SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

I figured with all my ranting al the time, I should probably build at least one SSTO that follows all my engineering rules and makes no compromise for aesthetics. And it actually didn't turn out so ugly! :)

mwfVz2r.png

vZiXhAN.png

But of course the devil is in the details. >30mT to orbit, on just four RAPIERs, for about 33% payload fraction to orbit. TWR ~0.45, and it still is pretty damn quick to orbit, on account of a very streamlined shape. And the sweetest aerodynamics you could ask for, with a CoG that stays nailed in place the whole flight and very gentle and stable flying characteristics (there's some dihedral and other stability tricks, like the raised tail, and pretty much every tweakable has been exploited in some fashion, like making the elevons do double duty as airbrakes). Yup, this is my future example craft, I even got the screenies to show how to properly control a deorbit:

wcluOOVm.pngTxxIxP0m.pngVsmUZjOm.png

Rune. Also, note the number on the name. Damn I've been at this long!

Edited by Rune

Since my Grasshopper worked fairly well while using no 1000-science parts, I started wondering if I could make an SSTO that was even more low-tech. After all, that 550-science barrier is a pretty major one, requiring an expensive upgrade to the KSC to unlock. With that in mind, I created the Gnat.

vUwieWz.jpg

This Panther and Reliant-driven craft can take three Kerbals into an atmosphere-skimming orbit just above 70km and bring them safely back down again. No parachutes this time (couldn't spare the mass) so you'll have to land airplane-style, but I've confirmed that it can be done, especially if you save some LiquidFuel to run the Panthers in dry mode for a powered landing (and you don't need much; those things are incredibly efficient.)

eSnM4C1.jpg

Like the Grasshopper, it contains a probe core, solar panels and communications equipment that will allow it to stay in orbit indefinitely, and it's capable of docking using the shielded Clamp-O-Tron on the front. It doesn't have much monopropellant, though (all it has is what's included in the cockpit) so you won't have much margin for error. I see a typical mission profile for this craft being to reach orbit, wait for another, more space-oriented (but likely not reentry-capable) craft to rendezvous, transfer its crew to the second craft and then wait for that crew to complete its mission before docking again and loading its crew back on for landing.

6 hours ago, Heckspress said:

What's it going to be called? Kindjal?

Actually, that is kind of an awesome name for it (cousin of a spatha and all that), so thanks! :)

4 hours ago, Speed_Kerman said:

Mk. 99 Rune? Aye Carumba dude!!

And that's not even counting the ones that didn't get a WiP name. :wink:

Rune. The next one would be the Mk C. Suggestions for what it should be?

So I got to thinking, putting Kerbals into orbit with 300-science parts is cool and all, but what if we went even more primitive than that? I didn't think it would actually be feasible to transport Kerbals using 160-science parts (although given how well the craft ended up performing I'm rethinking that) but we can still transport their work, can't we? It was with that thought in mind that I created the Tick.

ppzDY30.jpg

The goal was to make a fully-reusable craft that could transport an Experiment Storage Unit into Kerbin orbit, be docked with to transfer the data and carry the results back down to the ground safely. I expected another atmosphere-skimmer like the Gnat, but this craft completely exceeded my expectations, having enough fuel left over after achieving orbit to re-circularize at 250km. With this, I can fly directly to my space station, load up with data and come back down (although I haven't tested the landing part yet.) The docking might be a little bit difficult since the ship doesn't have RCS (and I'm not sure where I'd store the Monopropellant if I added RCS thrusters) but it should still be do-able.

GaIVvJu.jpg

Edited by Whisky Tango Foxtrot

16 hours ago, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

The docking might be a little bit difficult since the ship doesn't have RCS (and I'm not sure where I'd store the Monopropellant if I added RCS thrusters) but it should still be do-able.

I'd say use the Lf+Ox Vernor engines.

I've never been able to build more than an atmosphere skimming SSTO, but yesterday I exceeded that. They're nothing fancy, but they're a start.

SSTO 1

3dtqpKg.png

This creatively-named SSTO was a the first single-seat design I made. It uses a single rapier and can achieve orbit with about 100 units of oxidizer remaining.

It's successor was the SSTO 2. A twin-seat design made for absolute simplicity, it could reach orbit with 200 oxidizer left over. A cargo version is in the works.

W7ObLmi.png

Next goal is a Minmus-capable SSTO.

2 hours ago, Heckspress said:

I'd say use the Lf+Ox Vernor engines.

I just tried that (just a ring of Vernors around the centre of mass to give lateral movement) but unfortunately that caused the ship's performance to be degraded to "atmospher-skimmer" levels. Small bits of extra weight and drag make a big difference when your entire craft only weighs a little over 7 tonnes.

I was still able to dock with just the main engines, though. It's more difficult, but not impossible.

Now I just have to see if the thing can land.

I've made some adjustments to the Gnat and was able to improve its performance while lowering its tech level. It's still LKO-only, but it has enough extra dV to give you a bit more margin for error on ascent.

gHW4OnZ.jpg

The thing now uses only 160-science and below parts (although if you have the 300-science OKTO2 available I'd recommend replacing the existing HECS probe core with it to save mass and improve functionality.)

MTYffkk.png

As the ship now functions as more than a curiosity I've uploaded it to KerbalX. Enjoy!

I refined the design I posted above.  The Skyliner SSTO can carry 4 kerbals and 36 tonnes to LKO, and while it's not autonomous, it does not require a pilot to operate.  36 tonnes is however, the most this thing can get to LKO, I had to use the RCS system to deorbit.

7CNBITp.png

Download from KerbalX here.

Edited by Thor Wotansen

Welcome People!!

i present my humble SSTO, with only stock parts! Its has a minning cargo on the front and a large ramp cargo bay, capable of carry around 25 tons and still make it to orbit with fuel! it can go to nearby planets and moons as long it refuels first around Minmus!

YfL5G2R.jpg

UpwOpY3.jpg

MwQM7WM.jpg

o4pBGQR.jpg

oPnIgPs.jpg

i wanted to make it bigger but my pc cant handle more parts than this lol! hope you enjoy!

I continued to experiment on SSTO transports, that can bring modular containers down to the surface of Laythe and get back up into orbit empty... This one is quite effective, with lots of cross range in atmosphere and a good capacity for orbital maneuvering.

WzG66nn.jpg

1 hour ago, Frank_G said:

I continued to experiment on SSTO transports, that can bring modular containers down to the surface of Laythe and get back up into orbit empty... This one is quite effective, with lots of cross range in atmosphere and a good capacity for orbital maneuvering.

WzG66nn.jpg

Wow, I'm really diggin' that design! Reminds me of a Ranger crossed with a sci-fi cargo shuttle. Neat!

An update to my SSTO, i managed to reach Minmus with a 36t orange tank in the cargo hold, due to the incresead weight i had to use some of the fuel of the tank itself to be able to land, so i can safely say my plane can start a journey easily with a 30t payload. If anybody is interessed in try it out, i can drop the craft file.

Hi5uNjY.jpg

L8ogjqw.jpg

qGmf8Tt.jpg