Caterpillar Tracks- NOW OPEN SOURCE, ALL FILES OPEN TO PUBLIC

Several users have requested a speed boost. As I would like to request the opposite ,my suggestion is to make the speed dependant on a parameter in the part.cfg file.

And thank you very much for the POC tracks!

Now this would keep everyone happy, track speed dependent on the user.

Unfortunately EndlessWaves is outta action for a couple weeks, and I cant code so that one will have to wait a bit, but solid idea is solid.

Several users have requested a speed boost. As I would like to request the opposite ,my suggestion is to make the speed dependant on a parameter in the part.cfg file.

And thank you very much for the POC tracks!

Whats the point in this? They have cruise control after all. Right now the tracks are limited by top speed, nothing can change that. However you can go as slow as you want, despite what the max speed is....

Whats the point in this? They have cruise control after all. Right now the tracks are limited by top speed, nothing can change that. However you can go as slow as you want, despite what the max speed is....

I still find it to be a good idea, some have requested fast tracks, others want to keep them the same speed.

This way the sets can appeal to multiple crowds without making double the track sets.

Ah, my bad.

"Several users have requested a speed boost. As I would like to request the opposite " that's the part that got stuck in my head.

User definable max speed would be awesome....course im gonna break em if you do that =P im sure I wont be the only one

Ah, my bad.

"Several users have requested a speed boost. As I would like to request the opposite " that's the part that got stuck in my head.

User definable max speed would be awesome....course im gonna break em if you do that =P im sure I wont be the only one

Im sure the kerbal system will be filled with physic-defying tracked vehicles, all baiting the kraken.

Not quite. Try to move the vehicle just a very slight distance, you'll notice that it's always too fast.

To solve the attachment problems with the Mk2, alter all the 9.5 values in the nodes to 9.6.

F.e. change node_stack_top1 = 0, 9.5, 3.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1 to node_stack_top1 = 0, 9.6, 3.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

Connected parts have a tendency to come loose easily. Alter the breakingForce and BreakingTorque to a higher number.

Edited by TheCardinal

Not quite. Try to move the vehicle just a very slight distance, you'll notice that it's always too fast.QUOTE]

I have never had an issue getting a fast ground vehicle to move slow as I need it to. Set cruise control to action key...not that hard.

My wayland towtruck goes 60 m/s(if unloaded) but I have no problems at all getting it going 0.2m/s with cruise control.

hehehe just curious...has anyone managed to destroy a set of Mark5 tracks? I was playing around sticking jet engines ontop one. Got it up to 60 m/s and then slamed into SPH (not intended..no steering that fast=P) and the Mark5 survived.

Nice, but possible have Tiny "large mole tracks" ?

You could just use the rescalefactor in the CFG file, although they will be VERY slow when shrunk down. Alternatively, I believe increasing the size of the smaller sets will increase their speed somewhat (for those of you wanting faster large platforms).

You're not the only ones making tanks...

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/884110885605225202/00792B5028421221DB53A5A4E7470EF189FAFE0F/

I remember there was a

, among other weapons. If anyone could confirm Damned Robotics is fixed, then I could atleast make a rotary turret with lazor rockets.

I found a version of the railgun mod someone updated to at least work in 0.20.2 and I made a hashed together, awkward-but-functional tweak to make the railgun rounds act like a less powerful LAZOR missile when it impacts something. Also have the DR "fix" until it's updated proper. I'm literally driving around having turn based tank battles with myself and just blew the turret off one tank then sent it cartwheeling in the air minus half the chassis.

hehehe just curious...has anyone managed to destroy a set of Mark5 tracks? I was playing around sticking jet engines ontop one. Got it up to 60 m/s and then slamed into SPH (not intended..no steering that fast=P) and the Mark5 survived.

I have managed to destroy one set, with the smallest lazor cruise missile, but they ar a little bit OP though...

I found a version of the railgun mod someone updated to at least work in 0.20.2 and I made a hashed together, awkward-but-functional tweak to make the railgun rounds act like a less powerful LAZOR missile when it impacts something. Also have the DR "fix" until it's updated proper. I'm literally driving around having turn based tank battles with myself and just blew the turret off one tank then sent it cartwheeling in the air minus half the chassis.

Can you post a link to the mod? Please? That would be awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/W74XE5G.png

(warning, 1680x1050 image)

I usually stick to the VAB (honestly, I need to LAUNCH some of the things I've made...), but this is just too awesome. This little guy is going to Duna.

If you're wondering, he's powered by two tiny RTGs from here and a small battery from KSPX. The fuel tank is just there because I don't have a purely structural bit in the right size.

2 Mk 5s on one rover/tank/miner/ect... not attached to eachother want to go different ways when turning.

If they are both on opposite sides of the COM, then yeah, thats what theyre supposed to do.

For those of you wanting faster giant tracks, there is something of a workaround until the first update gets released with (hopefully) user configurable specs.

Using the Rescalefactor in the CFG of the tracks, simply turn any of the smaller sets larger to suit your needs, although their strength and speed will also scale.

Heres one I made earlier: The invertible tracks with a rescale factor of 4, mounted on a ridiculous carrier of some form.

screenshot11.png

Top speed of around 60m/s

screenshot13.png

And retains hill climbing ability...

screenshot18.png

GpWzBdP.png

This rover was a pain to get on the Mün, but was worth it. The body is actually a LFO tank from the B9 aerospace mod and I put some Mono propellant tanks underneath along with a small rocket engine. It also has two floodlights (obviously on the front) and you can see some RTGs on the side of the body (four on each side). Also, thanks to the rocket engine, it's self landing, but landing it can go horrible wrong if you don't follow a certain procedure.

Tried for first time, doesnt work. The parts displays in SPH, they are usable, you can even ad action keys to functions, you can launch craft and then right click to get the menu, but thats all tracks doesnt respond to any command. i will investigate more tomorow evening.

Oh i have mechjeb on the vehicle. Could that be a problem?

Tried for first time, doesnt work. The parts displays in SPH, they are usable, you can even ad action keys to functions, you can launch craft and then right click to get the menu, but thats all tracks doesnt respond to any command. i will investigate more tomorow evening.

Oh i have mechjeb on the vehicle. Could that be a problem?

MJ shouldnt be an issue, are you starting with the general control mode?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.