attached, so it won't be completely accurate, but the mass will also be lower without the fueler - no matter what, I think it can manage a trip to Jool, and maybe back with some aerobraking.

Too bad the launch window is in about 70 days. I'll have to work on other things while this ship and my Laytheplane sit in orbit and wait. Luckily I'm about aligned for a Moho launch -unmanned probe time!

Edited by khyron42

I finally satisfied my fix for getting on the KSP forums...

Finished the Storax Anacostia mission during the blackout; still need to get the debrief ready to go. Began farting around with an entry for the Doing it Gemini Style entry too. Got that in orbit before yet another spontaneous computer shutdown occurred.

Sent the Kerbin Star to Duna in order to finally refuel and return Jebediah's Manhood

Big boys in orbit together

Xn9vrjF.png

Recovery of the Dunar landing capsule (was unable to return to the mothership, but managed orbit)

S1jBOSa.png

Back home

zx8ufqY.png

Jebediah, Bill, Bob, Mac, Desry, Dodorf, Jedbrett, and Camgel return from their four year Jool Duna mission, and head straight for the bar

j2ffYnB.png

And thus ends my first interplanetary adventure!