What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I had to launch a "rescue" mission for Jeb who was hiding in a rover. A rover placed in orbit for a mothership assembly.

The main problem was : Jeb is not supposed to participate to this mission ! I think it is difficult for him to wait for the next big mission, perhaps I will give him a tourism an training mission.

I also took some time to make pictures of my big Mad Max rover....

y4mbxxF755Pxvmfaza1lbzj7f40CKOIuxkpuhUus

Edited by Urus28

16 minutes ago, Urus28 said:

Today I had to launch a "rescue" mission for Jeb who was hiding in a rover. A rover placed in orbit for a mothership assembly.

The main problem was : Jeb is not supposed to participate to this mission ! I think it is difficult for him to wait for the next big mission, perhaps I will give him a tourism an training mission.

As far as Jeb is concerned, there is no mission that isn't improved by a little Jeb.

9 hours ago, Corona688 said:

NAILED A DOCKING STRAIGHT FROM ORBIT I SWEAR no mechjeb, no nothing just navball and quicksave.

docking-from-orbit.jpg

Took three tries, primarily due to my own stupidity.  In tries 1 and 2, I forgot to "control from" the bottom docking port and ended up off by a meter or so :o

Surface docking is a real pain to do, you should definitely be pleased. I needed at least 10 tries to do a successful surface docking at an old mun base. I eventually determined that it was much easier and cost a lot less fuel to just land really close and transfer the fuel with a rover.

Been working on a fighter jet to send to Tape's Fighter Jet Showdown (maybe). The plane is good, but I am having trouble with the AI pilot settings. Also not particularly sure what the strategy it uses. 

XkOvj7H.jpg

I put two of them up against two Sukhoi 27s I found on KerbalX, and it was a carnival.  The thing went about like this. First thing they do after reaching the 8km start distance for the tournament, is turn around, and line up to fire missiles. Nothing wrong with that.

But then, just as they're about to fire them, they decide to start taking evasive action to avoid the missiles that  the Sukhois have fired, despite those missiles being a good 7 kilometers away. The planes are fully capable of dodging missiles, and have chaff and such, so do well at that, so eventually the fighting gets close in.

And then the planes just start dancing around doing absolutely nothing. I had a couple times when one of my aircraft was about 100m behind a Sukhoi, pointing directly at it, but it just flat out refused to take the easy shot with any of its weapons. Most of the time they didn't even seem to make a particular effort to even do that. I really don't get it. Maybe the AI pilot doesn't understand them. Anyways, it keeps doing that for a long time. On my 3rd match, a Sukhoi managed to shoot one of my planes down, and then my second plane just made a run for it. It however had done too much dancing and ran out of fuel soon after this picture was taken.

Anyways, while it wasn't quite in KSP per-se, I managed to permanently delete about 3 hours of video editing for a Christmas/New-Years KSP video I was planning to release tonight. (I deleted something called "Sequence #1" which I thought was a duplicate of some already integrated footage, but turned out to be THE footage.)

Died a little on the inside. ;.;

*Might* still be able to get it out tonight. But only if I stop typing this right now and get back to work.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

I took crew up to and down from my Kerbin Station at 200K

0MYfSQ5.jpg

And sent one of the guys to the surface from my Mun Station to collect data from a probe/relay

HEcvHMk.jpg

This little lander is fly-by-wire and can land at any latitude on the surface and return to the station. It is also great for surface rescues.

I want to say "shameless plug" but advertising my own stuff just feels dirty.  Let's see how this flies-

Come try your hand at safe cracking with @Castille7 and klond's (and Bill's) Safecracking Challenge.

Can you get it open?  What's inside?  Will we ever know?  Come find out in the challenge forum.

SWvctPZ.jpg

Edited by klond

8 hours ago, Mjarf said:

Surface docking is a real pain to do, you should definitely be pleased. I needed at least 10 tries to do a successful surface docking at an old mun base. I eventually determined that it was much easier and cost a lot less fuel to just land really close and transfer the fuel with a rover.

I wouldn't want to have to do it on the mun.  You should try it on Minmus, you can hover for freaking hours for almost nothing.  Another way to cheat, math+thrust limiter on engines for near-perfect hover.

1 hour ago, klond said:

I want to say "shameless plug" but advertising my own stuff just feels dirty.  Let's see how this flies-

Come try your hand at safe cracking with @Castille7 and klond's (and Bill's) Safecracking Challenge.

Can you get it open?  What's inside?  Will we ever know?  Come find out in the challenge forum.

