Caterpillar Tracks- NOW OPEN SOURCE, ALL FILES OPEN TO PUBLIC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dude, check this out:

they work perfectly, all they needed was tech nodes.

As fox said, Endless controls the plugin, but I have temporary rights on the models. (not like I'd do much, I cannot model for ****.)

Post 154 from that new thread

• 2 months later...

I am pulling this thread up from the depths, to announce that I have returned to work on, and update the caterpillar tracks. I wont say much about my plans yet, but things are in motion.

For a nice teaser, have one of the newest sets currently in development. First person to guess what the design is based on gets something. I havent decided on what the something is yet, but chances are its a nothing.

3af7857f7c23467e2032cdf28d0c366e.png

I am pulling this thread up from the depths, to announce that I have returned to work on, and update the caterpillar tracks. I wont say much about my plans yet, but things are in motion.

For a nice teaser, have one of the newest sets currently in development. First person to guess what the design is based on gets something. I havent decided on what the something is yet, but chances are its a nothing.

http://gyazo.com/3af7857f7c23467e2032cdf28d0c366e.png

The M1 Abrams Tank?

Very nice to see this in good hands :) I have always thought tracks belong in KSP.

Looking at your new model I could only say that I hope that the updates will be as modular as possible - even though I like the old large tracks, KSP is a building game, and as such I feel that the tracks should be seperate parts.

I look forward to seeing more :)

http://gyazo.com/3af7857f7c23467e2032cdf28d0c366e.png

The first thing I thought of was the Goliath mine.

It is wonderful to see this being brought back. However, I have a request.

PLEASE PUT SUSPENSION ON ALL THE TRACKS. Only one of the concept tracts can conform to the terrain, and anything you build with the other tracks cannot handle terrain rougher than a golf ball. I mean, I still try to use them, but I can only get so far. Usually to the end of the runway.

PLEASE PUT SUSPENSION ON ALL THE TRACKS. Only one of the concept tracts can conform to the terrain, and anything you build with the other tracks cannot handle terrain rougher than a golf ball. I mean, I still try to use them, but I can only get so far. Usually to the end of the runway.

Which one does this work on?

Great to see the interest in these tracks still exists. Work has taken me away from this for a while but now I'm back to fix 'em up and make 'em pretty (Because I really dont like how the current ones look. They never were meant to be permanent).

There are some changes now though. The original plugin creator seems to have also vanished, and I cannot get a response from him. This means I cannot hand his plugin over to anyone else to edit, so we are most likely making a new plugin altogether (6.Forty has offered his skillsets for this task). GalacticRuler (who has kept hold of these tracks during my absence) has also handed me a list of the common requests for these tracks, such as variable speeds and grip, more realistic tracks and more. We shall see what can be done for these requests.

It must be the apollo-shuttle mover. Ill take the nothing, pretty please.

Correct, you win the nothing. Please keep nothing away from eyes and orifices, do not feed the nothing after midnight, do not anger the nothing. The nothing is not suitable for human children, or human adults.

There was suspension on all the tracks, although on most it was very stiff. I'll take this into consideration with the new sets though.

Actually, one of the requests I'd like to make is for the MkV set, which I think I did make in this thread to the original author.

Basically, can you make the two individual treads on the MkV turn like wheels, i.e. their direction of rotation when turning is relative to CoM rather than fixed? I built some rather large vehicles using them that were prone to tearing apart because the tracks kept trying to turn in random directions.

Actually, one of the requests I'd like to make is for the MkV set, which I think I did make in this thread to the original author.

Basically, can you make the two individual treads on the MkV turn like wheels, i.e. their direction of rotation when turning is relative to CoM rather than fixed? I built some rather large vehicles using them that were prone to tearing apart because the tracks kept trying to turn in random directions.

This is something I am considering right now. I have also suffered the torn-apart vehicles because the tracks fight each other so much. The NASA crawler used this kind of steering rather than the conventional tracked steering, likely for the same reason.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.