SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

This was my first SSTO that was able to make it to orbit: The Alpha Wing

poRlNVG.png?1

Kind of an interesting design, but it was able to get to space pretty decently. It was mainly being used to replace crew members on my space station.

H9C6GUa.png?1

Now that I look at it, it does kinda look like an A, doesn't it?

Anyways, if I would refuel it in orbit, this thing could go to do missions to the Mun and Minmus. However, this was never the case as it was soon replaced by better designs.

This is currently my only really working SSTO that is NOT a run-of-the-mill jet-like design. Also, I suck at SSTO building, so I have only built single-passenger planes yet.

But without further ado, let me present to you:

The Messerschmitt EOF II

EOF means "Einstufiges Orbitalfahrzeug", which means nothing else than SSTO. It is the second model which I worked on pretty long to balance it out correctly. It is not based on any Messerschmitt plane, I just like the sound of the name. While it is a bit shaky when maneuvering in orbit, it flies pretty good and can go rather far for such a small thing. It weighs only something around 5 tons. I have also made a docker version of it, but I like this one more. It's like a sports car you take for weekend rides :D. EDIT: I noticed that it and its successor, the EOF V even work with FAR, though not as good as with stock.

Warning: Picture flood incoming.

First picture shows that this is technically a two stage vehicle. Since the External Command Seat can't be manned for launch, I had to attach a command pod to the back where the pilot is contained. Before launch it is detached and the normal flying can proceed.

U6NCeza.jpg

This is a close-up of the cockpit/engine part. Note the entrance ladder and the instruments (I also have a version without Engineer which is thus 100% stock). Also, positional lights, green on the right hand side visible. Antenna to imitate the antenna thing on older planes. It is extended on action button while the ladder is simultaneously retracted. Struts for stability and batteries and RTGs also function as counterweights. I hate having to use so many cubic struts, but iirc they were lighter than the beams. It just raises the part count of the plane to over 80.

L2Uu9yd.jpg

Right before takeoff. Intakes open, jet engine started... Let's go!

L2pbOH7.jpg

Up, up and away! But why is he so anxious? It won't explode, I promise!

g6Ui3LM.jpg

Mission: Accomplished. A magnificent view.

yL2t1XY.png

Here some data. I have never bothered to exactly tweak the fuels, but IT JEST WERKS.

M0IabHM.png

Reentry.

a4qUUkS.png

Yeah, now I know why he was looking scared... Comrade will never of fly plane again and he will pay for what he did to glorious marvel of engineering of the motherland))))

hB7wzsm.png

Edited by MisterBennock

So i must say I've been struggling to catch up on reading through this whole thread since my introduction to kerbal. Some amazing stuff i've seen for sure.

SSTO's really pike my interest from the reusability aspect and potential for simplicity of deisgn (Vertical launch versions anyways).

So after my first vertical SSTO worked but had way too many parts, I decided to slim down, start fresh and try to create a Super Heavy Lift SSTO.

Challenge was to lift 6 x S3 - 14400 tanks (492 tonnes fully loaded) into stable orbit (75km circular). Basically trying to replace the need to dock together a Space Station... unless you have a super sized station fetish.

Mods Used: Mechjeb & B9

Part Count: 153 (with payload & some stabilising struts)

Total Payload: 492 tonnes

Inital Weight: 909 tonnes

Payload to Weight Ratio: 54.12%

Initial TWR: 2.31

Design of SSTO: Central Top loaded payload. Makes it easy to balance and has some flexibility for shape of payload. Lifter comprises of 3 identical subsections (Engine "Cores") Each Core has 8 x SABRE engines, fed by 7,680 units of liquid fuel, 7920 of oxidiser, and 1 Sabre M & S Intake per engine (no clipping). Nothing against clipping, except i'm no good at it :P Each Core is designed to lift 164 tonnes to LKO. Numerous versions can be created based around 164 tonne increments (or the ability to put a lighter load into a higher orbit).

Cost: $958k (inc. payload) So not the cheapest fellow to launch.

So to the main point, does it work??

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Worked a charm however... i forgot to put a docking port on the payload... no fuel for you or you... So i just deorbited the whole thing, but still had ~4000 delta v for the air breathing mode on the SABRES with that entire payload, so more than enough to find a flat patch of grass.

Feel free to improve upon if you like. Planning to design a mammoth interplanetary load next to use this for... but have currently run out of funds, so need to do a few more orbit rescues first ;)

Here is my first truly successful SSTO. I say first truly successful because it is the first time I (1). actually got to stable orbit, (2). re-entered the atmosphere without any rapid unplanned disassembly, (3). landed in one piece and with fuel to spare. I call it the JH-3 Triumph. My third attempt at making an SSTO named "Jeb's Hauler" with the new B9 mod. I have yet to put a payload in it. I'm just happy to make it back to the ground in one piece!

