What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

@EndOfTheEarth : That looks... interesting. Is it balanced enough to roll everywhere without capsizing or engines getting ripped off ?

Haven't had any issues with it so far. I had a pretty heavy descent stage on the thing, and what you see there is still loaded with fuel, so it manages to hug the ground pretty well, considering the low gravity.

The complicated bit was that all the tires popped when I first landed it. After I got one of the kerbals out to reinflate one, the whole ship flew up 7m from the phantom kick that happens every time you do that. RCS, SAS, and very fast switching helped mitigate it.

So I just maxed out the tech tree in career.

Here is some brief history of the space program.

This photo was leaked during the early days of the space program.

NsFWbMy.png

The first landing on another celestial body.

PBgwxdE.png

Moho flyby

JVUkIXJ.png

Duna/Ike land and return ship at its destination.

EurjStW.png

First landing on another planet.

5b5Uqxl.png

And to finish it off I did a Dres landing and return for my first time. (only been to dres once before)

AMAYpeZ.png

Ready to head back home.

Csh2ixE.png

Sent Jeb his return fuel. (You may remember from earlier that Jeb just about got back into Mun orbit with the lander out of the Moth's cargo bay.) Also, I took the opportunity to grab a couple more parts tests.

ei3Wwj.png

dTBljq.png

ps7qpz.png

Allow me to introduce the Foil. Powered by a single RAPIER engine, the Foil is a cargo-carrying, docking-capable SSTO spaceplane. It takes off before the runway ends, tilting carefully to avoid scraping the engine along the ground, then climbs reasonably sharply. It is perhaps important to note that in the lower atmosphere, it is easier to raise the nose than it later becomes - in fact, if you select a good angle of attack, then that will be kept during the flight. Higher up, however, the nose tends to dip whenever the controls are touched. The 24-77s on the underslung intake-tank components are used at critical points in the flight, where speed and base thrust are too low to climb, but altitude is too low to build speed. These points occur before the underslung tanks are fully drained to feed the jet, and afterwards, the 24-77s are disabled to conserve fuel. The RAPIER continues in airbreathing mode to a surprising (to me) height and speed.

K2AsVv.png

ruPhcS.png

PNIMcF.png

The RAPIER test was in flight at ~11km, ~300m/s, which was about right for the ascent profile. The 48-7S test was suborbital, so I had to open the cargo bay doors to shut down that engine before circularising with the RAPIER.

KeNAw2.png

DXUXhs.png

oWtTOO.png

pFjEsq.png

6HelZl.png

wKukqq.png

Landing wasn't too hard. Fired up the RAPIER to finetune the descent, switching to airbreathing mode once oxidiser ran out. I also transferred the fuel to the LF tank near the cockpit to bring the CoM forward a bit more. On the runway itself, I forgot to put on the brakes when I first touched down, and bounced a little, but landed fine without breaking anything.

KzofW1.png

6lxVEL.png

The refueller probe has LFO and monopropellant, and also a thermometer and antenna, so it can be left in Mun orbit as a data satellite and small fuel dump. This is more than enough to get Mun orbit and refuel Jeb's ship. It can also transmit his reports to complete the Explore Mun mission, while it's there.

KzWYDp.png

pG4yW4.png

jtmDdC.png

zSBn78.png

Moved the satellite up to a more reasonable orbit after Jeb burned his escape.

DYyxjK.png

ox9WeR.png

QxXQ7t.png

UTgLSB.png

Took a couple of aerobraking passes to get a nice, low orbit from which to try to come down close to KSC. I eventually settled on coming down in the highlands just before the mountains before KSC itself, grabbing a couple of reports for some last-moment science. Burned a touch of fuel to soften the landing - otherwise the impact looked to be about the speed that had surprised me by destroying a 48-7S on the Mun in a timeline that never was.

Anyway, Jeb is safely home, and with the funds from the completed missions, I'm now above the half-million mark.

