What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, Thrawn889 said:

So update 2 for my Career. I have updated to 1.2 - Thanks Steam, (but i'm good my mods are still working.) 

So i started today (after work) wanting to go to the Mun and do a encounter. So i built a new ship r9W7JK5.jpg

So as you can see im using the KER mod to help me do the calculations for Delta V and TWR. I watched one of quills vids where it was stated that i dont need over 1.25 TWR to take off i managed the SFB's down to about 1.72 which gave me a nice amount of lift to get me above 25k i think it was. This gave me the ability to use stage 6 my main engine to achieve orbit and then push myself out to a lunar encounter. 

With my stage 5 rocket a little terrier engine this pushed me into a nice encounter for my mission of fly by the mun, gather science and return. 

sYWtt7o.jpg

So as you can see this wasnt a perfect orbit by any means but again as shown by the Ker mod i was running out a little bit of DV. i actually let the craft do this without any adjustment from me. now using For Science was meant to get me the maximum science i could but i think it glitched due to 1.2.1 so i will have to manually do alot of the science this time. 

So after a little bit of fiddling with a maneuver node i managed to bring Valentina home safe. (with the minor loss of the science pod and goo canisters from the bottom of it. 

Long story short i walked away with 319 science to spend. I spent it on the below hoping that i can use my new parts to gain more science and my new mission Rescue Rodney Kerman from orbit... I can get to orbit but i haven't got a clue how to actually get Rodney on to my new ship and i don't have a multi person command pod just a crew cabin and MK1 command pod. :)

yWekHpE.jpg

Doing good.

Rodney is a contract?

Others have used two capsules stacked on top of each other. So if you have the capability to do an EVA your good.

When you are withing 2.2 km I believe you can "Switch" to the other craft. You then own it and you can tell the little guy to EVA.

That is until you unlock some probe cores and do without a pilot.

The first EVAs are pure pannic. So make sure you have a save to revert to and try again...and again.

And again.

Grabing the lader is hard the first few times.

ME

EDIT

If you transfer the pilot to the crew cabin the EVAed Kerbal can get in the the command pod. If he is a pilot he can stay there. Otherwise you can transfer him to the the cabin and transfer the pilot back to the front.

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Presenting the Peregrine!

Peregrine_Space.png

Named after the fastest bird of prey, this plane comes with 2 Whiplashes (speed), 2 RAPIERs (more speed), and 2 scramjets (too much speed). Sadly I have not been able to reproduce its amazing maiden voyage (see above). It is still more than capable of getting to orbit, however. Also comes with 5000 mono-propellant for small boosts and orbital maneuvers.

Edited by Brownhair2

3 hours ago, AccidentsHappen said:

Ermagerd that lil' thing is adorable! Can I have one? Please? Pleeaase?

Btw is SXT the only mod you're using on the plane, or are there others?

The pop-up tent on top is from Ven's Stock Revamp, but I've removed it for now...  It seems to add a bunch of drag, even when deflated.  Top speed with the tent mounted is only 75 m/sec, but it's 100 without the tent.

All of the other parts are either stock or from SXT.  Some of the stock parts look different because Ven's is installed.  Here's what it looks like without Ven's...

9WzSNNI.png

The open cockpit (it's an external seat for two kerbals, not an actual command pod) has tremendous drag, which is why the top speed is so low.  However, it's also extremely light (total ramp weight is just 3370 kg, of which 2050 kg is fuel), so it's got great short-field takeoff and landing capabilities.  With the flaperons extended, you can take off at 28 m/sec and set down at 20 m/sec.  The flaperons still provide roll control when extended, but it's reduced effectiveness.  Don't use the flaps until you're properly lined up on final.

jkabsoh.png

Flaps-up, takeoff is about 35 m/sec and set down around 25.  Actual stall speed is 16 m/sec with flaps, and around 20 without.  I've been flying the approach at around 40 m/sec and then dumping in the flaps on short-final to slow down.  Water landings should be made flaps-up at around 30 m/sec to ensure a gentle entry.

