At what altitude can we see the easter eggs

Hi,

As I was playing doing low orbiting on the mun, I manage to see one of the easter eggs on it. And I was wondering, at what maximum orbital distance from a planete does the game render the easter eggs?

I would like to try to find them using low orbital pass and just the vanilla game (no mod). Since I don't know where they are.

i've had trouble locating easter eggs since .20

the flickering pixel was what i allways looked for when orbiting somewhere and the spots i know are not flickering anymore! but before this i had to be below 70 km.

The mun arches, the [redacted] near the equator, and the [redacted] near the south pole I hear can be seen from orbit. The other three [redacted] can only be seen from like 5km (whatever distance ground scatter objects appear) and then you are looking for something smaller than a pixel. :P

I can confirm, using the telescope mod, that they are present when orbiting at 85 km. Depending on the sun angle, they may be visible naked-eye, but I'm not sure. They are rendered though. I expect the distance they stop is when the terrain detail switches, which for the past few updates has been around 170 km.

This image was taken from an orbiting craft, using the Ordan telescope mod.

BkXWM.png

EDIT: Note that this was from 0.18 or 0.19, things may have changed in 0.20

Edited by Extemporary

It used to be that, if you knew where to look, you could see an intermittent, tell-tale sparkle from 1,000km. However, I think that may have changed in the latest terrain revision, because I haven't seen anything in .20 yet.

The mun arches, the [redacted] near the equator, and the [redacted] near the south pole I hear can be seen from orbit. The other three [redacted] can only be seen from like 5km (whatever distance ground scatter objects appear) and then you are looking for something smaller than a pixel. :P

This pretty much

Also, some of them may be below ground level or hovering in the air.

I guess I will give it a try to low orbit. Mun should be ok, If I remember well what I saw on the wiki, the highest place is 500m on mun. Minmus will be harder so. and then rover time I guess or something a bit faster that hover.

I don't know why but I like to keep it vanilla (I only use kerbal engineer during construction to know the weight), but I do hope we will have more science/exploration stuff like telescopes. May be I will have a look at the telescope mod to look around.

I guess I will give it a try to low orbit. Mun should be ok, If I remember well what I saw on the wiki, the highest place is 500m on mun. Minmus will be harder so. and then rover time I guess or something a bit faster that hover.

I don't know why but I like to keep it vanilla (I only use kerbal engineer during construction to know the weight), but I do hope we will have more science/exploration stuff like telescopes. May be I will have a look at the telescope mod to look around.

I like to play stock as well, mainly because I don't like to worry about updating mods. I found all of the artifacts on Mun, two on Kerbin and one on Duna with nothing but general knowledge of where they were located and my own eyes. Of course it took me like 6 months :).

am seeing them from 55k.

i cannot see the more northerly one yet. currently doing flybys below 5k looking. mapsat says it's there.. it's the one near this ridge.. i'll find it

I suggest you drop a rover or a hover craft of sorts. Though it might be possible to spot it is extremely unlikely. Also check your detail settings. If it is on low then the [redacted] will be underground.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.