SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

the arrowhead mk2 cargo ssto new

this is the improved version of the arrowhead (and it look nicer to :D)

specs:

parts: 848

weight: 92 tons

cargo: a orange tank (or something of the same weight or lighter)

kerbals : 1

fuel:4230

oxidizer: 3300

airintake: 24.80

ksp version: 0.24

pics

cbdihtR.png

gOPW9vN.png

video:

You can find the arrowhead on my thread here:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/87403-Reapers-Dutch-Designs-thread-arrowhead-mk2-cargo-%28one-orange-tank%29-ssto-uploaded

I have a question, and a bit of showing off to do. Let me explain: I have spent the last week cleaning up my install of bugs, and while doing so, I run across a lot of "old" craft files I had more or less forgotten about. Guess what the majority where? Yup, now my problem is seeing which SSTO I release first. What do you guys think?

UtF2ssB.png

This is a (very) long range scout. Not only it has almost 3km/s after making orbit (meaning it owns the kerbin system and can get most places refuelling in LKO, Duna and Laythe included), when you get where you are going the samples are picked up by a handy rover that can be both deployed and retrieved from the bay. Oh, it also carries the science lab to do in-situ analysis, of course. Meet the Longbow (I guess that makes the rover the Arrow, but the rover is not a sure thing).

dWlNB5S.png

This one is less capable in paper (only a couple hundred m/s more on LKO), but much more awesome in how it gets there: the single rocket engine is a RAPIER. Pure chemical win! Plus, it looks really sleek, so the name Javelin fits like a glove. Also pretty maneuverable, all things considered, and with a T/W not to be sneered at (unlike the other one, which has to thrust pretty much ALL the way to orbit and climbs real slow).

Up5t5Nm.png

And last but definitely not least, the SSTO that finally got the "Longsword" denomination in my naming scheme. I know it looks "meh". I mean, just two seats and 1.2km/s on LKO, nothing fancy there. Also no hidden tricks other than a VTOL rocket system to aid landing on moons or true VTOL flight in Kerbin with pretty low tanks (you could call that STOVL). But first, I think it looks really beautiful. And second, and the only important thing, you wouldn't believe how it handles. T/W enough to be a verticlimber, so low wing loading it can turn on a dime. It handles at least as good of the Dart, and still when you take your hands out it self-stabilizes. One of my finest in terms of aerodynamics, for sure, and with enough performance to declare it my standard for general duty in the kerbin system. 'Nuff said. Well, not... it is really, really fun to fly! :)

Rune. What, you guys didn't think the Nodachi was the MkXXIX for nothing, right? Each "Mk" is a different design concept, and most I end up taming. :cool:

1st - the Scout with rover thats awesome. the concept is ingenious and had me thinking why hadn't I though of that before.

I so need to make an SSTO that incorporates a simialr cargo bay brilliant rune brilliant

CktsPct.png

Two I have been working on.

My medium lifter and my cheap SSTO Mun spaceplane. The medium lifter hauled 40 tons of fuel up in an internal fuel pod for refueling operations and an extendable docking collar. The other SSTO has a lander for landing on the Mun and Minimus in its 6m long cargo bay. But it has over 4.5km/s delta V once in space with a TWR of .13:1 on its LV-1N rockets.

The 1st one is great. This is pretty close to what i'm trying to achieve - I want all my planes to include a land rover as a standard. My cargo plane already comes with a little truck to pull containers in & out. Now i just want a little passenger vehicle... xD

Your method of loading/unloading it is exactly what I had in mind too...

I have a question, and a bit of showing off to do. Let me explain: I have spent the last week cleaning up my install of bugs, and while doing so, I run across a lot of "old" craft files I had more or less forgotten about. Guess what the majority where? Yup, now my problem is seeing which SSTO I release first. What do you guys think?

http://i.imgur.com/UtF2ssB.png

This is a (very) long range scout. Not only it has almost 3km/s after making orbit (meaning it owns the kerbin system and can get most places refuelling in LKO, Duna and Laythe included), when you get where you are going the samples are picked up by a handy rover that can be both deployed and retrieved from the bay. Oh, it also carries the science lab to do in-situ analysis, of course. Meet the Longbow (I guess that makes the rover the Arrow, but the rover is not a sure thing).

http://i.imgur.com/dWlNB5S.png

This one is less capable in paper (only a couple hundred m/s more on LKO), but much more awesome in how it gets there: the single rocket engine is a RAPIER. Pure chemical win! Plus, it looks really sleek, so the name Javelin fits like a glove. Also pretty maneuverable, all things considered, and with a T/W not to be sneered at (unlike the other one, which has to thrust pretty much ALL the way to orbit and climbs real slow).

http://i.imgur.com/Up5t5Nm.png

And last but definitely not least, the SSTO that finally got the "Longsword" denomination in my naming scheme. I know it looks "meh". I mean, just two seats and 1.2km/s on LKO, nothing fancy there. Also no hidden tricks other than a VTOL rocket system to aid landing on moons or true VTOL flight in Kerbin with pretty low tanks (you could call that STOVL). But first, I think it looks really beautiful. And second, and the only important thing, you wouldn't believe how it handles. T/W enough to be a verticlimber, so low wing loading it can turn on a dime. It handles at least as good of the Dart, and still when you take your hands out it self-stabilizes. One of my finest in terms of aerodynamics, for sure, and with enough performance to declare it my standard for general duty in the kerbin system. 'Nuff said. Well, not... it is really, really fun to fly! :)

Rune. What, you guys didn't think the Nodachi was the MkXXIX for nothing, right? Each "Mk" is a different design concept, and most I end up taming. :cool:

on the first photo, how the heck did you keep the fuel tank going after the payload???

