[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm having trouble trying to get RocketFuel (both LF and 0x), and RocketParts connected to the Launchpad.

Mind you, I'm using the Sphere Launchpad, the small one. Using five rovers to connect them like a train, and use couplers to feed the resources to the launchpad. The rovers are 4x4 plates, with two 1x1's to house the couplers. Tried to make them as compact as possible for easy payload transport when the time comes.

Another thing, the tooltips claim that the two capsules to the right of the first picture shown below (the RocketParts ones), contain RocketParts. Yet both are empty, and also show as empty on the tooltip. Why is this? :huh:

Any help would be great. I'm desperately trying to figure out how this mod works.

2pzi5wz.jpg

2qu0odd.jpg

Using the latest version of Kethane, and both latest versions of Extraplanetary Launchpads and Sphere Launchpads.

Edited by Benie

I'm having trouble trying to get RocketFuel (both LF and 0x), and RocketParts connected to the Launchpad.

It's probably the docking ports; they're known to have crossfeeding issues.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm having trouble trying to get RocketFuel (both LF and 0x), and RocketParts connected to the Launchpad.

Mind you, I'm using the Sphere Launchpad, the small one. Using five rovers to connect them like a train, and use couplers to feed the resources to the launchpad. The rovers are 4x4 plates, with two 1x1's to house the couplers. Tried to make them as compact as possible for easy payload transport when the time comes.

Another thing, the tooltips claim that the two capsules to the right of the picture (the RocketParts ones), contain RocketParts. Yet both are empty. Why is this? :huh:

Any help would be needed. Also, pictures;

Using the latest version of Kethane, and both latest versions of Extraplanetary Launchpads and Sphere Launchpads.

LiquidFuel and oxidizer have to be connected with fuel lines. Currently the only way to do this with a docked ship would be to use the KAS refueling port I think.

I usually don't have a problem with parts when I connect a pod with rocketparts into the building module when using the KAS system. Just add some remountable docking ports to your build, and some winches with connectors. they feed pretty well that way. though, sometimes, it doesn't read the connections for fuels, so I wind up having to EVA and refuel while on the pad

Another thing, the tooltips claim that the two capsules to the right of the first picture shown below (the RocketParts ones), contain RocketParts. Yet both are empty, and also show as empty on the tooltip. Why is this? :huh:

Wher did you get the sphere launchpads.

Ok. That does make sense, that couplers can't feed fuel to the sphere. Forgive me, I'm a noob at this game, and this mod.

So to use the refueling part of KAS, where am I going to attach the nozzle to the sphere? Can't I attach the nozzle to the rover itself? I'm hoping to keep the current rover design (as that's all I can think of). :(

But why are the RocketParts containers empty? That's what's really puzzling me. :confused: Where do you get RocketParts? I thought I read somewhere that you can strap these on to a rocket to get the parts needed.

Wher did you get the sphere launchpads.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37188-GNE-Industries-Animating-Space?p=471214

Edited by Benie

Could you please keep the debug mode or some alternative to it, so we can define if the given launchpad is free build enabled or not.

It would be useful for reactivating KSC2 for instance, or other scenario related things (like the youtube space race thingy, or semi multiplayer games where everyone has there own main base with free building and others with resource management enabled..). Of course it's possible to hack around it with a resource generator or something, but it'd be nicer if I could make an alternative version of the launchpad with free building enabled, and use that, or the normal one depending on where I plan to deploy the thing.

Same for the 200t limit, (not sure if this is active now or not, just saw it mentioned) maybe a warning or an on off in the config, I mean if it collapses on me well I try something different, It does collapses on me on the main launch pad as well anyway.. :D

Good stuff by the way :D

Edited by kolt16

Ok. That does make sense, that couplers can't feed fuel to the sphere. Forgive me, I'm a noob at this game.

So to use the refueling part of KAS, where am I going to attach the nozzle to the sphere? Can't I attach the nozzle to the rover itself? I'm hoping to keep the current rover design (as that's all I can think of). :(

But why are the RocketParts containers empty? That's what's really puzzling me. :confused: Where do you get RocketParts? I thought I read somewhere that you can strap these on to a rocket to get the parts needed.

The nozzle would have to either attach to the sphere or to parts through which fuel will flow to the sphere (e.g. cubic octagonal struts).

You currently have to mine ore to build rocketparts, as they weigh quite a lot and it would be pretty much pointless to ship enough for a whole rocket all the way up from Kerbin.

Could you please keep the debug mode or some alternative to it.

It would be useful for reactivating KSC2 for instance, or other scenario related things (like the youtube space race thingy, or semi multiplayer games where everyone has there own main base with free building and others with resource management enabled..). Of course it's possible to hack around it with a resource generator or something, but it'd be nicer if I could make an alternative version of the launchpad with free building enabled, and use that, or the normal one depending on where I plan to deploy the thing.

