What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I have been messing around with a portable science gathering station to go to Mun and Minmus, this should be able to clear out my tech tree in 2 missions or less depending on how it goes. From there I am thinking I may try to increase the difficulty by trying something I have seen another person do, but I am a bit frightened by the reentry part of it.

10pox8j.png

Following a mishap where my Kerbin lander had hit nose-down without parachutes, I tested what happens if it hits nose-up without parachutes. Bob got the job of crash test dummy.

13257073374_c69a99e99f_c.jpg

Testing demonstrated the impact is non-survivable.

The other day, after landing on the last Mun biome and finishing my science there (or at least as much of it as I'll worry about right now) I wondered if it would be useful to launch a single mission to Minmus that could hit every biome there in one trip. Rather than a single ship for all the biomes, I did something more like an interplanetary mission, with a command ship and numerous landers docked to it. And so I built the Minmus Discovery.

screenshot45.png

Not the biggest or complex design in KSP history, but for me it's the closest I've yet built to a major spaceship. I decided to wait until tomorrow before building and launching the landers it'll carry, since I realallized after the five or six times I had to restart the Discovery's two sub-assembly launches because I screwed up on rather simple mistakes that I've been awake for 24 hours. I'm unnecessarily endangering kerbal lives at this point. Sleep now, landers in the morning.

Rescue missions are the order of the day. After a recent unfortunate incident an empty ship was left in munar orbit. Today I sent two kerbals to rendezvous and the braver of the pair got into his EVA suit for a quick 300 metre jaunt to board it and take control.

Next stop is picking up a stranded kerbal and then it's time to go back home.

2uh9zwj.png

Launched 6 kerbals and four rovers to the moon as two missions. The first landed near the equator and despite crashing one of its rovers, it retrieved science from 3 different biomes.

5zsjT9d.jpg

The second mission landed near the south pole with a prototype base which I had hoped had enough power to support 3 Kerbals throughout the Munar night (I'm using TAC life support). The mission hit disaster though when Jebediah was killed in a rover crash and the base module ran out of power during the night, resulting in an emergency evacuation back to Kerbin for the remaining 2 kerbals.

Not much done today. I finished filling up the Typhon 2 transfer stage (finally) through a Barn Burner mission. Not "reusable", but it delivered a lot more fuel at once than the Auk VIII. Might fly the Auk again when economy comes into play in a few versions. I'll be flying four more Barn Burner missions to the Typhon; those will be fuel payload to send to Eve along with a return stage for my Eve lander. My Eve lander is nearing completion; I just need to add ladders for Jeb at this point and it'll be ready to go. Most of the elements are in place at this point for me to make the attempt. Will keep y'all posted on how it goes.

Learnt that I didn't have the right abort actions set on my Mun rocket, and that having a Kerbal in the lander on ascent is a bad idea. Poor Jeb...

Now got one mission in Munar orbit and another en-route. Chances I forget to move a Kerbal into the lander before decoupling it? High.

In my career mode game without science experiments, I did my second Mun landing, this time with three kerbals.

silly_mun_lander.jpeg

The lander was a bit silly, as I did't have lander cans or multi-kerbal pods unlocked. There should have been enough fuel to do a second Minmus landing as well, but I was flying carelessly, so I only managed to do a flyby. Still, I got enough science points to unlock docking ports and hitchhikers, so I could build the first interplanetary ship in that game.

ship_to_gilly.jpeg

Next stop: Gilly.

Meanwhile in my main sandbox game, I delivered the final habitation module to the Laythe base, and refueled the cargo ship for its return trip to Kerbin.

cargo_delivered.jpeg

Despite the problems with the first module, I managed to land the remaining three modules close to each other.

laythe_base.jpeg

Now I just need an inspiration for rovers and other base modules, before I can send the colonists there.

Guys, I've been waiting now for about a half hour for these two things to stop wobbling and actually dock. Ran out of RCS fuel, too, mind you.

tJ7unLx.png

I suspect it will take another hour, considering the ship on the right is the small one at a measly 128 tons

I couldn't get a shot that showed the whole station on the left without losing sight of the ship on the right due to how large it is and how much I'd need to zoom out.

I hope 100 tons of EL Ore gets me plenty of rocket parts.