I found a few things out on my test runs. This thing is wickedly unstable and low speeds. It becomes stable at around 100-150 m/s. I can still land it, I just need to be very careful on the controls (No sudden moves!). It also climbs like a rocket while in jet mode - at least until it hits about 28km. Then it stalls for some reason. I am running the NEAR mod, maybe that has something to do with it. I'm still new to the mod so I'm still not familiar with the new aerodynamics yet. If you get this plane up to about 200 m/s and cut the engines, it will glide for a very long time. I made the landing gear angled so that the nose is pointed about 10-15 degrees up while on the runway. It does not take off by itself, but if you just tap the S key after hitting 100 m/s, it is airborne.

Edited by neamerjell
Took me a few tries to get the Imgur embed to work right.

So, I hadn't built a large, lifting SSTO for a while.

This has been rectified with Canada One.

The rockets at the front are only necessary with very heavy loads. They're fuelled from their own tank hidden just ahead of the crew tank.

ETA: - Hmmm, now seems to be having trouble on the runway. Going to try to fix it.

Edited by Fellow314

The re-engineered Canada One.

Reliable, if somewhat extreme take off involves using front mounted jets for lift to take the strain off the landing gear. Works rather well :)

RCS, annoyingly drains only one tank, not both equally, so to be used sparingly.

hxrWzVm.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3iqyjsg07r538ms/Canada%20One%20NMJ.craft?dl=0

Primarily due to massively cheaty air-intake shenanigans. :D

This is the duckling personal transport vehicle. A sort of SSTO 2CV.

http://imgur.com/a/8aLR9

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljrdmisdanxayfw/Duckling%20NMJ.craft?dl=0

Duckling is SSI worthy, if interested in submitting. :) Can it make 120km undock, land, and return to 120km?

This should survive the upcoming 0.25 and 0.26 without issues... as there is no lift-producing part in there. Also, my first antenna door!

9dM5cC2.png

RmuOwAw.png

yGryVu0.png

Short of a crew transport. Four seats in the "interior", and enough oomph, chutes and VTOL systems to do its thing (go up and down) anywhere up to and including Kerbin and Duna.

Rune. Somehow it reminds me of a chibi-Falcon... or at least something made in Corellia.

Edited by Rune

This should survive the upcoming 0.25 without issues... as there is no lift-producing part in there.

http://i.imgur.com/9dM5cC2.png

http://i.imgur.com/RmuOwAw.png

http://i.imgur.com/yGryVu0.png

Short of a crew transport. Four seats in the "interior", and enough oomph, chutes and VTOL systems to do its thing (go up and down) anywhere up to and including Kerbin and Duna.

Rune. Somehow it reminds me of a chibi-Falcon... or at least something made in Corellia.

Wow, that thing looks cool! Is it hard to fly it?

This should survive the upcoming 0.25 and 0.26 without issues... as there is no lift-producing part in there. Also, my first antenna door!

http://i.imgur.com/9dM5cC2.png

http://i.imgur.com/RmuOwAw.png

http://i.imgur.com/yGryVu0.png

*Twitches*

Must make... SSTO... Dropship... :)

Nice bird, man. Glad to see VTOLs getting some love here.

Nice bird, man. Glad to see VTOLs getting some love here.
Interesting looking craft Rune!

Thanks! I'll polish it some more aesthetics-wise and release it, probably as a UKSN troop dropship for the skunkworks (you can short of see where two .50 cals from BD would fit perfectly). You know, 'cause I'm pretty sure I can fit it inside something else, it's pretty tiny :)

Rune. I never got around to posting B9 carriers, did I?

Made it to Minimus with zero waste. Not a huge accomplishment but a fun project regardless.

2014-08-26_00004_zpsba844943.jpg

2014-08-26_00005_zps766492a8.jpg

2014-08-26_00007_zpsc1fa3151.jpg

2014-08-26_00008_zps40ce5f25.jpg

2014-08-26_00009_zps46829344.jpg

Lander departure

2014-08-26_00010_zpsb3e4a9ba.jpg

On the surface

2014-08-26_00012_zps3bfcf54a.jpg

Orbital rendezvous

2014-08-27_00004_zps9041ef37.jpg

Aerobraking (took several orbits because I put my periapsis too high)

2014-08-27_00008_zps2d8db24d.jpg

Landed back at the KSC (and turned around)

2014-08-27_00010_zpsfd2af56b.jpg

SSTO Flamingo (imgur link)

2 crew members

2 turbojets (4 intakes per jet) + 1 LV-N engine (main space engine) + 5 Rockomax 48-7S engines (landing/takeoff engines)

dV - 3700...4400 m/s (depend on loading) - Dune and Laythe round-trip

Small inner cargo bay with shielding

LJPgw2Q.jpg

Cargo bay closed and shieldings are on for intakes

y4N5oRvl.jpg

Cargo bay with rover inside opened

dXdc18Xl.jpg