What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Made some improvements to my USRs (Unmanned Science Rover), including attaching new science experiments and updating my Autorove script with some new options, including speed control.

Took another fresh group of recruits on a orbital training flight.  On the way back, I took an IVA video of the de-orbiting process.  It was actually a lot more nerve-wracking than I expected!  I might have to fly IVA more often :)  The video starts just after the capsule was staged away from the final stage, and just before it hits the upper limits of the atmosphere.

Edited by Slam_Jones

Todays main event:

xUjr9ej.png

I also decided to fly to one of the "?" you see in KerbNet, close to the south pole, around the same longitude as KSC. I didn't have a fast airplane then, so I quickly built an SR-71 clone copy. She has a too high AOA at low speeds in my opinion, but at 866m/s, I can't complain:

1RL9ng5.png

Just 25 minutes later, I arrive at the other continent and start looking. I now assume that it was a Monolith (I didn't find it, unfortunately):

flnfSFD.png

eJc5awH.png

After looking for 10 minutes, I decided to land and end the mission. Nice touchdown speeds of 86m/s. (Scenery is the main focus of the image, though)

4B9IcwH.png

Two terrible accidents!

Two scientists were killed following a structural failure on re-entry that tore off one of their craft's parachutes and led to it slamming into the ground at far too high a speed. Unfortunately they'd been in orbit for several launch-packed weeks, so reverting wasn't possible.

Later a staging error led to a catastrophic launch failure. The crew survived as the command capsule separated in time, but as they floated down they got a lovely view of one of their boosters as it traced a beautifully smooth arc up in to the sky, then down, down, down, under their capsule and straight into the front door of the VAB.

Honestly, it was like it was guided by some sort of malevolent intelligence.

lfMzsy8.png

Can you guess what's this? Yes, it's a booster rocket for a part of MCM (Mun Colonizing Mission)! I sometimes use MechJeb, so now I used it. MechJeb's plan of the flight:

1. First 30 seconds of the flight are just Ap lifting(I need to make a full thrust because I like when at 20 km above ground speed of the rocket is about 1100 m/s! *Muha-ha-ha!!!*).

2. To circulaze orbit in space we are still using the first stage and ignoring what we must use the second stage to circulaze...(*:P*)

3. When FeofileGrotter lefts me to land a ship on the Mun, I must DESTROY THE VESSEL! MUHA-HA-HA-HAAAAAAAA!

OK, now to my favourite topic - SpaceX's Falcon 9:

My first Falcon was 'no-mods' (and it made a selfie with teg #landednearthecactus):

Utugm6y.png

When I constructed the second Falcon, I used FuelTanks Plus (and I didn't put the payload):

Ik4HtFD.png

And the third Falcon was constructed using SpaceY Heavy Lifters and Kerbal Reusability Expansion(or something near) and was landed using FMRS:

bvpoXUv.png

As you can see, I didn't land all of them on a sea platform because I'm a newbie;.;.

Edited by FeofileGrotter

With fourteen days to the launch window, I decided that the time had come to begin sending up the hardware for the first Duna/Ike expedition. Plans call for an armada of twenty craft heading out at this window, with all but one of those scheduled to remain in the Duna SOI at the conclusion of the mission. The Dunaport space station and a Spamcan 7b crew lander were both launched on Sunday. Yesterday saw the launch of the Ikeport space station with scientist Siglock Kerman in command as well as the launch of the first Faux News 7 satellite delivery module, with engineer Magster Kerman manning the craft to a rendezvous and docking with Dunaport. Yesterday also saw the launch of the refineries Enchova Central and Scan Queen, which are headed to Duna and Ike respectively. A pair of Nostromo 7 ore haulers and three Hellhound 7 rovers rounded out yesterdays set of launches, and this morning I launched the first of two Old Bessie 7 craft. With the ferry ship Strange Cargo already launched and docked at the Kerbinport space station, this brings the total number of craft ready to go so far to thirteen. I still need to launch another Spamcan, another Bessie, another Faux News, two Heartbreak Hotel outpost modules (they're required for contracts) and a pair of Fireball 7c science landers (the last of which are a bit tricky since they have yet to be designed). Total price tag so far is about √6M; plans to get an Alcubierre warp ship in my career save have been set back quite a little ways, unfortunately. The contracts I have at Duna and Ike should help make up the difference pretty rapidly, though.

TL, DR: Been standing under a lot of rockets lighting fuses of late. Must learn to run faster...

Edited by capi3101

Finally made myself a stock cargo SSTO.

