What Do you do when you are bored and playing KSP?

iRaven

Hello! I am posting this to see if anyone else does the same stupid crap I do when I am bored and playing KSP. So I have "told my kerbals" that every now and then the sun (Kerbol) needs a kerbal sacrifice. Basically, I take a kerbal and launch in at the sun and sacrifice it to the Sun god of the Solar system, appeasing it for a little while and sparing the explosion of itself. So, that's usually what I do, but what do you do when your are bored and playing KSP?:P

The only "boring" parts for me are the long coasts during interplanetary flight--I don't usually set my accel to max, because I keep feeling that somehow the sim engine could perhaps be more accurate in plotting my trajectory (processor crunching) if I don't time accel too much...which leaves me like half-hour or an hour of wait time before any significant activity like a correction burn. So what I do is watch some space-related stuff on YouTube or one of my space documentary movies. Sometimes I also play a guitar and sing songs that are somehow tied to space travel. Sometimes I also chat to friends via Skype or FB and telling (broadcasting LOL) them that "I'm headed for another planet" and you can imagine the sort of reaction that statement can give you hehe

So in a sense, KSP is like that old fighter pilot adage...long hours of waiting and boredom, punctuated by moments of sheer terror! :D

I usually try to do something that I haven't done before. . . like put an ion probe on a grand tour, or build a rocket powered one seat rover substitute to better scout planets(rovers are slow). Most recently, I've been trying to figure out how to do a proper gravity assist. I can finagle it with maneuver nodes until it lines up, but I want to find out how to line it up using maths if I can.

So yea, stuff like that. This game is awesome:)

I find Kerbal Space Program sometimes gets boring when everything goes well. The long ascents, the long transfers to other planets, the long, slow burns to get that perfect orbit... They can be boring, even when they work out perfectly.

So, I inject some failure to spice things up every so often. With me at the controls, nothing says 'failure' like a spaceplane! :P Seriously though, any plane I build with more than nine parts is guaranteed to explode shortly after takeoff, if it even manages to get that far.Even with a functional abort system, I go through a lot of test pilots.

Edited by Hugo Ball

When I'm bored I don't like doing things that require patience. So instead I load up my second save for messing around, and just play with the buttons on hyper edit.

One time I put the Mun out between Kerbin and Duna and did a mock asteroid mission. Sadly to lander didn't survived and they got marooned. Oops. :blush:

I don't have issue using max acceleration and being a father I'm generally only allowed an hour of play time, so I rarely get bored....though I'm going to try to stop relying on quicksave, I get that feeling that I cheated everytime I hit F9.

Hello! I am posting this to see if anyone else does the same stupid crap I do when I am bored and playing KSP. So I have "told my kerbals" that every now and then the sun (Kerbol) needs a kerbal sacrifice. Basically, I take a kerbal and launch in at the sun and sacrifice it to the Sun god of the Solar system, appeasing it for a little while and sparing the explosion of itself. So, that's usually what I do, but what do you do when your are bored and playing KSP?:P

If you are bored you should try other aspects of the game, like making mods etc.

Build in atmosphere planes.

Most recently, I've been trying to figure out how to do a proper gravity assist. I can finagle it with maneuver nodes until it lines up, but I want to find out how to line it up using maths if I can.

So yea, stuff like that. This game is awesome:)

What we need is someone to sit down, and create a SPICE system for KSP. Hopefully better than the real life SPICE system; google SPICE NAIF, and look at it. You'll know what I mean :D

Whenever I get bored I start building massive piles of boosters and try to get my kerbals into a retrograde orbit around the sun such that they hit Kerbinon the other side... I have yet to acaccomplish this feat. Clearly I need more boosters!

If you are bored you should try other aspects of the game, like making mods etc.

It's not that I am bored bored, it's kind of like that time in between large missions, Generally bored as in like messing around for a while kind of bored, you get what I'm saying?

I usualy build something realy insane and try to get it work.

Like my Rocket design to bring 220t into orbit, just to get them to orbit. It took me around 12 hours to get it to work porerly, but it was fun.

Between improving my flying skills and refining spacecraft designs (and trying new ones), I'm hard pressed to say I get bored with KSP. There's always something to do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.