What do you call the sun in Kerbal Space Program

Sarge82nd

Again . .where are you getting this from?

Do you have a source? Or is this just your imaginary fact?

Naming discoveries after oneself is normal. Not an entire species.

I'm using what we do know to make a conclusion. The planet is Kerbin, they are the Kerbal's. why would they name it that? we are the humans, our planet is Earth. we didn't name it after ourselves. So, it's logical to assume that Kerbals are more narcissistic than ourselves. And from Kerbin, doesn't the sun/Kerbol look way more powerful/ large/ majestic than the Mün? Wouldn't you want a star named after yourself?

I'm done here so I can avoid the flamewar when it begins, Not sure why some people are FAR too worked up over this but by all means, Carry on!

I'm using what we do know to make a conclusion. The planet is Kerbin, they are the Kerbal's. why would they name it that? we are the humans, our planet is Earth. we didn't name it after ourselves. So, it's logical to assume that Kerbals are more narcissistic than ourselves. And from Kerbin, doesn't the sun/Kerbol look way more powerful/ large/ majestic than the Mün? Wouldn't you want a star named after yourself?

I'm done here so I can avoid the flamewar when it begins, Not sure why some people are FAR too worked up over this but by all means, Carry on!

It's officially called the sun though. If we are going by what we know .. it's called the sun. SUN. It says it in the game .... SUN. >.>

Why is that so hard to understand?

Also your explanation pretty much means "Yes, I made it up". Would have been easier to have just said that.

aaaaaaand I think people just shrugged off the statement I have made few posts behind and still continuing on...

Well I agree with you. They all can call it what they want, but no one is going to try and justify why they call it the way they do by using false and made up information and then act like it should be called by what they call it, when it clearly already is official it's called the sun. >.>

If they really think this way, they should start applying that reasoning to real life. Start calling cats fluffies because they are fluffy and call dogs slobbers because they slob things up with their spit. It feels like something you would hear from a 4 year old.

It's officially called the sun though. If we are going by what we know .. it's called the sun. SUN. It says it in the game .... SUN. >.>

Why is that so hard to understand?

Also your explanation pretty much means "Yes, I made it up". Would have been easier to have just said that.

I says the sun. But that's just what kind of object it is. It obviously need s a name #trollface.

Yes I made it up logically, but where's the fun in saying that when there's lore to be made?

@post above me: or you could lighten up and not refer to people with imaginations as four-year olds

Guys! Guys! I like this thread... Don't let it devolve into a flame war. I'm all for debate but just keep it civil or agree to disagree so we can continue to hear what other people like to have their star called, and not get this thread closed down.

I don't know if your serious, but the first sentence I said "Do you know what a Kerbol is?". That is equal to "Do you know what a sun is?" or if someone thought I said Kerbal "Do you know what a human is?". That works perfectly fine. Kerbal is not the name of a particular individual. So I really am not sure why you showed me an example with my name and someone else name.

Then you say there is little help for me? You the one who just messed up rofl.

The second sentence I can see your point, however, my sentences still work as well. "Oh look at that sun!" or "Oh look at that human!".

As you stated yourself, it's all about context. It can easily be mistaken. If you wanna make a bet, tell someone kerbal means a species and kerbol means their sun, then construct a test and see how many sentences they understand. Too you, for someone who uses the term often, of course you wil lbe able to notice the context and it will not be confusing. But you can't base what someone else knows by what you know.

Do you get my point? Do you see where the flaw is?

Another good example is how people misuse there, their and the're. The only reason it works so well even though so many people get it wrong is because we are aware of the context already. Those who are unfamiliar though, will be confused.

On another point, what if I started calling a cat .. a poolisomen. Would anyone else know what I am talking about? If you showed someone KSP for the first time and said, take a look at Kerbol. Do you think they are going to look at the sun? I bet they will be confused. Then when you tell them the green men are kerbals, they will be even more confused.

Just so you know, you will not win this argument, because you are wrong.

You're the one not getting it. Let me try dumbing it down a little for you.

"Do you know what a Kerbol is?" - It is not the same as saying "do you know what a sun is?" It's the same as saying "do you know what a the sun is?" and that doesn't make any sense. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that you're referring to a kerbal. Kerbol is a proper noun (look it up). People don't say "do you know what a <proper noun> is?". That's the point I'm trying to make.

"Oh look at that kerbal!" - It's not the same as saying "oh look at that sun" because Sun is a proper noun. "The Sun" is "a star". You could say "oh look at that star!" but not "oh look at that sun!" Likewise, you could say "oh look at that kerbal!" but you wouldn't say "oh look at that Steve!" You'd just say, "oh look at Steve!"

