What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I stranded Jebediah and 2 other crew on Laythe. Technically they were meant to go to Pol but the delta v required to get them into orbit was going to strand them, so I thought the aerobreaking on Laythe would get me a landing and a way home, turns out I was only half right. A rescue mission is going to be a gigantic pain in the ass.

I'm working on a interplanetary ship, a big one.

today, I got "deadly reentry" add-on, so I had to change the cockpit to have a heat shield under it. And I added a lander.

I still need to put more fuel. at the end the mass will be near 160 to 180 tons, I guess.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Roux_de_secours

After numerous failed attempts I finally built a truly practical NASA style space shuttle using the Space Shuttle Engines mod and Stretchy Tanks.

On the pad it weighs 425 tons, has a payload capacity of 20+ tons, and enough fuel for it's OMS engines do plenty of orbital maneuvering (~800m/s). Like the real space shuttle the SRB's deliver just over 2/3's of the total shuttle stack thrust until burnout, which happens after roughly 2 minutes, 5 seconds.

STS-1 successfully retrieved a comm sat's spent upper stage from a Kerbostationary orbit, though I had to pack a bit of extra fuel in the cargo bay for that trip. Fortunately, it's got plenty of room.

I think I'll take advantage of that and begin constructing a space station with STS-2. More pictures LINK

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Lots of stuff arriving at destination.

I expanded my base on Pol, adding a rocket jumping rover and a fuel pod designed to refuel it.

Base area now contains the Base, Fuel Pod, Rover and a return to Kerbin ship landed a little way off.

8D09A9EF5B46AA369AA142CA39E061960BC598AE

Frank Kerman inspects his new rover

EF09E59B93B69C4828420943C6AF2366EF9D25AC

My first ever mission to Eeloo also arrived at encounter. Burned into orbit and dropped the lander:

88440C6D56521C71469B302ACA19A5FFAFE7E4A9

16A6B9C6CC20341973C365097E4C25D0AB5C8BA3

In my first 0.22 career mode, I decided it was time to go to Minmus and get me some more of that learnin' stuff so that I could unlock another tech or two in preparation for a manned Munar landing. So I loaded up a probe designed to head out to Minmus, collect and transmit all the sciences back to Kerbin, and then (hopefully) return to the planet to be recovered for extra thinkin' points.

All was going well... I had plenty of fuel once I was in my stable LKO, and decided I was going to get fancy and execute my first intentional gravity slingshot around the Mun in order to save fuel on the trip to Minmus. Several minutes of tinkering with maneuver points and some short burns later, and I was on my way to Minmus with truckloads of fuel left for the parking orbit burn and even a return to Kerbin.

And now, after spending all morning on this (instead of studying for my CPA exam like a good little accountant), I have just entered Minmus's sphere of influence, and fired up my science instruments, and... and... and......

... and I forgot to give the probe a communications antenna.

;.;

Edited by Landwalker

Today I got my ass kicked by Tylo. I brought my universal lander and as I thought it won't suffice I also brought a special lander designed for Tylo. As expected, the universal lander can land there, but with so little fuel left that it can't get back to orbit again. And regarding the Tylo lander - I have tested on Kerbin that the ascent stage is good enough to get back to orbit, but I kinda underestimated tests of the descent stage. So not only I did not mount any landing lights. I also had to learn the hard way that asparagus staging is a really bad idea for landers.

Long story short, my guys got to return home without planting a flag today.

Had a lot of firsts today. First encounter with an inclined planet, first manned landing on Dres, first interplanetary rescue as a result of the latter.

P.S. Is Dres actually a planet? It wasn't all that different from a Mun mission, aside from the massive delta-V requirement.

P.S. Is Dres actually a planet? It wasn't all that different from a Mun mission, aside from the massive delta-V requirement.

Sort of. It's the Ceres-analogue. In the long term, it'll be the largest object in an asteroid belt. It won't get any tougher to land on, though.

I went to Minmus!

screenshot1.png

Decide on modifying the in game super heavy lander for return capability (aka removed RCS, put more fuel, a decoupler between the command pod and the landing system and parachutes instead of a docking clamp) and took it there. After a near perfect landing that makes me wish my Mun ones could go that well I planted the flag and returned back victorious to Kerbin.

Next up, Minmus Station!:D

I sent a probe to Jool. As I don't have nuke engines yet I didn't do my usual tour of the moons though I did intend to push on to Tylo for more science. However after plotting my maneuver I saw I didn't have enough fuel to reach there so instead I just crashed the probe into Jool spamming science all the way down until the batteries ran out.

With the little better than 2k science I gathered I am planning a new Jool mission now with nervas!

Sandbox game - landed the KRV for the Constellation Challenge mission. Didn't account for the rotation of the planet, so it wound up 40 klicks west of the rover. Quickly transferred the crew into their lander and made their descent, with the hope of not having the same problem. Didn't. Just overshot the LZ by 40 klicks. So it looks like I've got another opportunity for yet another long-[AUTOMATED STEERING SYSTEM] haul on Duna...

Don't mind as long as it doesn't DQ me from points; the whole thing had been going very well up to this point.

I banished two Kerbals to the sun.

Milski and Lenmal were assigned to an important rover, which was to be used in the assembly of a large multi-segment base. Before even the first components of the base were assembled, they drove the vehicle into a crater. After much struggle, it was determined that the crater walls were too steep for the rover to climb, and that it was trapped. A new rover would have to be sent. The original was destroyed, and the crew retrieved. They were brought back to Kerbin for punishment a career re-evaluation. They were promptly assigned to long term postings on the Botany Bay, a high-proximity solar research vessel. Failure is not tolerated.

Hmm.... let's see. I got two sets of Kerbals into stable orbits and managed to launch my first satellite into a stable orbit, where the batteries promptly died after sending me back it's first packet of information. However, that's okay it did what it was supposed to do (Science Jr. kit in orbit). Now I just need to figure out how to get more science so I can get to the Fuel Systems tree...