What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I just accessed Inaccessible. Still feeling a bit dizzy...

erXwj9dh.jpg

It that the Munar pole? Never seen it from the surface.

Also spent some time on Kerbin working on a Laythe ascender. Decided on a dual jet/rocket configuration. I can get it to the edge of Kerbins atmosphere using very little fuel but when I switch over to the aerospikes the controls go flaky. I'm going to have to put a large SAS unit on it (which could kill my TWR) or use something with thrust vectoring, which is going to be a problem with length with the LV-T45's or I could use the Mark 55's but they have a terrible Isp.

Edited by FlamedSteak

Alright. You guys remember the post from yesterday about my first (failed) mun landing?

Just tried to save jeb.

And guess what happened..

Bill is now stuck on the mun too..

2013-12-04_00002u3su4.jpg

In case you're wondering.. The thing in the front is a landing gear. My craft tipped over as i extended the ladders..

ANYWAY. Now i can rescue even more Kerbals from the mun.. :D

Uh oh that's going to be......EPIC! Might want to show a picture of you lander though, it may need a small change to make it more stable. Also what is your m/s just before landing? That would be another point to look into. For me I seemingly always land on hills, but I have found if my landing gear are near center on mass I can sometime tip the lander back up with some playing with the legs and spinning the craft. Hopefully you get it figured out and get those boys home! :wink:

Those of you who use MechJeb a lot know that sometimes, it's just useless. Not just the usual small glitches and bad judgment calls that require a manual override and put the lie to claims of critics that it does everything for you, but wildly out of control. If it were a kerbal, I'd say it was drunk. When this happens, I've found that the only way to fix things is to restart the game, and sometimes my whole computer.

(MECHJEB, WUT R U DOIN? MECHJEB, STAHP)

Yesterday... was one of those days.

At first I thought it was my fault, as I was testing some new rocket designs. But after watching attempt after attempt start waggling and yawing all over the screen shortly after beginning the gravity turn, half of them failing even to make orbit, I decided to try launching a previously tested and reliable rocket as a control. Same result. I pushed the destruct revert button and went to bed.

Today, after a fresh boot and a test launch, everything was fine. I got my new rockets into orbit and determined just how much delta v I needed in the lower stages to get them there. Now I'm ready to copy the "winning" version (out of three) back into my main save.

YES! Yet another SSTO in my orbit! Revised the gear and carried it all the way to orbit. Still so satisfying when it happens, even after many SSTO and spaceplane designs made it. And this one still has half the fuel reserves left. 2 of the normal size 1.25 fuel tanks, 2 LV-N engines. Nice pretty 150km orbit, and docked to my refueling station. Takes a lot to make orbit, but it works. I'm building a new design so I don't have to pulse the bloody LV-N's the whole way up to keep the speed up.

I didn't get to play today, but I thought about things I can do starting this weekend. My big mission of 34 Kerbals to Minmus will be filmed Saturday and on Youtube soon after, I will be talking a bit on there so hopefully my voice is doing better. Also I thought about bringing Jeb back from Duna, since I have left him there for nearly a week now. Aslo on my normal Youtube save I will be mounting my rover mission to the surface also this weekend, this will help me prepare for my "official" Duna landing that I will have up on my channel soon after.

In the mean time I have been playing another game and working a series up for that one, I do not need to talk over the game play so it is nice for my already hurt vocals. I am also considering a new microphone, since my cheapo headset seem very quiet when I record yet normalized in skype.....but that is off topic LOL

I'm building a new design so I don't have to pulse the bloody LV-N's the whole way up to keep the speed up.

What I've done, on my own plane, was attach a couple of the hefty radial engines (110-120kN each) to the back end to supplement the nuke. They add a little bit of weight, of course, and their efficiency isn't great, but they give you the extra kick needed to get above the atmosphere without losing any speed once the jets cut off. Then, once you're safely above the atmosphere, you can take your time using your high-efficiency engines to circularize. They're also really handy when doing precision landings on Mun and such, if you find yourself coming in too quickly.

----------------------

What I did today was deliver my first miniature rover to Mun. ("Miniature" meaning only ~30 tons fully loaded, as opposed to my previous 400-ton rover.) It's a manned rover (capacity: 2) that can function unmanned as needed, has Kethane refining, a KAS winch, and uses a couple B9 VTOL engines to fly around to new resource fields. Basically, it's an all-in-one sort of design. (Fun to drive, too.) Here it is refilling after landing:

SFmENtc.png

Right now these are pretty useless compared to Kethane-refining landers and space stations, but I'm planning for the future multiple-resource refining system. When that happens, I'll have different versions of these for each resource, capable of delivering resources to a central location as needed.

Today was a long mission. Decided to get "tons" of science, I unlocked the gravioli detector and the computing noise array, made a probe with this two and packed up some batteries, a fuel tank and an atomic engine.

Did some science in kerbin, mun, minmus, and then left to eve, did some science in eve and gilly.

Sucked up all the science I could then crashed the probe in eve, trying to get the nose computer to get some data from eve atmosphere but I really underestimated the huge amount of data it collects, so I run out of electricity before sending anything :(

Al least I got around 1.5k science points, my most profitable mission so far!

BTW, I also put a satellite in KGO and sent a pod to resupply RCS (so I learnt how to put something in kerbin GSO, how to rendezvous, and how to dock.