You should read up on indefinite articles and their impact on the English language.

I'm afraid you're the one that's wrong.

I says the sun. But that's just what kind of object it is. It obviously need s a name #trollface.

Yes I made it up logically, but where's the fun in saying that when there's lore to be made?

@post above me: or you could lighten up and not refer to people with imaginations as four-year olds

I didn't call anyone a 4 year old, think you should reread what I said. I said giving things odd names like fluffies and slobbers sound like something a 4 year old would do. Which even then isn't calling people who do that 4 year olds. Example .. saying something someone said sounds stupid .. doesn't mean you are calling them stupid.

Anyway back to on topic. It's sun. You are not the lore master, so what you say has very little to do with what is the actual name or what should be the actual name.

Having an imagination is fine, but arguing what a sun "should" be called is just weird when it already is called the sun. If another name is going to be chosen in the future, I doubt it will be Kerbol as it's way to similar to Kerbal.

You're the one not getting it. Let me try dumbing it down a little for you.

"Do you know what a Kerbol is?" - It is not the same as saying "do you know what a sun is?" It's the same as saying "do you know what a the sun is?" and that doesn't make any sense. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that you're referring to a kerbal. Kerbol is a proper noun (look it up). People don't say "do you know what a <proper noun> is?". That's the point I'm trying to make.

"Oh look at that kerbal!" - It's not the same as saying "oh look at that sun" because Sun is a proper noun. "The Sun" is "a star". You could say "oh look at that star!" but not "oh look at that sun!" Likewise, you could say "oh look at that kerbal!" but you wouldn't say "oh look at that Steve!" You'd just say, "oh look at Steve!"

You should read up on indefinite articles and their impact on the English language.

I'm afraid you're the one that's wrong.

Oh ok I see what you mean. No no .. you are right. However, that really wasn't my point and you are arguing about proper English now. That doesn't change the fact it is still confusing, and how many people in the world use proper English? Sadly I am not an English teacher. As for dumbing it down, your an ass.

I am not stupid, just am not some amazing English speaking machine. As I said though, you are right. However, it is still called the sun in the game. Not Kerbol.

I said giving things odd names like fluffies and slobbers sound like something a 4 year old would do. Which even then isn't calling people who do that 4 year olds.

...You see this Eyebrow? It's currently raised. You said an activity in which several people in this forum have done and are valiantly(or foolishly) fighting for is something a four year old would do. It's very easy to be taken in a way that can make it seem that you are calling said people a four year old. If you had posted this in a youtube comments section (the depths of idiocy) you'd receive MASSIVE amounts of hate for it regardless of what you meant. best to not say it at all.

As for this thread, we've moved way far from the topic: What do you call the sun/Kerbol? The topic isn't "Why it's not Kerbol and why you're wrong and childish" I honestly don't give a crap about what it's called, I just noticed an Argument and attempted(poorly) to shift it into a debate regarding why the Kerbals would choose to call their sun what.

@ post above me: We've entered the realm of name-calling. *sigh* Mods? Don't close thread but steer us away from a flamewar.

Edited by Rage097

Brabbit: This thread isn't about what the sun *should* be called. It's about what people prefer to call it in their own games. Your points are valid, but your presentation is what is ticking people off. When you present a point sarcastically, it could be the most correct thing in the world but people are still only going to hear (or in this case, read) the sarcasm. Keep in mind the phrase "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

itsme: Brabbit is baiting you. Don't get angry and start flaming him, because that's going to for sure get this thread closed. You like to call the Sun Kerbol, and Brabbit likes to call Kerbol the Sun. It's neat to hear why you each think it should be called that, but when it devolves into a shouting match then it's just going to have to stop and somebody has to disengage.

Now can we please either take the tension down a couple of notches, or drop the argument altogether if that can't be done? Take a few minutes to cool off, both of you.

...You see this Eyebrow? It's currently raised. You said an activity in which several people in this forum have done and are valiantly(or foolishly) fighting for is something a four year old would do. It's very easy to be taken in a way that can make it seem that you are calling said people a four year old. If you had posted this in a youtube comments section (the depths of idiocy) you'd receive MASSIVE amounts of hate for it regardless of what you meant. best to not say it at all.

As for this thread, we've moved way far from the topic: What do you call the sun/Kerbol? The topic isn't "Why it's not Kerbol and why you're wrong and childish" I honestly don't give a crap about what it's called, I just noticed an Argument and attempted(poorly) to shift it into a debate regarding why the Kerbals would choose to call their sun what.

I said "sounds like" something a 4 year old would do. No offence, but it does. I am not calling anyone stupid, or a 4 year old or anything like that. I am just stating what it sounds like "to me."