Release them all at the same time rune lol

That might be a way to go, consolidate a bunch of SSTO's (I'm thinking the Spatha is not up to par to the rest of R-SUV) into a single entry, so this might be what I end up doing.

1st - the Scout with rover thats awesome. the concept is ingenious and had me thinking why hadn't I though of that before.

I so need to make an SSTO that incorporates a simialr cargo bay brilliant rune brilliant

Thanks!

The 1st one is great. This is pretty close to what i'm trying to achieve - I want all my planes to include a land rover as a standard. My cargo plane already comes with a little truck to pull containers in & out. Now i just want a little passenger vehicle... xD

Your method of loading/unloading it is exactly what I had in mind too...

Yup, I have also been toying around with the idea for a while... well, since science came about, more or less, actually. I just kept getting size wrong to get a truly long range. The rover is quite the thing, too, it actually has a one person lander can in there to use the IVA for driving,and I crammed all science instruments and a couple seats in there too. As to loading/unloading... well, it's not my method. Like many things I do, I saw it first elsewhere. In this case I think the original idea was sparked by a design from Exothermos for a Duna cargo plane.

on the first photo, how the heck did you keep the fuel tank going after the payload???

And a MkIII fuselage makes up the upper part, which means I have an aviation fuel tank white on both sides, don't forget that. But the alignment (which includes the Science Lab going flush with the cockpit) was achieved because the cargo bay is built around an I-Beam spine, and I also make liberal use of Editor Tools, a couple of cubic orthogonal struts, and a lot of care on the SPH to align everything right. In short, build editor magic, be sure to DL when I post it and take it apart to learn all the tricks! Here's another screenie showing the other side of this beauty, note how all tanks are clickable without fooling around with the camera (I'm quite proud how the fuselage turned out):

n0wZ1Ef.png

Rune. Clearly you guys like SSTO stuff with cargo bays.

Edited by Rune

That might be a way to go, consolidate a bunch of SSTO's (I'm thinking the Spatha is not up to par to the rest of R-SUV) into a single entry, so this might be what I end up doing.

Thanks!

Yup, I have also been toying around with the idea for a while... well, since science came about, more or less, actually. I just kept getting size wrong to get a truly long range. The rover is quite the thing, too, it actually has a one person lander can in there to use the IVA for driving,and I crammed all science instruments and a couple seats in there too. As to loading/unloading... well, it's not my method. Like many things I do, I saw it first elsewhere. In this case I think the original idea was sparked by a design from Exothermos for a Duna cargo plane.

And a MkIII fuselage makes up the upper part, which means I have an aviation fuel tank white on both sides, don't forget that. But the alignment (which includes the Science Lab going flush with the cockpit) was achieved because the cargo bay is built around an I-Beam spine, and I also make liberal use of Editor Tools, a couple of cubic orthogonal struts, and a lot of care on the SPH to align everything right. In short, build editor magic, be sure to DL when I post it and take it apart to learn all the tricks! Here's another screenie showing the other side of this beauty, note how all tanks are clickable without fooling around with the camera (I'm quite proud how the fuselage turned out):

http://i.imgur.com/n0wZ1Ef.png

Rune. Clearly you guys like SSTO stuff with cargo bays.

Can we get a few pics from inside the fuselage, to see how it's made? coz I have no idea what you just said :P

Can we get a few pics from inside the fuselage, to see how it's made? coz I have no idea what you just said :P

I'll do you one better: I'm working on the mission album and download link right now, it should be posted for your enjoyment and disassembly some time today. Tomorrow at the latest.

Rune. Anyhow, Soonâ„¢. ^_^'

I've been trying to make an SSTO craft to deliver things to LKO for ages. It's been pretty tough using FAR and Deadly Reentry, but I finally got it today! This album shows the various stages of development of the craft. I did it in career mode, so having to unlock parts and test things made the designing really fun.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by aeroz

After making a new 2-seater multi-role strike fighter (based off the F-4B Phantom II), I decided it might be SSTO capable. (It has "afterburner" rockets clipped into it's jets.)

The MU XD-Y Spectre is now a fully-operational SSTO fighter! :)

(However, I might just strap micro-sats to the missile hardpoints and use it like a shuttle.)

My monster stock SSTO for delivering 800ish ton payloads. It took a couple days to perfect and it leaves no margin for error. I can deliver a full 8x100 ton tanks to 85km orbit. Landing is just as difficult as getting into orbit. You need some remaining fuel to slow your decent and very level terrain. But, if you need to launch a station, an interstellar mothership, and an asteriod back into space at the same time... this is the ship you want. Cost: about $3mil initially.

DOWNLOAD

*EDIT* Oh, and this is loosely based on the concept ship from Chrysler called the 'SERV' (Single-stage Earth-orbital Reusable Vehicle). I always found it interesting.

ChryslerSERV_1.jpg

Edited by TheBarnetts

*snip*

Are you using FAR? I've been trying to build something on a similar scale and I just cannot get my craft to behave themselves. I'm not talking about flat spins (those are easy enough to design around) but instead a significant drop-off in vertical speed at ~15km - pitch up and you stall, pitch down to avoid the stall and you go into a dive.

• 2 weeks later...

For sciencey trips to Duna.

Not entirely practical, over-complicated, needs an enormous tanker (which you can see in another thread) to refuel it high in orbit and a ..... to land (it took me three goes)

Needs a little refinement, but I just didn't like to see this thread so far back! :D