SAS or ASAS on buggies

I have a problem where my buggy does not keep itself straight, causing it to turn away from the prograde marker and causing itself to flip around and die. Would adding a SAS module or an ASAS module help with this problem?

Well SAS will help prevent you from flipping, so it could be useful.

ASAS is a double sided knife, it could help keep your rover on level, but as soon as you go on a slope you need to reset it else it could flip you over instead.

Personally I never put ASAS on my rover cause I tend to forget, SAS adds a lot of stability so I put one.

ASAS exerts almost no effect by itself and is made to work through helper parts like control surfaces, gimbaled engines, and RCS. If you don't have any of those things on your rover (and why would you?), ASAS is little more than dead weight. SAS, however, does help keep a ground vehicle stable, all by itself.

ASAS exerts almost no effect by itself and is made to work through helper parts like control surfaces, gimbaled engines, and RCS. If you don't have any of those things on your rover (and why would you?), ASAS is little more than dead weight. SAS, however, does help keep a ground vehicle stable, all by itself.

It also uses command module torque, so if you have a very light rover it can have a rather large effect.

It also uses command module torque
Command pod torque is active whenever SAS mode is on and does not have to be directed by ASAS, so it will exert its effect whether you have an ASAS onboard or not. If you've got a capsule on there already, you don't need to add to its much stronger inherent with the lesser effect of the ASAS.

Command pod torque is active whenever SAS mode is on and does not have to be directed by ASAS, so it will exert its effect whether you have an ASAS onboard or not. If you've got a capsule on there already, you don't need to add to its much stronger inherent with the lesser effect of the ASAS.

Yes, but what I meant is that the ASAS can hold a given heading using pod torque. Of course pods have an integrated SAS, but that only stops roll, if you want to hold a heading you're gonna need that ASAS unit.

So if I used the new wheels or a command pod I should be fine, else stick a SAS module on? My current buggy is just a few command seats and the RoveMax Model 1 wheels (along with other structural materials), any substantial deviation from the prograde marker ends up with it fallen over and unable to get up.

Anything that will either get me to not deviate from the path or anything that will stop me from flipping over would be useful

An SAS should be better now. It will fight all he can to prevent you from rotating in any direction. An ASAS would help you keep a direction, but as soon as your prograde vector would change it would start trying to push you away from your marker so it would be very dangerous :l

An SAS should be better now. It will fight all he can to prevent you from rotating in any direction. An ASAS would help you keep a direction, but as soon as your prograde vector would change it would start trying to push you away from your marker so it would be very dangerous :l

wouldn't regular SAS also push me back when I decide to turn?

no. SAS only stops rotation. it does not produce additional counter-rotation to maintain a heading like ASAS.

so if I myself was to turn left it would let me, but if the craft was veering left it would attempt to stop it

Pod torque resists rotation on all axes.

Technicaly, when we talk about pod torque, we talk about the ability of a pod to create angular moment in space without the need of RCS. But yes, each pod is equipped with a weak (compared to the standalone modules) SAS force if you press T. And SAS modules will indeed resist to any turn. You might find it harder to turn, but it might prevent you from tipping over.

Yes, but what I meant is that the ASAS can hold a given heading using pod torque. Of course pods have an integrated SAS, but that only stops roll, if you want to hold a heading you're gonna need that ASAS unit.

Yes benefit of sas is that it keeps an jumping rover level, you need to turn it on and off the driving in hills, but overall I found it usefull

I've had loads of trouble with my rovers becoming unstable at higher speeds.

I made my new rover compact and fairly light using the new wheels and added extra probe cores. It has 6 of the OKTO2 ones and now stays much flatter and smoother over bumps. Also has asas.

It's best to test then on Kerbin. Go over some of the bumps there at full speed and see how it reacts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.