How many things have you lost because hitting the "End Flight" button?

MacDuckenstein

Lost huge space stations... A Mun base and a huge interplanetary train I built up out of about 12 launches... I was just tired and hit End Flight instead of Space Centre.

Another naughty design error is the "New" in the VAB. I had a really nice payload I had put together and balanced the RCS and then I went and hit the NEW button instead of hitting the Subassembly button (I just wanted one of my prebuilt boosters) and "POOF!"... gone...

Lost huge space stations... A Mun base and a huge interplanetary train I built up out of about 12 launches... I was just tired and hit End Flight instead of Space Centre.

Another naughty design error is the "New" in the VAB. I had a really nice payload I had put together and balanced the RCS and then I went and hit the NEW button instead of hitting the Subassembly button (I just wanted one of my prebuilt boosters) and "POOF!"... gone...

are you calling the end flight button a design error? you do realize you have to confirm the end flight? how many clicks do you think is enough then to not accidentally end flights? imo it's fine, i mean i have accidentally ended flights that were not to be ended, but its my fault, not a design error, not a bug nor any other fault of the software, just a stupid user error.

Don't know how many (a lot) but the biggest thing I lost was a station that took at least one or two dozen flights.

Two ways to recover from an accidental 'End Flight':

1: [alt]+[F4] ASAP to totally kill KSP before it gets the chance to update your persistent file.

2: [F9] to load your latest quicksafe. Unless you manually quicksaved this will reset you to the moment of your latest launch.

are you calling the end flight button a design error? you do realize you have to confirm the end flight? how many clicks do you think is enough then to not accidentally end flights? imo it's fine, i mean i have accidentally ended flights that were not to be ended, but its my fault, not a design error, not a bug nor any other fault of the software, just a stupid user error.

Agreed. Personally I've never had this problem but evidently it's an issue with enough people that it warrants a fix.

(And flashing lights WILL NOT WORK, it's a matter of habit and no amount of extra warning or required clicking will get around that)

Agreed. Personally I've never had this problem but evidently it's an issue with enough people that it warrants a fix.

(And flashing lights WILL NOT WORK, it's a matter of habit and no amount of extra warning or required clicking will get around that)

An "Are you sure you want to end this flight?" dialog box wouldn't go amiss (unless there's one already and I'm completely ignoring it which is highly likely).

To be honest, if you get into the habit of switching to some debris before hitting escape then it doesn't matter whether you end flight or not. In fact ending flight by accident can actually help keep your orbital lanes clear.

*runs off to see if he can design a plug-in that gives you an option to switch to debris before ending flight

heh, so used i am to ending flights that i could not say for sure if there were a confirmation box. i kinda knew there was, but i had to check and yes, there is a confirmation box! =)

No... I'm calling the NEW button in the VAB a design error because there is no confirmation. End Flight didn't always have a confirm either... that only was put in recently I think. 0.18? Any button that deletes work without a confirmation is a design error. I should know, I was a programmer/analayst for over 20 years.

Actually I have hit the NEW button in the VAB completely by accident when the program freezes for a split second and then decides to click on something that you didn't actually click on. It most definitely is something that needs looking at.

Edit 2: Oh yeah, I have a VERY good excuse for messing up though.... It's called being stoned out of my head on Morphine.:P And yes... this is true.

Edited by NeoMorph

Moving the conferm end flight button to somewhere different on the screen as this would prevent double clicking in the same place on the screen.

Oh yep did it with my Curiosity clone on final approach to Duna! More than a few hours, more like days down the toilet as it was before manover nodes. This was one occasion I learnt quick from my mistakes as I do t recall doing it after that time.

Yeah... I haven't lost a ship in ages because I am paranoid now. I also hit F5 before I end a flight (ones I actually MEAN to end).

I had one really weird thing happen the one time. I ended a flight and ALL the flights in progress ended. This was about 30 flights at the time... and F9 resurrected them perfectly thank god.

F5 IS YOUR FRIEND!

I feel like there should be some limitation on when you can end flights. I mean it's primarily meant for letting you relaunch when you mess something up, yes? So maybe after you dock things together in space it won't show up so you can't accidentally delete entire space stations or something.

An "Are you sure you want to end this flight?" dialog box wouldn't go amiss (unless there's one already and I'm completely ignoring it which is highly likely).

nothing, there is a confirmation box. If you click end flight by mistake then just click no.

It's Microsoft's excessive use of pointless confirmation boxes in Windows that has conditioned people to blindly click on confirm.

I have not lost many missions to this, but i still installed a mod that fixes it.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/?s=G_LockFlight&x=30&y=11

Edited by rkman

I lost 3 or 4 small missions when I was first learning the game, and then never again. I really can't figure out why this is supposed to be such a terrible problem. If you're really worried about it, do what I did and teach yourself the habit of hitting F5 before leaving a flight whether to end it or just switch to another mission. That way, you could undo an end flight if you ever did do one by mistake.

It's Microsoft's excessive use of pointless confirmation boxes in Windows that has conditioned people to blindly click on confirm.

I have not lost many missions to this, but i still installed a mod that fixes it.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/?s=G_LockFlight&x=30&y=11

This is why the End Flight button, no matter how many confirmation windows pop up, is a bad idea. Human beings do not read confirmation windows, and no, that doesn't make them stupid. This adds nothing to the game. Remove the button and have the tracking station the only way to end flights.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.