AgxmDww.png

I'm not quite through tweaking on the Bumblebee design, but I guess I can let you make some test flights in the prototype:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14176520/Bumblebee.craft.  Please don't forget to fill out your postflight feedback reports.

Action Group 1 toggles the engine on and off.
Action Group 4 toggles the flaps up and down.
The Lights group toggles the landing light installed on the starboard sponson.
There is no action group for the wing-fold... you don't want to hit that accidentally.  Right click the wings to fold/unfold.

The plane only has two hours of endurance at full throttle, so you can fly out almost 100 km from home-base and return.  You'll need to send along refueling equipment if you want to get a lot of use out of the plane

I'll post the production model to the Spacecraft Exchange forum in a couple of days, when I'm through hammering on it.

I've been looking at the possibility of a SuperBee variant with an enclosed cockpit (the Firespitter helicopter cockpit) and a bigger engine that can fly much faster, but it gets so heavy that it loses its STOL abilities...  I'm having trouble coming up with a good compromise.

Edited by RoboRay

Today I conducted a second air drop test, with a slightly different deployment method. Honestly, I was pretty shocked that it worked on the first try.

Spoiler

23vKRby.jpg

The plan was to deploy from the rear of the cargo bay allowing the stack to swing out over the tail jackknife style. To do this without any parts going boom, I put a couple of bumpers in the bay and built a sort of deployment sled attached to the probe core on the bottom of the stack. This gives the stack a pretty sturdy pivot point as it rotates around. This deployment method has a number of advantages. It uses fewer parts (I only used 2 sepatrons), it puts the weight further back in the cargo bay (good for take-off and ascent), and it allows me to utilize the rest of the space in the cargo bay without fear of a collision during deployment.

UAcSwJX.jpg

AuiLFB2.jpg

BqhxLEd.jpg

This time deployment did go off without a hitch (shockingly), and everything was descending (legs deployed) under its own parachutes. Sadly (read: infuriatingly), the game crashed when I switched back to the Galactica to sort her out. So sorry, no pics of landing.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by NoobTool

I tried playing around with some designs to (eventually) get my parts & crew back from low Kerbin orbit (once I finally get them back from Duna), since I got a lab instead of a cockpit.

And, well, I kinda sorta accidentally made a spaceplane.

I hate it when that happens! :mad:

9xTrOae.png

Ugly as flarp, pushed on by six Whiplashes, but all I was trying to do was test if it could re-enter.

Mqrullp.png

Dump the jets once they start loosing thrust, and continue on the Skipper I'll be returning. Means to an end.

tZ6SMXN.png

Made orbit easily. A more efficient ascent with more time on the jets might even leave enough fuel for a Münar swing-by.

L0kKgAm.png

Enough room inside for the Hitchhiker I'll be cannibalizing from the rover, and the stupid lab I wasn't expecting. :huh: Should be able to shoehorn the big radiator in there, too.

LuZvYFn.png

Mostly uneventful reentry. Don't think the lab could take that unshielded tho.

nwwM8Ft.png

Couldn't make it back to KSC, so I had to set down in a forest west of the mountains. Without hitting any of the solid trees (thanks @Galileo :huh:). Still got it down in one piece.

b3SOUIP.png

Glamour shot at sunset :cool:

6 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Couldn't make it back to KSC, so I had to set down in a forest west of the mountains. Without hitting any of the solid trees (thanks @Galileo :huh:). Still got it down in one piece.

Are you on 1.2.1? If so,  kopernicus isn't working so SVT doesn't work either :)  as long as kopernicus isn't updated,  you are safe. . .  But the collisions will be back. . . With a vengeance.  

I'm still winning the mind games though I see :wink:  

Edited by Galileo

8 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Are you on 1.2.1? If so,  kopernicus isn't working so SVT doesn't work either :)  as long as kopernicus isn't updated,  you are safe. . .  But the collisions will be back. . . With a vengeance.  

