What do you call the sun in Kerbal Space Program

Sarge82nd

You know, this is the moment when I really wonder about people. Kerbol? Why? That has got to the like the dumbest name I ever heard for a star and not sure why anyone would call it that. Kerbals are the species and calling the planet Kerbin makes sense. You know like if you are from america, you are american. We call are star "the sun", not earthol, or humanol, or anything stupid like that.

I will call it the sun till an official name that makes sense is used. Something that is less confusing.

I am just shocked so many people actually call it that o.o, sorry if i sound like a jerk .. but ... dang .. really?

Do you really think people are going to confuse a star with a species? If someone says "I just entered Kerbol SOI" do you really think someone is going to say "wait, the star or Jeb?" I've never seen anyone get confused when referring to the sun as Kerbol.

Do you really think people are going to confuse a star with a species? If someone says "I just entered Kerbol SOI" do you really think someone is going to say "wait, the star or Jeb?" I've never seen anyone get confused when referring to the sun as Kerbol.

PSJR-112062-300960185RB is much better.

"Hey guys! I've just escaped PSJR-112062-300960185RB!"

Kerbin! :D,

Nah, it's Kerbol now but i think the naming in the old days was like this:

Kerth orbiting around Kerbin, then Kerth became Kerbin and Kerbin became Kerbol.

edit:

PSJR-112062-300960185RB is much better.

"Hey guys! I've just escaped PSJR-112062-300960185RB!"

Hey PSJR-112062-300960185RA is my automatic fridge! Dont you dare touching my bee... oh you mean PSJR-112062-300960185RB, ah carry on then!

Edited by Nao

Oh wow really? My point flew right over your head didn't it.

Confused meaning the 2 words are way too similar. You just used a sentence that suited yourself to try and prove your point, and left out that it very well can be confused.

"Do you know what a Kerbol is?" - "What the star or do you mean Kerbal the species?"

"Oh look at that Kerbal!" *looks up* "Looking at the star, don't see anything"

I can list more if you want. Point being is it's retarded. End of discussion. Everyone here can use the stupid word, but you know, at the end of the day it's officially called the sun! Derp!

If you are going to comment on my post again, please make sure it actually makes sense.

Edited by Brabbit1987

You know, this is the moment when I really wonder about people. Kerbol? Why? That has got to the like the dumbest name I ever heard for a star and not sure why anyone would call it that. Kerbals are the species and calling the planet Kerbin makes sense. You know like if you are from america, you are american. We call are star "the sun", not earthol, or humanol, or anything stupid like that.

I will call it the sun till an official name that makes sense is used. Something that is less confusing.

I am just shocked so many people actually call it that o.o, sorry if i sound like a jerk .. but ... dang .. really?

Could it be because of the latin for our sun being Sol? We are in the Sol system, Kerbals are in the Kerbol system. Kinda makes sense?

I thought it actually was called Kerbol, I never noticed the info panel saying something different. But I have never liked that much. I would prefer something like 'Sttar' or 'Firei' or 'Gasbol' or something along those lines, but 'The Sun' is fine albeit not very original.

Oh wow really? My point flew right over your head didn't it.

Confused meaning the 2 words are way too similar. You just used a sentence that suited yourself to try and prove your point, and left out that it very well can be confused.

"Do you know what a Kerbol is?" - "What the star or do you mean Kerbal the species?"

"Oh look at that Kerbal!" *looks up* "Looking at the star, don't see anything"

I can list more if you want. Point being is it's retarded. End of discussion. Everyone here can use the stupid word, but you know, at the end of the day it's officially called the sun! Derp!

If you are going to comment on my post again, please make sure it actually makes sense.

Nice try, but your sentences actually back up my claim rather than yours:

"Do you know what a Kerbol is?" - You're obviously talking about a kerbal because Kerbol is a proper noun. You wouldn't say "Do you know what a Brabbit1987 is?" or "Do you know what a Jane is?" would you? No.

"Oh look at that Kerbal!" - Same thing. You would say "Oh look at Kerbol!" if you're talking about the star. "Oh look at that Kerbal!" obviously refers to the species.

It's all about context. If that doesn't make sense to you, then there's little help for you.

"Do you know what a Kerbol is?" - You're obviously talking about a kerbal because Kerbol is a proper noun. You wouldn't say "Do you know what a Brabbit1987 is?" or "Do you know what a Jane is?" would you? No.

"Oh look at that Kerbal!" - Same thing. You would say "Oh look at Kerbol!" if you're talking about the star. "Oh look at that Kerbal!" obviously refers to the species.

It's all about context. If that doesn't make sense to you, then there's little help for you.

I don't know if your serious, but the first sentence I said "Do you know what a Kerbol is?". That is equal to "Do you know what a sun is?" or if someone thought I said Kerbal "Do you know what a human is?". That works perfectly fine. Kerbal is not the name of a particular individual. So I really am not sure why you showed me an example with my name and someone else name.

Then you say there is little help for me? You the one who just messed up rofl.

The second sentence I can see your point, however, my sentences still work as well. "Oh look at that sun!" or "Oh look at that human!".

As you stated yourself, it's all about context. It can easily be mistaken. If you wanna make a bet, tell someone kerbal means a species and kerbol means their sun, then construct a test and see how many sentences they understand. Too you, for someone who uses the term often, of course you wil lbe able to notice the context and it will not be confusing. But you can't base what someone else knows by what you know.

Do you get my point? Do you see where the flaw is?