0.25 and auto update in steam nuked my old games, time for sandboxing as science is getting old after a couple of times :P

Started building a Minmus Karbonite base, but after even a 32t truck bouncing around like it`s nothing, it became a Mun base.

Idea #1 was to have a truck be able to mine and move to a base/build a base around the truck after finding a nice rich&flat position.

Toppling the truck lifter, twice, and toppling my orbital drop ship after bringing the first storage tank down it was time for a small design change.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I love IR&KAS.

Karbonite might feel abit of a cheat, but would be fun to try and build a base for that and tow an astroid into Mun orbit as launch stage.

I did some tweaking to my V3M spaceplane (direct continuation of the V2M from .24) and tonight it carried its first payload to orbit. I've been using a smaller version of it for atmospheric only flight and it's quite stable but the SSTO version still needs a little work. It's so slow after rebuilding everything to be .25 friendly that it barely takes off the runway and as it climbs up to 25km I am hallucinating birds circling around it and outrunning the air intakes for fun. Once I switch over the RAPIERs and power up the NERVA though, it's all business. At least until I shut off the RAPIERs altogether, then it's slow again, but I knew that (conserves fuel). If you missed it, and assuming you care, this is a sideways step from the larger Valkyrie predecessor. This new one is lighter, more maneuverable in atmosphere, and more fuel efficient. But again that trade off is for lack of speed and payload. Without further ado I give you the V3M-SD (Satellite Deployment) on it's first mission to drop off a satellite into LKO for a contract:

Everything looking good on the ground (had to test if the payload would need struts or not, it didn't). I almost went back and moved the reaction wheels closer to COM, but I remembered the reason I set it up this way ages ago is because that weight is always the same but the payload varies, so I wanted the payload to be closer to COM to reduce instability during a mission.

KSP2014-10-1222-11-37-35.jpg~original

Climbing, my pilots are a bit worried. I had to keep tipping the nose down during ascent to make sure my speed was great enough to keep the air flowing.

KSP2014-10-1222-38-37-09.jpg~original

I like this shot

KSP2014-10-1222-40-56-09.jpg~original

Here goes nothing...

KSP2014-10-1222-46-52-08.jpg~original

Payload successfully deployed

KSP2014-10-1222-58-29-19.jpg~original

KSP2014-10-1222-59-08-26.jpg~original

Reentry was a little shaky but we made it. Had to transfer a little fuel to get some semblance of balance back. I wasn't TOO worried because one of the test platforms had to land with no reaction wheels (no electric) and did just fine on control surfaces alone.

KSP2014-10-1223-35-37-69.jpg~original

Cruising towards KSC

KSP2014-10-1223-42-05-70.jpg~original

Approaching for an early morning landing.

KSP2014-10-1223-47-00-70.jpg~original

KSP2014-10-1223-48-34-04.jpg~original

Home sweet home.

KSP2014-10-1223-48-58-23.jpg~original

I guess this is a lot of spaceplane for a little payload but it's very versatile. It can theoretically act as a single stage to Mun or Minmus vehicle, but would definitely need a refuel to come back. Which is okay because I have a tanker station in orbit of both and a Kethane operation on Minmus.

Edited by Duke23
how do I English

5Sc5pKY.jpg

I built Mo-Henge 1, a megalithic solar observatory. It records all the risings and settings of Kerbol as viewed from Moho's equator and can be used to determine both Moho's inclination and eccentricity, and various other things. Then the crew danced around the central gnomon under the direction fo High Priest Jeb, honoring The Kraken. It's an interesting place, what with Moho's days lasting a significant fraction of its years and Kerbol doing weird things in the sky all the time.