I'm still winning the mind games though I see :wink:  

Nope, still on 1.2. Tho I have noticed the Duna polar rocks are not actually solid....

ETA: Well now, this is embarassing... :blush:

Upon rechecking my modlist... apparently I don't have SVT installed at all. :blink:

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

26 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Nope, still on 1.2. Tho I have noticed the Duna polar rocks are not actually solid....

ETA: Well now, this is embarassing... :blush:

Upon rechecking my modlist... apparently I don't have SVT installed at all. :blink:

Well i noticed you have maple trees in your screenshots.  In svt I changed them all to pine trees :)

Those mind games ARE at work I see :)

Edited by Galileo

I'm currently halfway through a 100% IVA zero HUD mission. Flying to the north pole to pick up a contract and build a relay probe on the flats with Valentina, Bill and Bob. Then off to the south west or ummm south I guess since I'm at the pole to basically pick up another contract. Probably should have waited til morning to start this one... Well a bunch of night time landings it is then.
Oh and did I mention the plane has NEVER even been flight tested let alone test landed. Figured out I had mixed up some of my yaw and pitch control surfaces at the pole AFTER landing it and fixed them. (kinda seems right if it were a real flight anyway to do fixes while landed). Was actually a pig to fly before but not such a gimpy pig now the tanks are nearly half empty and the wings are fixed. That leg of the nightmare is over. Landing this on the hilly polar caps for the contract was not fun at all the I've never landed on the hills before. Well not in this thing and not on white hills. Note to self send rover next time.

I genuinely feel I could land a small plane first try in real life. I have an idea of the basics.

5KRLqz6.pngX12BWAh.pngtTbxvKr.pngCAPip13.png

Spoiler

Dusk is upon us......
It's going to get allot colder before we see the sun again boys. Hope you brought some whiskey.
6kFZN2B.png
That might just be Minimus in the corner.
U1gXtH8.png
ICE!!!! And chasing glow to the literal ends of the Kerbin...... We need a new phrase for that.....
8kGIKBc.png
HOW!!!!
0neXGQ6.png
Wait what? this isn't my cockpit is it?
Zl1oVQ0.png
Ummm yeah that's great but I need to see those instruments up front I'm supposed to be landing right now.
OCQrcd0.png
Yeah those ones definitely those instruments!!!! Is this what you call an out of body experience by the way?
ZjJLbtl.png
I DID IT I DID IT!!!! First attempt too. *blows the back of the pressure suits mit like it was nothing*
YRv3h98.png
Time for a much needed break. Pity we couldn't fit any music or beer in the plane cargo. Pah too cold for a party anyway.
VFvxaU5.png
Right enough time spent looking Epic it's time to get the damn relay built. Bill you know what to do.....
Right?......
OuVHcTH.png
Doesn't look like any relay I've ever seen....
HV3BGbg.png
Ummm really Bill?
HcD199Q.png
Well I'll be a big pink man from outer space..... :P It does work.
kYYzWkj.png
Bob wanted to stick around and search for his KoPro . He dropped it in the snow somewhere while Bill was busy working. Ok well Bob did do a little science in fairness but we aren't wasting any more time or batteries keeping the plane from freezing over. Leave it too long and we will be stuck here with dead batteries. You'll just have to let it go. I'm sure we will be back some day.
Di8GD4m.png
That was way easier than at the KSC. Glad you fixed those control surfaces Bill.
yY9pAYF.png
That was way harder than landing on the flats, I'm glad you insisted we put drogues on the plane Bob...
QI5k8su.png
And 30km backtracking later we cross some of the dodgiest terrain this plane has ever seen and launch up a hill.. "But this is it's firs..." Shutup Bob did you really have to butt in there? Am I lying????? "Err no I guess not no..."
SY4fGfI.png
A tad less fuel than I had hoped...
x6HH6vd.png
Leaving the polar region behind us along with Bobs KoPro. Maybe someone will find it some day and upload it to YouKube (TM)
J2VyPci.png

You'll have to wait for the rest another day I'm wrecked and it took a few hours to build this and fly it and then build something in the field too.

