How long until you learned to orbit?

I orbited the first rocket I launched (stock, one of those that came with the game). It probably helped that I have been using Orbiter since 2001 :D It surprised me that the ascent profile I "guesstimated" (basing on how I launched and hand-flew an Atlas Booster in Orbiter, from memory) actually worked.

I watched some Youtube tutorials. After that, it took me about 2 days or so to reach orbit without help from mods. To be consistent however (know to reach orbit for sure) took 1 to 2 weeks I guess.

Of course it all depends on your initial rocket design.

I believe it took a few hours. Used some extremely over-powered rockets to just get in orbit, but did it. Mun landing came about three days after. The hardest part was the landing itself, I think I crashed it four times before succeding.

It only took me a few hours to get into orbit, after I realised that the line was where I would be going and if I burned sideways I could extend the line. It then took me about a month and a half to land on the Mun.

Minutes, no tutorials. But lets just say that burning straight up until you get a periapsis isn't the best plan. it took 4 months to get to the mun. I bought in .17 and i got to the mun in .18 after waiting a few months to play again.

Scince I played Orbiter for a long time I knew orbital mechanics and how to orbit, tricky part was to learn how to construct a working rocket in the .13 demo that could reach orbital velocity, took me about 12 hours i guess before i was able to reach stable orbit, and one youtube video about when to burn for mün and fifteen minutes of testing to reach mün for the first time^^ (thanks to Scott Manley, his videos helped me ever since i started playing ksp, this man is a genius)

took me the better part of a day, but I was playing during a time where there was no map menu, no rotation to help you out, and the only way to tell what your orbital velocity needed to be was by looking up the values on the wiki. Those were good times!

First orbit was late on the night i first got it... so a few hours.... I was doing rather terrible turn though. I just went straight up to about 100km then turned sideways. So I made it to orbit with an actually not that innificient rocket design, but with little fuel to spare at the end. I made a landing on the mun after about a week. had made 3 attempts before but all of them ended up as a fireball on the mun's surface.

Second launch. I likely could have done it on the first, but wanted to start with a suborbital flight, Mercury-Redstone style.

I was already familiar with the general principles of orbital mechanics and rocketry before KSP, however.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.