A full report in the appropriate topic will follow shortly, and then off to build Ho-Henge 2 at a higher lattitude so it will look cooler.

http://imgur.com/a/pEq8E#0

MY 5TH SUCCESSFULL SSTO MISSION IN GLORIOUS PHOTOGRAPH!!!! i have done 5 in a row so far after many months of failed desings and flat spins, 5 consecutive safe takeoffs, full >100km orbits, and safe reentries and 100% intact landings!!! YESSSSSS!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

i am pleased.... :) first successful SSTO i have ever made was made today, after literally months of failiures

Edited by joethebeast22

http://i.imgur.com/5Sc5pKY.jpg

I built Mo-Henge 1, a megalithic solar observatory. It records all the risings and settings of Kerbol as viewed from Moho's equator and can be used to determine both Moho's inclination and eccentricity, and various other things. Then the crew danced around the central gnomon under the direction fo High Priest Jeb, honoring The Kraken. It's an interesting place, what with Moho's days lasting a significant fraction of its years and Kerbol doing weird things in the sky all the time.

A full report in the appropriate topic will follow shortly, and then off to build Ho-Henge 2 at a higher lattitude so it will look cooler.

Cool, does it work as expected?

You might want to increase the part size, the current version lack an megalithic feel.

Finally starting to get the hang of aircraft, and flew 3 or 4 circuits last night managing to land my latest creation back on the runway each time rather than my previous attempts of dumping somewhere on the flat patch around KSC and maybe exploding in the process. I then tried to get it in to orbit but I think it was too underpowered with 2 turbojets and an aerospike (30ish tonne aircraft). I'm thinking either 3 turbojets and 2 aerospikes or I go to 4 turbojets and fit a more powerful rocket. I can probably cut down on the wing too as I'm landing it at about 60m/s.

Tried to use NREP in 0.25 again yesterday. Despite KSP's warning to the contrary, the mod works just fine - and the test weight makes a pretty reliable object of destruction. I have noticed that destroying KSC buildings seems to be more of a function of mass than speed. Case in point: I managed to destroy the freakin' launchpad three times (didn't realize that was even possible) in my quest to destroy the VAB due to floppy rocket syndrome - I lit the rocket, let go the launch clamps, that one hundred tonne NREP weight I'd added would tap the launchpad barely going 20 m/s and the whole thing would collapse in a fiery mess. I finally did destroy the VAB - essentially I had to turn the design into a vertically-launched Tomahawk missile to do it.

With that out of the way, I think I'm ready to finally begin my 0.25 career game.

I installed Kerbal Construction Time, and it didn't take long until temptation got too big and I made use of its simulation feature... Well, that much to not reverting anything... Nevertheless, without the simulations I probably wouldn't have managed to get my RT2 communication relays up to a stable orbit, at least not on first try.

I've now decided, that for me the KCT simulations are a fair tradeoff to the difficulty added by FAR+KIDS (set to FAR->Stock, meaning that all Isp values are reduced by a factor of 0.81).

Beginner here, I spent my whole sunday reading tutorials and watching videos about orbital rendezvous to complete my first kermann rescue mission.

Around 10PM i finally suceeded to approach the poor kermann floating in space, took control of him, had him grab the ladder, then i realised the capsule was occupied.

I went to bed crying.

Cool, does it work as expected?

Yup. Thing is, though, because Moho's solar day is so long compared to its year, most of the seasonal variation in the position of the sun happens while the sun is overhead or on the other side of the planet, so there's not a lot of events you can mark with megaliths.

You might want to increase the part size, the current version lack an megalithic feel.

Compared to Stonehenge, yup. But most of the thousands of other megalithic monuments were made with smaller rocks and this is more or less on a par with the average size. Besides, the KAS ground pylons out of which it's made are only so big :).

Finally started with 0.25 and wanted to go to Mun, it did not go as planned.

s5xKbtL.png

Notice that the two burning rockets are not part of ship.

4 medium SRB, two liquid boosters and one liquid core, 909 upper stage/ lander with four goo and material labs.

Decopling SRB and fire the two boosters broke core and seperated the liquid booster who burned until dry and sent me with an Ap of 240 km, to save some of the mission I raised Ap to 260 and did science high over kerbin.

I then managed to drop the material lab and goo containers then I wanted to deploy the parachute.