On a side note does anyone know how to get parts to snap onto notes with KAS/KIS It ? seems odd I can select the node I want to use but nodes on the target piece seem irrelevant .I'm having to superglue everything together with surface attach which I don't mind too much but I definitely need to be able to attach by node at some point.

Hope you like the pics.

This is bassicly the same comment as in this thread

Anyways, I recently started a RP-0 career, in RSS/RO ofcourse :) 

This is the 4th rocket I designed, I called it 'stella', which is means 'star'.  It doesn't reach orbit, however it can reach space to get some experiments done there. Fully reusable for cost saving.

Spoiler

bANhQiK.jpg

75gl0PP.jpg

B3n7fnO.jpg

E8o0ZZW.jpg

After that launch I had enough to create a sputnik R-7 rocket. I have 'enable stock crafts' turned off, so had to recreate everything myself with google as best friend.

Spoiler

Zp90RJw.jpg

2dtX6hB.jpg

qKRzqNQ.jpg

YP2hO7H.jpg

I really love the real life look alike graphics here, especially in those last 2 images.  

(1.1.3, still 2 to go...) After a review of the available science left on Mün and Minmus, I sat down and hammered out the design for the Fireball 7 science lander. Like the earlier Flaming Death Trap 7, the Fireball craft was designed along the premise of going biome hopping, gathering up as much data possible in an area before moving on. Unlike the Death Trap, Fireball was designed with Mün in mind, with the ability to bring back two samples from each biome and with all of the science instruments unlocked in the wake of Juluna's return from her Minmus science mission. I spent a fair amount of time testing out the ladder system, making sure whoever I sent on the mission wouldn't have to rely on their jetpack to get back into the craft. Ultimately launched two of these craft yesterday - Niigata, with Val and Bob headed to mop up Minmus, and Kokura, with Valcy and Juluna headed towards Mün. At 450 tonnes and √250k a pop, they're both the heaviest and most expensive craft I've launched to date. Hopefully the return on the investment will be worth it.

cuim9Sc.png

Niigata shedding her fairing and deploying solar panels pre-orbital insertion (and before her christening).

A number of my pre-existing craft also got tech upgrades, mainly swapping out OKTO and HEKS probe cores for RGUs and smaller battery packs for Z-1ks, reducing or eliminating the need for service bays. Affected craft included the Spamcan 7 (which also picked up RCS for docking capabilities), Beep-Beep 7 (to which more science instruments and a survey scanner was added) and Superfortress 7. A "Block II" Superfortress was launched with Buremy at the helm and a full load of tourists; the craft is now Mün-bound and has been dubbed Next Objective. Probe Beep-Beep 7k was launched towards Mün for contract, while the orbit of Beep-Beep 7a at Mün was successfully adjusted for contract and a Minmus surface rescue contract was picked up as its replacement. I had already launched Niigata, otherwise I would've left Val at home and incorporated the rescue mission into Bob's science mission. Last thing I did yesterday was a quick up to LKO with Brooke and Ludra aboard; I got them into orbit but ran out of time to bring them back down again.

Didn't do anything with the Bad Idea 5 yesterday but I have a pretty nice glamour shot from its most recent mission a couple of days ago, and I figured I'd finish up on that note...
nRxepsC.png

Edited by capi3101
Had the wrong version up at the top there...

Good day Kerbal Meisters.

http://imgur.com/a/qkqjA

After my tech stop on Duna. I looked at some numbers and decided that another stop on Ike was warranted (That's a fancy word that means I tried to go toward Eve but didn't have enough fuel).

X4t1Y9H.pngQ1K3wRp.png

Allan as been gone for 31 years and is starting to go peculiar.

Tech stop. Ike.

cJD1k1J.png

Leaving for Eve was normal and humdrum.

PturUoK.png

The whole capture and transfer to Gilly was easier (And cheaper) than I ever anticipated.