Productive day in KSP today :D

Edited by federicoaa

I will have up on my channel soon after.

Forgive my ignorance, but who are you on youtube?

After 40 days of prospecting a small crater at the Mun's south pole in preparation for Kethane mining operations, The Trio returned to Kerbin.

And I just realized, that I most likely stranded the refinery crew on Mun for the time being, as the three left with their lander, which was the only means of return until I built a crew transport - hopefully nobody gets sick. :P

Edited by KerbMav

All the really cool stuff seems to happen when I am not prepared to take a screenshot.

First for the uneventful...

Sent a science probe into orbit of the sun. I then sent a probe to the mun for the same purpose.

Then I went on to send one to minmus... First I had issues gettin an intercept but that isn't the good part. I eventually landed on Minmus but I was unable to kill all of my horizontal speed so came down moving 2.3m/s to the side. This naturally tipped over my lander. I thought oh well no big deal, I had solar panels all over the place (the 1x6 covered ones) and all the science bits stayed on. I raised the landing legs to get the nose out of the dirt so the antenna could go up hit the action key to extend all the panels and suddenly found myself being flipped almost upright by the force of the panels on the bottom opening, put the legs back down and stuck the landing.

Set up an alarm for the Constipation XI flight for the next Duna->Kerbin window. Then switched focus over to the Sandstone Yoke probe carrier at Jool. After I got it into a stable Jool orbit, I started launching probes. Lost one in an attempt to go to Bop; burned my Jool periapsis too low - so the impactor mission was a success (just leaves me without a spare if I screw something else up at this point). Followed it all the way in. Got a probe on a really inefficient Laythe intercept course and another one on a Bop intercept course. Those should fill up the time between now and when Constipation XI is supposed to return from Duna nicely.

Oh, and then there was the probe I successfully got into orbit around Tylo...

I started out by noticing I had a minmus probe in orbit of kerbin. I had launched it last night before I went to sleep and decided to leave it in orbit over night before sending it (which made my other trip to minmus a complete waste of time since I didn't have to rebuild the probe). Well me overengineering the first probe to an extreme ended up being beneficial. I instead sent it to Jool. On its way into Jool's SOI it had a flyby of both Bop and Tylo which allowed me to get some major science (considering it had limited science equipment onboard) and then running low on fuel I crashed it into Jool spamming science all the way down.

Then I designed a Eve probe which for obvious reasons in the pictures below I dubbed "The Urchin"

screenshot10_zpsb4505e3a.png

screenshot11_zps7488a425.png

Generated about 2300 science for me so far (it is currently on Eve) with a bit more to be milked by Eve if I need it.

I got bored, so I set Kerbin into a collision route into Jool. Well, it wasn't exactly a collision route...but it still went pretty close. :)

y726nEo.png

The actual orbit.

XTbkeaz.png

Jool at night of Day 1, gazing towards Kerbal Space Center. If you squint really hard, you can see Laythe and Vall.

F3F2F0D8E584FC3AC42132E5020F3859546BA793

A probe sent to Jool orbit to calculate how much time it would take for Kerbin to 'crash' into Jool. The result: 2 days and 4 hours; rounded to 3 days.

067F6FDB95249685F0D60C51F9E8A172D47C4375

Jool at night of Day 2, drawing nearer and nearer. It's roughly near Vall orbit, I believe.

D80823B96D68554E6A5A32255CD7472151FB23EE

Jool at night of Day 3, so close you can see it's "landscape". Quite a scary sight, isn't it?

Eventually I lost everything because there was a heavy storm going on and the computer shut down without warning.

Edited by Commissioner Tadpole
Description change

*snip*

I am extremely proud of this. First Mun landing. Jeb seems extremely happy, even though he can't get into his lander without RCS.

Hahaha I made exactly that same mistake with my first landing too. (Legs too short, landed on the engine...)

Congrats!

Well I just got done testing out my "lunar tour bus" on a trip to Minmus, all went well...except for the landing on Kerbin. I seemingly break one of the "economy" class seats off once on Kerbin, but what do you expect for a cheap seat on the bus?? I think 34 Kerbals counts for a bus on a single mission.

kt09.png

0ebg.png

And random passenger on the bus a bit worried about coming home.

75u7.png

Launched my new Challenger-class interplanetary shuttle.

xqcaz9.jpg

The design performed exceptionally well on its shakedown cruise to the Mun, so I'm probably going to send a few more of them up. They should prove handy transporting stuff around the solar system.

I got bored, so I set Kerbin into a collision route into Jool. Well, it wasn't exactly a collision route...but it still went pretty close. :)

D80823B96D68554E6A5A32255CD7472151FB23EE

Jool at night of Day 3, so close you can see it's "landscape". Quite a scary sight, isn't it?

Eventually I lost everything because there was a heavy storm going on and the computer shut down without warning.

Oah... that is so depressing. :D

Crashed a nicely-built probe on Duna. Probe weighed just a touch under 8 tons, with 3 heavy legs. Made a nice, gentle touchdown at ~4m/sec, the leading leg (very, very slightly up-hill) happily spring-squished up until the probe over-balanced, and it slapped down shedding parts all over the place. I can't WAIT until they fix the friggin' legs!