What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I managed to get my .24.2 save working in .25 and to my surprise my game breaking bug was fixed! I don't know why or how, but I thought there was a slim chance so I went for it since there was a lot of stuff I didn't want to lose. I'm still getting a few incompatible mod errors but nothing has gone wrong so far. In celebration I remade my newish spaceplane (which unfortunately doesn't work quite as well as it did with SP+ the mod although it's almost identical).

KSP2014-10-0722-23-35-50.jpg~original

I also decided to attempt my base drive to the pole from KSC. I wanted to send more but it's not as stable as I'd like it to be as is so I'll send more later if need be, probably by suborbital rocket. It's a little ambitious but I think I can do it with the plane to scout ahead and pick the best route, provided nothing blows up. For some reason every now and then this thing blows a couple wheels out when physics enable, but that could be because I'm using KAS which may or may not actually be compatible with .25.

KSP2014-10-0802-59-36-38.jpg~original

First, I decided to give the new parts a try. In a new career save.

twUReKH.png

Then, I started making something I call the Laythe AquaExplr Pod.

RZZWoJL.png

It is fun. Kerbals make good jacks when you need to change a wheel.

AayVoiY.png

Now I need to make a decision. I don't expect this to get to Jool until forever, but must choose now between science, and aesthetics.....

o7WMfK0.png

Edited by Tw1

I reworked my engines-in-bombbays VTOL prototype with the new parts, the new profile makes them fit together much better. Interestingly, the VTOL engines work just fine even with the bays closed (this was the case with SP+ as well).

screenshot34.png

screenshot32.png

screenshot26.png

screenshot31.png

screenshot41.png

screenshot61.png

Edited by Red Iron Crown

Installed 0.25 and copied over my save from 0.24.2, as well as my mods (mainly to see which ones worked and which ones were no longer necessary) and my flags. Was determined to bomb the KSC, but I'm still having problems getting my graphics settings right it seems - LoadOnDemand isn't working with 0.25 yet and all the new 'splody structures around KSC make the game pretty laggy close to the surface (at least on my ultra-low end box). Probably not the best of times to experiment with VTOLs, but I did it anyway...

In case anybody's wondering, all of the structures in my instance of KSP are still intact this morning. Several reverts have taken place.

Jeb set off celebratory pyrotechnics upon the release of 0.25, enjoying the new FX.

This is fantastic and it should be featured somewhere! Send it along to the Dev team as a thank you. :D

Now we just need an alternate version with music as well. Great work Geschosskopf!

I reworked my engines-in-bombbays VTOL prototype with the new parts, the new profile makes them fit together much better. Interestingly, the VTOL engines work just fine even with the bays closed (this was the case with SP+ as well).

Hmmm. That wasn't the case for me... closing the cargo bays seemed to cut thrust (at least with two Basic Jets in there).

(at 0:42)

Hmmm. That wasn't the case for me... closing the cargo bays seemed to cut thrust (at least with two Basic Jets in there).

http://youtu.be/RMRo4TXeCxM

(at 0:42)

Interesting. I didn't test it all that thoroughly, just noticed the exhaust effect came straight through it. The nozzles on the engines were very close to the doors though, and I know that some of the thrust transforms actually start a bit away from the nozzle, so I might have just gotten lucky.

I am in love with the new spaceplane parts.

I've been trying to find cool ways to destroy building in my sandbox save, and I say, cargo bays and alt node snapping are really, really nice.

Also the MK1 textures are really clean and go well with almost anything now.

myQPjvk.png

don't mind the extremely pixelated image, I run on the lowest of low

Lots of things!

First, I saved a copy of my 0.24 game elsewhere on my harddrive, then I wiped the saves and screenshots folder of the steam version and updated to 0.25. After a quick look at the difficulty presets, I decided to start a new career in Moderate mode, which is basically already how I want it. Went through the first few contracts slowly, getting five different Altitude Record contracts - the first three just with an RT-10 each, just different levels of fuel and thrust. Grabbed some part tests, reports and samples, too.

fqspp1.png

l1Ry7y.png

caPuch.png

An early plane, performing part tests for the decoupler, LT-45, launch clamp and separatrons, then landing safely in the ocean to get reports and samples. I also restricted my research, only researching a given node if all nodes on the previous level were researched.