Another good example is how people misuse there, their and the're. The only reason it works so well even though so many people get it wrong is because we are aware of the context already. Those who are unfamiliar though, will be confused.

On another point, what if I started calling a cat .. a poolisomen. Would anyone else know what I am talking about? If you showed someone KSP for the first time and said, take a look at Kerbol. Do you think they are going to look at the sun? I bet they will be confused. Then when you tell them the green men are kerbals, they will be even more confused.

Just so you know, you will not win this argument, because you are wrong.

Edited by Brabbit1987

Say Kerbol in real life.

Now say Kerbal.

Now image that both of those words are being said quickly by someone with an accent, and you'll quickly see why they are too similar.

Although we can call it whatever we want it to call it since it's a single player game and no one tells you otherwise (we do called it Kerbol back in 0.13), just go flat-out call it the Sun if discussing with other people, for the sake of simplicity and familiarity. Take your own personal name for that star where every planet revolves around on you, until the devs have already put an OFFICIAL name of that star in the center.

Now getting into a scuffle just because of misunderstanding/disagreement on "what/how it is supposed to be called?" are just utter shullbit, just saying.

Edited by Flixxbeatz

I call it Kerbol most of the time, but I have been known to refer to it as the Sun if I'm being lazy. :P

Calling it the sun is more accurate since that is what it is called. I hardly call that lazy. I call it smart. Calling it something it isn't, like, Kerbol is just plain silly and makes no sense.

Course I am going to say this, I don't care what everyone decides to call it. Just know, I personally think it's kinda dumb to call it anything besides it's actual name.

Some say it makes sense due to sol for solar are star, but solar is a human term, not a kerbal term. So mixing it to become Kerbol is just silly and you might as well call it the sun since it makes more sense and is less confusing to those who are unaware that random people like to call it kerbol for what ever reason that is. Might as well start renaming all the planets to Kerbool, Kerbaal, Kerrbol and Kerboll and so on and so fourth.

Edited by Brabbit1987

I find Kerbol fitting. The Kerbals are obviously a slightly Narcissistic species more so than our own. They call their planet Kerbin, after themselves. We; Humans, call our planet Earth. The Kerbals also would've seen the sun way before anything else as it was and is the brightest thing in the sky for them so naturally, they named it after themselves too. We didn't we call the star which we orbit around "Sol" or more commonly "the sun"

We can find that it still makes sense to call the sun of the Kerbals "Kerbol" because wouldn't it be silly if we called, oh let's say our sun, "The Sol"? or if we called Proxima Centauri "The Proxima Centauri" or if we called Gleise-581 "The Gleise-581"?

The further I go on the more sense to makes to call the Kerbal's star "Kerbol" or our star "Sol"

I find Kerbol fitting. The Kerbals are obviously a slightly Narcissistic species more so than our own. They call their planet Kerbin, after themselves. We; Humans, call our planet Earth. The Kerbals also would've seen the sun way before anything else as it was and is the brightest thing in the sky for them so naturally, they named it after themselves too. We didn't we call the star which we orbit around "Sol" or more commonly "the sun"

We can find that it still makes sense to call the sun of the Kerbals "Kerbol" because wouldn't it be silly if we called, oh let's say our sun, "The Sol"? or if we called Proxima Centauri "The Proxima Centauri" or if we called Gleise-581 "The Gleise-581"?

The further I go on the more sense to makes to call the Kerbal's star "Kerbol" or our star "Sol"

The point here is it's way too similar to Kerbal. Why not simply just call it something else? Kerbals calling their planet Kerbin actually makes more sense then you think. I have stated in the passed it can be similar to calling one self american because you live in america. So Kerbin and Kerbals work fine. They also can't be confused as they are entirely different in pronunciation.

The whole the point is like ... pointless rofl. On earth we call our star the sun. Not literally "The Sun". Just "sun". We put the before it because it's to point out an object. Like the pen, or the star, the dog, the cat ... the sun. Get it?

The actual name of our star / our sun is ... nothing. We actually never gave it a proper name. Some people use sol, but that is not actually it's name.

If you don't believe me here is a source http://earthsky.org/space/what-is-the-suns-name

Edited by Brabbit1987

The reason it's so similar is because the Kerbals are very nanarssistic. They named the planet after themselves so It'd only make sense that they'd call the largest object in the sky after themselves.

The reason it's so similar is because the Kerbals are very nanarssistic. They named the planet after themselves so It'd only make sense that they'd call the largest object in the sky after themselves.

Then how come they didn't name mun after themselves and all the other planets?

Honestly that explanation sucks and is based on so many assumptions that do not actually exist. It's officially called sun in KSP. So either your wrong ... or you are wrong.

Then how come they didn't name mun after themselves and all the other planets?

Because Kerbals were not ALWAYS aware of other planets. that'd be a silly assumption. Because Kerbals are narcissistic, they chose to name the sun after themselves because It was Huge, Bright, and mighty. the Mün was nowhere near the luminosity of Kerbol or as large and therefore didn't seem worthy enough to be named after them.

Because Kerbals were not ALWAYS aware of other planets. that'd be a silly assumption. Because Kerbals are narcissistic, they chose to name the sun after themselves because It was Huge, Bright, and mighty. the Mün was nowhere near the luminosity of Kerbol or as large and therefore didn't seem worthy enough to be named after them.

Again . .where are you getting this from?

Do you have a source? Or is this just your imaginary fact?

You haven't seen Mun Kerman, the head astronomer, walking around the tracking station yet?

Naming discoveries after oneself is normal. Not an entire species.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.