Stop 12. Eve. Not an actual stop as I can't land and get off again.

bOjzou5.png

Nice. We'll use that one on the space-corps pamphlet.

Stop 13. Gilly.

phe4aOs.pngpj2WmWX.png

Poor Allan is really acting odd now. No more sending Kerbals for long duration trip on their own.

I learned that: Nothing happens very fast on Gilly. Tediously slow actually. Who the heck orbits at 18.6 m/s?

Next world to visit. Moho. Not the last one as I skipped the Mun on my way out.

I played with it last night and I never imagined it would be so far (Delta-V). I can't land, can't orbit and leave later.....So it as to be a flyby. 

I worked it out. I can come back to Eve-Gilly. But poor Allan is in for a long one. Yesterday I got back to Gilly and the clock on the ship was at something like 78 years. Maybe I can reduce the number of orbits, to meet Eve, this time.

Next move for Allan:

Gilly-Moho-Eve-Gilly-Kerbin-Mun-Kerbin......IDK maybe a tech stop on Minmus....if required....I guess....We'll see.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

7 hours ago, ThatHomelessGuy said:

I'm currently halfway through a 100% IVA zero HUD mission. Flying to the north pole to pick up a contract and build a relay probe on the flats with Valentina, Bill and Bob. Then off to the south west or ummm south I guess since I'm at the pole to basically pick up another contract. Probably should have waited til morning to start this one... Well a bunch of night time landings it is then.
Oh and did I mention the plane has NEVER even been flight tested let alone test landed. Figured out I had mixed up some of my yaw and pitch control surfaces at the pole AFTER landing it and fixed them. (kinda seems right if it were a real flight anyway to do fixes while landed). Was actually a pig to fly before but not such a gimpy pig now the tanks are nearly half empty and the wings are fixed. That leg of the nightmare is over. Landing this on the hilly polar caps for the contract was not fun at all the I've never landed on the hills before. Well not in this thing and not on white hills. Note to self send rover next time.

I genuinely feel I could land a small plane first try in real life. I have an idea of the basics.

5KRLqz6.pngX12BWAh.pngtTbxvKr.pngCAPip13.png

Hide contents

Dusk is upon us......
It's going to get allot colder before we see the sun again boys. Hope you brought some whiskey.
6kFZN2B.png
That might just be Minimus in the corner.
U1gXtH8.png
ICE!!!! And chasing glow to the literal ends of the Kerbin...... We need a new phrase for that.....
8kGIKBc.png
HOW!!!!
0neXGQ6.png
Wait what? this isn't my cockpit is it?
Zl1oVQ0.png
Ummm yeah that's great but I need to see those instruments up front I'm supposed to be landing right now.
OCQrcd0.png
Yeah those ones definitely those instruments!!!! Is this what you call an out of body experience by the way?
ZjJLbtl.png
I DID IT I DID IT!!!! First attempt too. *blows the back of the pressure suits mit like it was nothing*
YRv3h98.png
Time for a much needed break. Pity we couldn't fit any music or beer in the plane cargo. Pah too cold for a party anyway.
VFvxaU5.png
Right enough time spent looking Epic it's time to get the damn relay built. Bill you know what to do.....
Right?......
OuVHcTH.png
Doesn't look like any relay I've ever seen....
HV3BGbg.png
Ummm really Bill?
HcD199Q.png
Well I'll be a big pink man from outer space..... :P It does work.
kYYzWkj.png
Bob wanted to stick around and search for his KoPro . He dropped it in the snow somewhere while Bill was busy working. Ok well Bob did do a little science in fairness but we aren't wasting any more time or batteries keeping the plane from freezing over. Leave it too long and we will be stuck here with dead batteries. You'll just have to let it go. I'm sure we will be back some day.
Di8GD4m.png
That was way easier than at the KSC. Glad you fixed those control surfaces Bill.
yY9pAYF.png
That was way harder than landing on the flats, I'm glad you insisted we put drogues on the plane Bob...
QI5k8su.png
And 30km backtracking later we cross some of the dodgiest terrain this plane has ever seen and launch up a hill.. "But this is it's firs..." Shutup Bob did you really have to butt in there? Am I lying????? "Err no I guess not no..."
SY4fGfI.png
A tad less fuel than I had hoped...
x6HH6vd.png
Leaving the polar region behind us along with Bobs KoPro. Maybe someone will find it some day and upload it to YouKube (TM)
J2VyPci.png

You'll have to wait for the rest another day I'm wrecked and it took a few hours to build this and fly it and then build something in the field too.