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you call it, it is still called the sun in the game. Not many people will know what you are talking about unless they play KSP fairly often. Heck I didn't even know this till this thread. I just assumed it was called the sun. That means if I came across someone talking about kerbol, I wouldn't have realized they where talking about the sun. I would have just assumed they meant Kerbal, and then been confused by their post.

This really isn't a matter of lore, what a kerbal would or would not do. All lore is speculative and it really means absolutely nothing until confirmed. I simply commented because I am surprised with how many people actually call it Kerbol. It's not even well thought up, it's a bad name and it's way to close to Kerbal. You can't assume everyone will not get confused.

Brabbit: This thread isn't about what the sun *should* be called. It's about what people prefer to call it in their own games. Your points are valid, but your presentation is what is ticking people off. When you present a point sarcastically, it could be the most correct thing in the world but people are still only going to hear (or in this case, read) the sarcasm. Keep in mind the phrase "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

itsme: Brabbit is baiting you. Don't get angry and start flaming him, because that's going to for sure get this thread closed. You like to call the Sun Kerbol, and Brabbit likes to call Kerbol the Sun. It's neat to hear why you each think it should be called that, but when it devolves into a shouting match then it's just going to have to stop and somebody has to disengage.

Now can we please either take the tension down a couple of notches, or drop the argument altogether if that can't be done? Take a few minutes to cool off, both of you.

Her not him. But ya, I see what you mean. It's just I put my opinion in, and got comments back lol. So I replied to said comments and it just progressed. They honestly shouldn't be questioning my opinion on the matter unless they want to know why.

Edited by Brabbit1987

I can save us from the Flamewar.

Brabbit, google this:

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

And be prepared to Headdesk.

ROFL, didn't know people still believed in such things. Hopefully, I never meet one of them. It would be a meeting that should never happen. I wouldn't know how to deal with a situation like that.

Well said.

Calling it the sun is more accurate since that is what it is called. I hardly call that lazy. I call it smart. Calling it something it isn't, like, Kerbol is just plain silly and makes no sense.

Course I am going to say this, I don't care what everyone decides to call it. Just know, I personally think it's kinda dumb to call it anything besides it's actual name.

Some say it makes sense due to sol for solar are star, but solar is a human term, not a kerbal term. So mixing it to become Kerbol is just silly and you might as well call it the sun since it makes more sense and is less confusing to those who are unaware that random people like to call it kerbol for what ever reason that is. Might as well start renaming all the planets to Kerbool, Kerbaal, Kerrbol and Kerboll and so on and so fourth.

Why, that's a stupid idea.

If you look at it from an etymology standpoint, you could derive Kerbol like this:

Kerbal - Name of the species; "us"

Kerb - Shortening of Kerbal

In - Kerbese for rock

Ol - Kerbese for light

Hence, Kerbin means "our rock", and Kerbal means "Our Light". Perfectly reasonable if you ask me. Admittedly, this relies on many assumptions, however it does show that it's not just some corruption of Kerbal designed by a hyperactive four year old.

The other planets may have been discovered later, after Kerbals realised that not everything orbited Kerbin (the very famous Keocentric model of the universe).

Edited by Holo

Kerbol.

I just called it the sun until I went to wiki which refers the sun as Kerbol and adopted the name.

The wiki should refer to it as the sun, because that's what the actual game refers to it as.

Why, that's a stupid idea.

If you look at it from an etymology standpoint, you could derive Kerbol like this:

Kerbal - Name of the species; "us"

Kerb - Shortening of Kerbal

In - Kerbese for rock

Ol - Kerbese for light

Hence, Kerbin means "our rock", and Kerbal means "Our Light". Perfectly reasonable if you ask me. Admittedly, this relies on many assumptions, however it does show that it's not just some corruption of Kerbal designed by a hyperactive four year old.

The other planets may have been discovered later, after Kerbals realised that not everything orbited Kerbin (the very famous Keocentric model of the universe).

I think I am just going to stick to calling it the sun. I just don't see any reason to call it anything else. I also don't like when things sound to similar, then I have many issues with pronunciations and then it just gets on my nerves. On top of that, when and if they release an actual name for it, then I won't be the one who has the bad habit of calling it by an unofficial name due to habit.

I think I am just going to stick to calling it the sun. I just don't see any reason to call it anything else. I also don't like when things sound to similar, then I have many issues with pronunciations and then it just gets on my nerves. On top of that, when and if they release an actual name for it, then I won't be the one who has the bad habit of calling it by an unofficial name due to habit.

As am I :-). Just saying why I don't think it's a stupid sounding name, I why I don't hikpeople should recoil in anger screaming "K Syndrome" upon the slightest mention of it :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.