Good stuff by the way :D

Debug mode will be reactivated for next version; it was an oversight that it stopped working in 2.0.

The nozzle would have to either attach to the sphere or to parts through which fuel will flow to the sphere (e.g. cubic octagonal struts).

Ok. To be honest, I don't see how it's possible connecting a nozzle to the sphere, since the entire thing opens up. Wouldn't it damage or destroy the nozzle when it swings open?

Only other thing I can think of is to attach the nozzle to the bottom of the sphere, but that's where the rocket is going to go.

I'm sorry, but I really wish this mod had a wiki or a step by step video tutorial for beginners, on what is needed. I've never established a base or a colony. As I said, I'm half of a complete noob at this game. All I know and know well is how to get a rocket into orbit (not a perfect one) and intersect with another planet.

The only reason I want this mod is to have a remote launchpad to practice landing on the Mun, without all the crap of launching from Kerbin, getting into orbit, gravity slingshotting to Mun, get into orbit around it, and then screw up on the landing and have to end the mission.

Yes, it's realistic to do this. But it also feels a waste of my time of what I really want to practice on. The fact this game has no feature that I can just..., re-try the approach, and nothing else. :mad:

Edited by Benie

A while back I asked a question about the resources, ore and Kethane. I understand I had a long post so probably easy to miss. Can both ore and Kethane spawn on the same spot or are they mutually exclusive normally? I know something is up with the kethane debug tool that spawns kethane under a vehicle it's on if EL mod is working so I can't test it that way. I'm just curious if that will be possible in future... or even now and it just has been incredibly unlucky for me as I've never seen ore and Kethane spawn on the same spot yet.

The fact this game has no feature that I can just..., re-try the approach, and nothing else.

Benie, F5 quicksaves, and F9 Loads that quicksave.

1) get your ship in orbit around Mun, hit F5.

2) attempt landing

3) failed? hit F9 go to step 2

4) profit.

I'll add documentation tomorrow.

Skykooler... if you have done this, can you put a link to the "documentation" on the OP? so many people are getting this mod before being KSP experts, (ie: never used kethane, never used KAS, can not relyably land on the mun, etc). and (predictably) having problems.

It would be great to be able to point them to a document that that gives the basics, AND has links to KAS and Kethane documentation as well.

Benie, F5 quicksaves, and F9 Loads that quicksave.

1) get your ship in orbit around Mun, hit F5.

2) attempt landing

3) failed? hit F9 go to step 2

4) profit.

Really? ... Oh my god. If I had known this. :0.0: Thanks, dude. So sorry for the noobness, by the way. This'll save me a lot of grief. :D

With this, I'll play with the mod once the new version is released and debug mode is re-activated. Can't wait to get the new launchpad in it to Mun. :)

So I set up a launchpad on Minmus. The description of the mod infers that this is set up to not require components should you want it that it that way, though I haven't figured out how to set it up so it stops asking for them. My buddy's got his freebuilding though when asked how he replies "I just kinda left it attached to my ship and it worked". So the question is: How do I turn off resource requirements?

So I set up a launchpad on Minmus. The description of the mod infers that this is set up to not require components should you want it that it that way, though I haven't figured out how to set it up so it stops asking for them. My buddy's got his freebuilding though when asked how he replies "I just kinda left it attached to my ship and it worked". So the question is: How do I turn off resource requirements?

Toggling resource requirements has been disabled in v2. skykooler has stated that it will return in the next version.

So is it just me, or does this mod have a pretty violent incompatibility with ISA Mapsat? If I try to build a ship with the ISA Scanner or the GPS Unit, the game freezes. If I delete the plugin for XPL, all works as it should.

Bummer.

So.. about this...

So.. about this...

sure your not hitting memory limit and crashing? also what version of mapsat are you running...there is a lot of issues with the current dev build, including some real bad mem leaks....lots and lots of info in the mapsat thread about all those.

"building launchpads from launchpads" (sorry, thought I quoted the post a few posts up that refers to this, but I didnt)

I second this. Wont let me so far.

Also, any way crew manifest can work with EPL? just in the interests of realism, I dont really like spawning kerbals on other planets, I'd rather build my ships on a foreign planet, and then send only a few larger passanger ships to populate from Kerbin (less big trips). I would like to at least open crew manifest and remove spawned Kerbal from, say, Duna or wherever.

I seem to be having a whole bunch of difficulty actually using these launchpads... I can load something up onto it, but I tend to get some bizarrely awkward spontaneous kraken-like behaviour when I try to launch.. things that work fine on the 'standard' pads going nuts and exploding on a deployed pad.. I can go back to the space center, to the tracking station, and see it "on a sub-orbital trajectory" and can't swap to it.. switch to something nearby and there's no sign of it, use the brackets to switch around between crafts and there's no sign of it..

Is there a knack or something I'm just not getting? Oh, also... protecting it (and things under it?) from damage when rockets are firing off?