SWvctPZ.jpg

I can (ha ha) safely say that that'll take a long time to crack. I like how people build all kinds of crazy stuff in a game about space.

Anyway, after failures, reverting, spazzing, explosions, wobbling, running out of fuel, more explosions, not having enough fuel, explosions, reverting the flight and explosions, my Kerbollo 5 mission has FINALLY reached Mun orbit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

It took a long time, so I won't detail every fail. But, as well as everything else in life, the answer was adding MOAR boosters. I initially tried adding Thumper SRBs, but then I decided that I needed even MOAR thrust so I added Kickbacks. Once the vehicle got to orbit, I set Mun as my target, created a maneuver node, saw it was about 650 m/s, waited for the node, prayed (to the Kraken, not God) and burned. Surprisingly, we not only did not run out of fuel, but even had a tiny amount left in the upper stage. Whatever. It wouldn't be any use anyway. The Apollo-style part of this mission then came into play, and I did the transposition and docking (you know, the part where the command module rotates around and docks with the lunar module). We did a correction burn, warped to our Mun encounter, and made a retrograde burn to reach a low orbit.

I celebrated, and nearly forgot to quicksave. Luckily I did, and then I quicksaved again for good measure. Perhaps symbolically, angelic choir music started to play. Enough for today, I'll land tomorrow in my metal can. (Seriously, that's what my lander looks like. I wish there was some way to colour parts so I could make the descent stage of my lander gold like the real ones.) 

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Explorer 2 has departed for Eeloo.

owtyFC7.png

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've decided to cut Explorer 1's mission short and send this new vessel to make the first Kerbaled landing on Eeloo. Her cargo consists of a re-usable lander to be left on-site and a supplementary science package (containing a Science Jr., a Mystery Goo container and an Experiment Storage Unit) that will be returned to Kerbin for analysis. Her crew consists of founding astronauts Valentina (pilot/commander,) Bill (engineer) and Bob (scientist) as well as co-scientist Jocia Kerman, who was originally found in a derelict ship orbiting Gilly and refuses to answer any questions about how she got there. The ship is due to arrive in two years, three-hundred ninety-eight days.

6 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

The plane is good, but I am having trouble with the AI pilot settings.

Hmm. I wouldn't mind helping you. I would need to take a look personally, but from past experience, the craft and the AI settings are superfinicky. Also - you sure it has ammo?

In other news.... released some late-ish christmas video and also did the safe cracking thing. Less by proper "cracking" and more by pure brute forcing the hinge to become nonexistent.

4 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Hmm. I wouldn't mind helping you. I would need to take a look personally, but from past experience, the craft and the AI settings are superfinicky. Also - you sure it has ammo?

In other news.... released some late-ish christmas video and also did the safe cracking thing. Less by proper "cracking" and more by pure brute forcing the hinge to become nonexistent.

It does indeed have ammo. I have fired the gun and launched missiles manually on numerous occasions before. I might let you take a look (if you want) in a bit. Right now I need to keep working on New Year's KSP video because I have no life am an introvert and I do silly stuff like this instead of celebrating with other people. :P 

Assembled every piece of functioning orbital debris into one glorious katamari:

stretch-limo.jpg

The "stretch-limo" in front, assembled from a passenger tug, lander, and discarded piece of station, is especially interesting.  Now that I have a fuel service running on Minmus, it may be a decent courier.

Edited by Corona688

Christmas 2013 - my son buys me Kerbal Space Program. I worked through failure after failure to get to space. What excitement when I finally made orbit. Learned to land on Minmus first because landing on Mun seemed impossible without skills. Moons down, went for Duna. Took a few rescue missions to build a ship capable of the return trip. What to do next? Why not go to Moho. I had no idea it was hard. It took many attempts to end up with city sized craft that could manage the mission. All this was done before I ever heard of Dv or TWR. It was all seat of the pants over engineering. Mostly it was fun.

Today I threw together a transfer ship and set my 2 stage Apolloish lander on top with a few Moho specific tweaks. The lander performed precisely as planned. Due to a blown transfer to Moho a lot of fuel was wasted getting back on course. This caused an issue later. That's when I noticed I was about to stage my reaction wheels. I ended up bringing the upper stage of the lander back to Kerbin as I needed its RCS and SAS. While much more thought out and designed than my first time around, there is definitely need for changes. Mostly it is still fun.

ZskFygl.jpg

I'm gearing up for a Von Braun style Duna mission with the first of three nuclear tugs.

RADKDQk.png

And for a space battle of epic proportions (well, 1.5x proportions)

54apVyq.png

The S-foils can be moved to attack mode, but I'm still working on how to dock them.