Caterpillar Tracks- NOW OPEN SOURCE, ALL FILES OPEN TO PUBLIC

So if I place them manually without using symmetry, my idea should work...?

Try this version, it seems to work for me:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=384BA28C8578E539!168&authkey=!ANVlE6WFe4eumlM

Placing them manually all facing the same way should work as well.

I'm off until the end of the month so I won't be updating the plugin side in the mean time.

Hi Endless, it was accelerating for a good 30 secs before i got bored and toggled it off,

it also steered gradually to one side (left - mirroring bug?)

i've recorded the below where i leave it on, takes me a couple of goes but is repeatable.

sorry first go at recording, can see its too low res to see whats happening,

on the try at 3:26, i activate cruise as its going down the slop off the end of run way, then it runs away,

torque hits 15+ then flickers between 0 and 15 and RPM exceeds 800 max stated

Edited by warmadmax

Is there any chance in the future, though, that these things will get a speed boost?

YES please!!!!

I understand you were going for realism, most tracked vehicles are slow...most. But I think its a little much, the Mark5 track is borderline unusable due to its speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M5_Tractor

take this thing for example....this was in service in WWII, so very realistic, top speed of 30mph....and that's old!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams

a little more modern..top speed of 67mph.......for a 60+ton armored vehicle

all of these tracks could be a bit faster and be WELL within the bounds of realism

I think the mk5 was modeled more after this bad boy. the smaller ones are more in line with what the abrams uses.

That may be so, even though that bad boy (maybe a bit of an understatement lol) looks like four Mark5's.

I still stand by my original request, a bit of speed for the lot of them would make them much more useable. Honestly as is I don't see myself using the Mark5 for anything...just to slow, I have never needed to go that slow for anything I do in KSP, of course I know that may not be so for other...but you don't have to go at max speed if you don't want to.

Is it possible for you to create a tank frame of sorts or a frame that can hold the different tracks for different things like how the DEMV (Duna Exploration Manned Vehicle) was?

I highly recommend trying a mod made by Lack Lusted Labs. Just type LLL and go to like page 30 of the LLL thread and search from there for a link to track housings, posted by Lack himself. :)

Is it possible for you to create a tank frame of sorts or a frame that can hold the different tracks for different things like how the DEMV (Duna Exploration Manned Vehicle) was?

This is a possibilty in the future, but no time soon. The tracks right now are pretty flexible in their usability.

The MK5 was modelled after the Thunderbirds mobile platform, although Ive wanted to make some Nasa crawler tracks.

If anyone could confirm Damned Robotics is fixed, then I could atleast make a rotary turret with lazor rockets.

not fixed but theres a fork for it. Been info on that in damned robotic thread for some time now....

I've been building several half-track vehicles lately with the stock TR-L2 Ruggedized wheel and the Mark three track and I can't really say they perform as expected. All are stable and reasonably fast but they tend to have a mind of their own when it comes to steering. As soon as I let go of the controls they veer off course. Even MechJeb's rover pilot needs to give constant input to keep them in a straight line.

If I use just wheels or just tracks this behavior does not happen. It only happens with half-tracks.

Edit: I replaced the Ruggedized wheels with regular medium stock wheels and now it's responds to the steering as it should. I think it's due to the fact the Ruggedized wheels and the tracks both have so much tracking they are fighting each other.

Edited by Tex_NL

I've been building several half-track vehicles lately with the stock TR-L2 Ruggedized wheel and the Mark three track and I can't really say they perform as expected. All are stable and reasonably fast but they tend to have a mind of their own when it comes to steering. As soon as I let go of the controls they veer off course. Even MechJeb's rover pilot needs to give constant input to keep them in a straight line.

If I use just wheels or just tracks this behavior does not happen. It only happens with half-tracks.

I've actually noticed this as well, but didn't feel like reporting it, since it's a minor issue totally overshadowed by the cool factor of tracks.

You're not the only ones making tanks...

00792B5028421221DB53A5A4E7470EF189FAFE0F

I remember there was a

, among other weapons. If anyone could confirm Damned Robotics is fixed, then I could atleast make a rotary turret with lazor rockets.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-18-2-pirated-weaponry-jawrd-redux/

Just as a reminder. Jellycube is no longer a functioning mod. Pirated weaponry took over jellycube.

I've noticed that the Landing Gear-based enabling is really finicky and it's caused some control issues for me. Is there a way to disable this?

The brakes are also really wacky for the Mark 6 when on low-gravity bodies (I've only tested on Mun so far, but the issue remains...), resulting in some really weird wiggling around. Specifically it looks like certain points on the tread bottoms get glued to the ground and then the rest of the rover wobbles around madly.

Here's the .craft file I'm using: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jny9omxbz0jri4x/Munar%20Utility%20Vehicle.craft

It might just be a lack of struts, but at 33 parts I don't really want to add any. :huh:

I've noticed that the Landing Gear-based enabling is really finicky and it's caused some control issues for me. Is there a way to disable this?

The brakes are also really wacky for the Mark 6 when on low-gravity bodies (I've only tested on Mun so far, but the issue remains...), resulting in some really weird wiggling around. Specifically it looks like certain points on the tread bottoms get glued to the ground and then the rest of the rover wobbles around madly.

Here's the .craft file I'm using: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jny9omxbz0jri4x/Munar%20Utility%20Vehicle.craft

It might just be a lack of struts, but at 33 parts I don't really want to add any. :huh:

I believe this is an issue with the in-game braking system, I have seen similar twitches on some of the stock rover wheels (to a lesser extent) at times.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.