2QWj2l.png

(a previous version of the below, didn't quite make orbit. Nice explosion from the radial decoupler test)

ETNblq.png

6yT9r8.png

This rocket performed a couple of landed tests (radial decoupler and medium booster), got orbit and tested the Skipper there. It was meant to test the LV-909 hidden within, too, but I staged it at the wrong time. It landed in the desert, blowing off one of its batteries when it tipped onto the ground. More reports and samples!

WLqSOm.png

qBzB5t.png

Made a small plane to test the jet engine and the 48-7S in flight. Didn't make it to space, though. I think it was around this time that I decided I'd built up enough of a starting stock of funds and reputation to start changing them for science. I went to the Admin building and activated both Unpaid Research and Outsourced R&D at a 25% commitment each. This is seriously science-lucrative, but you don't get anything for the lost money from advances. This exchange makes it easily viable to run a career without any science experiment equipment at all, so I decided not to buy the Goo or Materials Lab. I'll probably get the thermometer when I decide to put up a satellite.

57Pa0T.png

IkJb99.png

A rescue mission, also testing the smallest and largest SRBs in different situations, along with the Hydraulic Manifold and radial parachutes. The LV-909 orbital test altitude was at the periapse of the kerbonaut's orbit, so I got that, too. The return was mostly a guess, but it came down rather close to KSC, so I'm happy with it.

bP9yoc.png

soDgGh.png

H93kKz.png

A spaceplane, testing the Hydraulic Manifold, the structural pylon, the stack decoupler (landed), and both kinds of jet. Getting all the heights and speeds was a little tough, and it took two tries to make orbit and return to the runway.

MiuqxI.png

7c6FTp.png

Finally, a little design work on something I like to call the Moth. Checking the new Mk2 parts out. A previous version of this took off fine, running out of fuel on the way to orbit. It could still take off with the added tanks, just about, but I decided my time was better spent landing the other plane. With the science gained from various missions, I changed the central three basic jets for turbojets and the circular intakes for rams, also using the smaller Mk2 Jet Fuel fuselage.

Within the Moth is a legless lander and transfer/crasher stage for Mun, that should be able to return alone. I also think that the lander part could dock back in, if it were in orbit close enough. The Moth should be capable of a rescue mission and a Mun mission, also testing the LV-T45 on the runway - which I'll do another day.

Edited by Concentric

...Updated to 0.25:

VkwOte4.jpg

VJd5067.jpg

SbTedpw.jpg

or2IONT.jpg

dmc2vDU.jpg

Pu4ucLZ.jpg

The wings ruined it for me.

A wing connected behind a wing(something I do in EVERY design of mine), doesn't work.

Well damnit, gonna have to find a way to cope with it. As if making planes wasn't complicated enough without any bugs >:-[

Edited by Overfloater

...Updated to 0.25:

http://i.imgur.com/VkwOte4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VJd5067.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SbTedpw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/or2IONT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dmc2vDU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Pu4ucLZ.jpg

The wings ruined it for me.

A wing connected behind a wing(something I do in EVERY design of mine), doesn't work.

Well damnit, gonna have to find a way to cope with it. As if making planes wasn't complicated enough without any bugs >:-[

Kinda looks like an early Von Braun design. a la Tin Tin.

I finished up the RDA's mobile lab currently stationed around Minmus and brought up both the biome hopper and Karbonite miner to dock with it. The KSA are going to send up 2-3 Sirius crew vehicles over the coming 100 days to get most of the crew back to Kerbin as the lab currently is overpopulated and most missions are done.

Pics:

The hopper was a cooperation between Aperture Laboratories and the Resources Development Administration with crew from the Kerbal Space Agency. Everybody wins.

cOl7TUn.png

With Minmus, Kerbin and the Mun visible!

bTs47qT.png

This is why it's mobile.

tM11NEU.png

I sent an adapter to dock with my Moho Base (come to think of it, I don't really know why I even bothered to put it on), and realized as I was approaching the station that I had Monoprop, but no RCS thrusters-- I put them on the engines by mistake. So, for 30 minutes I sent a brave Kerbal out to push the adapter into the station to dock.

I almost tried to post a link to my hard drive before I realized you can't upload images on these forums for some reason.

I tried .25 and crashed into the space plane hanger which just crashed my laptop, I tried again but had an error going into the cockpit and out ended up with the camera at an odd angle and smashed into the ground.

Love the capsules are now stronger, watching a mk2 cockpit cartwheeling to a stop is pretty damn funny

Will be sticking to .24.2 for now as my career is unfinished and had a massive drop in performance drop in .25