DofZm6y.png

xnTrc00.png

y5fNim3.png

Since I didn't calculate anything, I don't know how much delta-v it has. But in LKO liquid fuel is at ~50%, with 12700 units, oxidizer has 3180 units left.

Other specs:

Mass after reaching LKO: 179t.
Mass tanks empty: 99.1t.
Mass tanks full: 269.1t.
Part count: 266.

Let's see if I can land this bird on Duna.

Edited by Azimech

The second orbital Ceti probe returns, using 3 aerobrake passes and half its fuel and RCS to ensure a safe desecent into the depths of the atmosphere. It crashes at a little over 11m/s, destroying the lowest, shortest tanks (all part of the plan), delivering a hefty 1100+ :science: and allowing the unlock of 3 tech nodes.

Oh... RIP solar panels. :D They were separate parts from the main ring which was also pretty vulnerable to heat.

g998bwC.jpg

UNHVqmJ.jpg

AJliDEO.jpg

The first SSTO, an upgrade of the Blue Mun globetrotter science plane, gets parachute testing and decent equipment for retrieving 2.5m modules from space, and keeping the crew efficiently sustained for a week or two. It's not intended to reach anywhere near Iota, though. Bigger, better SSTOs shall come.

It's currently bound to reach the Bigby Zero probe that was stranded at Ceti and now hangs in low Gael orbit, and may become the official shuttle between the the Gael station and the surface.

WyEtiOS.jpg

The IP Seer, bound for a Tellumo flyby. It runs on ArgonGas and was lifted on a rather powerful launcher with M2X air-augmented solid boosters. Each of the two WBI Telegraph dishes are more powerful than the stock RA-100, I think, so loss of comms at the greatest distance between Gael and Tellumo hopefully is a non-issue.

It's about time to plan moon stations and lengthy manned missions within Gael's SOI... And maybe to raise my main-game to 1.3.1.

KrzttMM.jpg

Today I started a new sandbox for the new mods I found yesterday. Desinged and flew a few LKO missions in (almost) full IVA. Oh boy, it's much different than flying stock...

First test flight was simple: Get to orbit without "normal" camera, and map view. It was tricky at first, but once you get familiar with the different screens, you can get the hang of it. Nothing you can't do with the Pleides 1

2SD4c6q.png

The second mission was a joint flight. I wanted to test the compatibility between the M.O.L.E. docking ports and the stock docking ports. Also, it was a priority to do it in IVA. So I prepped the Elf 1 (Piloted by Jeb) and the Orca 1 (Piloted by Val and Bill), sent them up seperately and did tried the rendezvous in IVA. Of course, I overshot the incalation, so I had to use the map to plan the correction burns, but other than that, the launch, the approach and the docking went in IVA. The mission was a success, the docking ports are indeed compatible with each other. Without further to do in LKO I transferred Jeb to the Orca 1 and seperated the two crafts. I left the Elf 1 in orbit for further endevours.

puRPsWu.png

aW95X10.png

6tutQ4N.png

FqvIBeB.png

The deorbiting was unevetful, but thanks to sheer luck I managed to land near KSC.

5fh4C3c.png

q3kHvb9.png

It was a fun mission, really different from the stock external camerawork. The docking itself was easier because the screen gives you much more information.

dsauZKC.png

Edited by NotJebediah
Typo

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I thought Baba Yaga was an old hag with one leg?

I'm not sure about the leg thing- she's my second favourite witch (after Hama from Avatar: The Last Airbender), although I haven't read the stories about her since I was a kid. but I was just commenting on the house with Chicken Legs.

1240 parts.

95320 units of solid fuel.

4 launches of a massive lifter.

1 more launch of a small lifter not necessary but preferred (who cares, I'm not going to launch it).

The first climax of an idea I first had four months ago.

2056 tons.

Wobbly. Kraken inducing. Hopefully it will subside with some autostrut juggling.

vyTJmkD.png

SRB grand tour is ready for departure.

First stop: Eve.

EDIT: First stop, CKAN to install KAC. Second stop, Eve.

Also, any ideas about what I should name this thing? For the life of me I can't come up with a good enough name...

Edited by Ultimate Steve

1 hour ago, Kosmonaut said:

I'm not sure about the leg thing- she's my second favourite witch (after Hama from Avatar: The Last Airbender), although I haven't read the stories about her since I was a kid. but I was just commenting on the house with Chicken Legs.

Well, if that hadn't been in support of a Russian proverb, I might have thought the hut on chicken legs belonged to Sheelba of the Eyeless Face (from the Fafhrd & Grey Mouser books).  :wink: