Caterpillar Tracks- NOW OPEN SOURCE, ALL FILES OPEN TO PUBLIC

A long time ago...

In a Forum far, far away...

EjhRjCn.png

It's godawful, I know (please, someone out-do me here ;P) It just had to be done :3

Loving these tracks, I would say my one gripe though, is while they do have good torque, on even the slightest Kerbin incline, the Mk3s in particular just tank (if you'll excuse the pun) and can't climb at the pace I would have expected of tracks, but oddities like this are to be expected from a first release, exceptional work regardless ;D

I've had a few comments of the SpacePort page of the tracks not working, I can only assume you might have installed the mod wrong.

You need to just copy the entire GameData folder straight into the KSP root folder, merging with the original GameData folder there, and thats it.

Also any issues you have, it'd be easier to post them here so I can respond to each post personally.

Been playing around with the Tracks, Very Nice! Though I do have a bit of trouble with my miner not wanting to go in a straight line, But I've got a great turning system!! Some Deadly Robotics rotatrons and motorized hinges and I have a maneuverable and terrain variable miner. Also handy for getting it set down on some landing legs when I want it to stay put, just raise the treads off the ground and let the legs do the rest!

Though if it would be possible for some more fixed sets like the BIG tracks would be nice, that or at least a version that has some nodes I can use to snap them in place so I can make them a little more uniform. I think the reason it's pulling to the side is that they're ever so slightly out of alignment.....

Overall An Excellent First Release!!!!

Been playing around with the Tracks, Very Nice! Though I do have a bit of trouble with my miner not wanting to go in a straight line, But I've got a great turning system!! Some Deadly Robotics rotatrons and motorized hinges and I have a maneuverable and terrain variable miner. Also handy for getting it set down on some landing legs when I want it to stay put, just raise the treads off the ground and let the legs do the rest!

Though if it would be possible for some more fixed sets like the BIG tracks would be nice, that or at least a version that has some nodes I can use to snap them in place so I can make them a little more uniform. I think the reason it's pulling to the side is that they're ever so slightly out of alignment.....

Overall An Excellent First Release!!!!

Any images of this miner? :D

As for the pulling to the side, I think it may have to do with some slight torque variances between tracks. I'll see about some kind of regulating system to fix this.

aNY PICTURES

I notice it does pull to one side when the cruse control is on, but then straightens out after I turn it off.

A long time ago...

In a Forum far, far away...

Watch your rocket parts boys, the Jawas are in town.

Edited by Tommygun

What is the "General" control mode?

That means if follows the general controls used for engines, control surfaces, pod torque, RCS etc. Speed depends on the throttle, keys used to turn depend on how it's oriented relative to the control panel etc.

One big advantage is that the tracks should always provide force in the same direction as everything else, so your command pod torque will always assist turning rather than opposing it or trying to tip you over. We started this mod before rovers so this was the original control system, rover mode was a later addition but backwards and forwards keys are handy for testing so it kind of became the default. It could easily be changed for the polished release if people find they prefer general for actual use.

I think the reverse gear on the mark 5 may be broken.

The reverse action only works with general control mode, with rover control mode there's a dedicated reverse key so it ignores that. It's not really the most obvious of systems and there's no manual yet, so suggestions on how to improve it would be welcome.

actually, did you intend to package the dll in a separate gamedata sub-folder from the actual tracks?

Aye, until we get details of how the game manages conflicts between two versions of a plugin I felt it was more sensible to put it in a general place in case other people want to make their own track models, that way at least you know you're overwriting something and there may be a problem rather than multiple copies fighting silently in the background.

However it is not smart enough to know that the inside track would have to have a different torque and speed than the outside track, so it is causing each track-base to twist on it's own connection node, and thus the source of the problems I was having before.

That's the disadvantage of a modular part system, it doesn't lend itself to co-ordination between parts. There are potential ways to do it though so I've added it to the list of future refinements.

It also seems that the mark 5s have a different torque going backwards than forwards. It may be my imagination, but if so I think that needs to be fixed because 90% of what those are gonna be used for is giant platforms, and that difference might make things break apart like with my gantry

They should provide the same torque when going in the same direction whether they're mounted backwards or forwards. Not very realistic but as you say pretty much essential for usability with the game's attachment system.

They will go slower if you reverse the direction the vessel is going (i.e. hit the reverse key) but again they'll all provide the same torque regardless of mounting direction.

Played around a bit with it last night.

Only request I would make is to make the Johnny-5/Wall-E set configurable for turning like a wheel or adding a second version with a knuckle joint to allow this.

I have considered making sets for this, they will likely appear in the future.

Ive been busy with a new subsurface sea vehicle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eajrwo0j0498jgb/screenshot251.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q02byjpqdns266j/screenshot252.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ed8wbs55ffba1xy/screenshot253.png

Somehow dropbox pictures aren't accepted anymore.

Edited by TheCardinal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.