[0.20] Deadly Reentry 2.3 - reentry heat, plus thermal and g-force damage to parts

ialdabaoth

No offence, but wouldn't it have been easier to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS? (!) :)

I did thank you, and there were no instructions in the readme on how to install. I quote:

version=2.3

title=Deadly Reentry

description=

Deadly Reentry 2.3 is a plugin for Kerbal Space Program 0.20 that modifies the heat physics and atmospheric reentry physics.

Things to be aware of:

1. All parts have had their maximum temperature reduced by HALF, compared to stock KSP.

2. Engines produce half the stock amount of heat, but engines can be damaged if they are run for extended periods at over 95% of their maximum temperature tolerance.

3. Non-engines CATCH FIRE if they reach 85% of their maximum temperature tolerance.

4. All parts have G-force tolerances, in general anything over 7G's will cause damage

to sensitive components, while heavier components can withstand up to 25G's.

5. The Mark 1 cockpit, and two of the included heat shield parts all have directional ablative shielding. All spaceplanes have non-ablative directional shielding on their undersides. Point your shielding into the wind or it won't help!

Edited by Johnno
Single word removal

I did thank you, and there were no instructions in the readme on how to install. I quote:

Oh, so DR doesn't actually say "Don't install sources"? Well, I am a heavy mod-user here, and installing mods to KSP is so standardized and has become such a second-nature that I have to admit: I don't really READ THE INSTRUCTIONS anymore myself!

Most instructions (like 9/10) tell you to remove source from within the mod's folders or to not install them when they are provided in a separate folder, and it has become so natural that I remove all "source" folders on-sight; BTW it's never caused any problems.

Well, if DR doesn't tell you not to install them, I guess I owe you an apology: I'm sorry. :)

As a token of my apology, I downloaded DR again and will list all the useless files that come within and that will only hurt your load-times:

DeadlyReentry2.3\GameData\moduleManagerSource (sources folder)

DeadlyReentry2.3\GameData\DeadlyReentry.txt (instructions, or in this case "description" file, never used by the game)

DeadlyReentry2.3\GameData\.DS_Store ([All] MAC_OSX folder-properties file, never used by the game.)

-

DeadlyReentry2.3\GameData\DeadlyReentry\.DS_Store

-

DeadlyReentry2.3\GameData\DeadlyReentry\Plugins\Source (sources folder)

DeadlyReentry2.3\GameData\DeadlyReentry\Plugins\.DS_Store

Edited by Johnno
wordsnip

OK I've done a ton of testing and there's most certainly a problem with this mod. To replicate what I'm seeing is super simple. All you have to do is send a capsule up and make sure it burns up and explodes upon re-entry. When you go back to your Space Center you can't click any buildings. You can click "exit" to go to the main menu, but then you can't click any options to restart your campaign. The only way this happens is if the kerbal and capsule blow up.

jpinard, when you hover over the buildings, do they glow up like usual or not?

Because if not then I have this bug too but I do not have this mod installed.

So I can tell you with certainty, it has nothing to do with this or any other mod.

(Had it when switching from parts to action groups, while altering procedural wings, etc)

Edited by Lucchese

What happened to this mod?

The original author (ialdabaoth) is currently taking a break from KSP for personal reasons (I think), but NathanKell is taking over maintenance and development. He's also taking over the Modular Fuel Systems though, so give him a bit of time to find his way into it. I'm sure he'll post a thread for it when there is something to talk about (or something to tell, whatever comes first).

Also, as far as I know it works basically fine at the moment, doesn't it?

Yup, Creat is right. As I said _two posts up_ from yours, Daniel345, I'm maintaining it, but I've gotten kind of sidetracked making Kerbin into a real Earth-sized planet. So that's taking all my coding time the last couple days. Plus some overdue work for Mission Controller.

I will get to this, and I've fixed the explode-on-launch bug, but otherwise it seemed mostly stable to me.

Also, I'll have to make sure this works with 8km/s reentries.

And so things are coming together. Before long we might have a full fledged space simulator. I kind of felt this was inevitable, especially with all the historically correct spacecraft being made, though it almost surprises me it took the community this long.

No pressure or any expectations though, I think it will take its course. I feel modders are pressured into things too often already.

• 2 weeks later...
shouldnt this topic be closed so people dont get confused with nathankells newer version?

Why, version is in the title.

Also, lets not respond to this topic anymore, just to make sure this one wont come up on top again shall we? ;)

I've noticed that this mod seems to nerf jet engines. You can't even go 60% throttle with this which makes getting a combination jet/rocket into orbit as an SSTO is quite a feat now. I hope there is a way to fix it.

You know that is version is outdated right?:huh: NathanKell is continuing the mod here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54954-0-22-Deadly-Reentry-Continued-v3

I've noticed that this mod seems to nerf jet engines. You can't even go 60% throttle with this which makes getting a combination jet/rocket into orbit as an SSTO is quite a feat now. I hope there is a way to fix it.

LOL, no not really, I run DRE, and I get SSTO space planes into orbit on a regular.

Sorry, just wanted to offer an alternative to waiting for an answer - as I too could not provide one right away too. And I did nothing else but look at the part.cfg. :)

Adding these MODULEs to a part should add ablative heat shielding to it.

Which brings me to ... why not add ablative shielding to all parts - as kind of a way to introduce wear and tear to KSP - as some have asked for I think to remember.

MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, -1, 0 // bottom of pod
reflective = 0.05 // 5% of heat is ignored at correct angle
ablative = AblativeShielding
loss
{ // loss is based on the shockwave temperature (also based on density)
key = 650 0 // start ablating at 650 degrees C
key = 1000 64 // peak ablation at 1000 degrees C
key = 3000 80 // max ablation at 3000 degrees C
}
dissipation
{ // dissipation is based on the part's current temperature
key = 300 0 // begin ablating at 300 degrees C
key = 500 360 // maximum dissipation at 500 degrees C
}
}
RESOURCE
{