On a side note does anyone know how to get parts to snap onto notes with KAS/KIS It ? seems odd I can select the node I want to use but nodes on the target piece seem irrelevant .I'm having to superglue everything together with surface attach which I don't mind too much but I definitely need to be able to attach by node at some point.

Hope you like the pics.

Are you on 1.2? and if so does this mean that the RasterProp mod is available now!?

*sigh*

I always struggle with an airplane landing. Loading ten times before I stick the landing. Turning around and approaching a dozen times before trying to stick it - and still failing. And it's usually two or three reverts before my airplane takes off too.

Then someone asked a question. So I whipped up a plane, flew it to the mountain west of KSC and landed on a mountain slope. All in a single try, no reloads, no reverts.

ckgHzdm.png

tl;dr If you want to land on slopes and not slide, forget the landing legs, use landing gear and high friction value.

More rescues of hapless kerbanauts in my 1.2 career game, this time from Minmus orbit.

Unmanned rescue pod headed for Minmus

k0zd8KQ.png

Rescue pod about to dock with the Minmus orbital science station to pick up fuel for the return trip.

FCuTjDs.png

The rescue of Karelia Kerman... things had been getting desperate as she'd run out of her supply of Kerby Krisps

PJzvIdK.png

Rendezvous with the multi re-entry pod vehicle in Kerbin orbit.

doGAUJm.png

Detaching a pod for the trip home

it2xjFf.png

I used up a two kerbal re-entry vehicle with only Karelia in it to grab some much needed funds. A shocking waste, but even Jeb had to get a part time job waiting tables to keep the lights on at the KSC.

Edited by purpleivan

8 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I like being the villain. . . . Too much.  

Just out of curiosity I have noticed that in vanilla sometimes I can leave a vehicle parked somewhere with no scatter intersecting the vehicle but when I come back to it or relaod a save the scatter has re randomised and can even be clipping through my vehicle. How does this effect SVT? You know since the Kraken would now have a new way to screw you over. It's bad enough that in 1.2 it has started creating cracks in the runway, KSC and terrain and sploding landing gear when loading a a scene. (That last one really sucks)

See.
buAcNYM.png
Solution from KAS/KIS
f7UMwwQ.pngbdPZRBJ.png

What I did today was run across a very annoying issue (bug? / feature?), where when viewing my ship and right-click dragging the view around, I suddenly find myself switched to another vessel. This has happened on three different occasions so far, of course, right when I'm about to do a crucial burn (seconds to go). Were punching the screen to serve any purpose, I'd have put my fist clean through it. :mad:

1 hour ago, ThatHomelessGuy said:

Just out of curiosity I have noticed that in vanilla sometimes I can leave a vehicle parked somewhere with no scatter intersecting the vehicle but when I come back to it or relaod a save the scatter has re randomised and can even be clipping through my vehicle. How does this effect SVT? You know since the Kraken would now have a new way to screw you over. It's bad enough that in 1.2 it has started creating cracks in the runway, KSC and terrain and sploding landing gear when loading a a scene. (That last one really sucks)

I have never noticed an issue with the scatter not being persistent in SVT. 

Filled Minmus orbit with trash cans.

2MPaQal.png

0ChmIkr.png

20XOzNc.png

Will have to make a new Kerbin relay network soon, the trash cans there with one omni antenna and one dish won't do after I go to Duna and Eve soon.

Edited by ROXunreal