[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

I'm having some trouble with this. I'm attempting to build an orbital launchpad in high Minimus orbit ( https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187059/KSP/KutopiaPlanatoo%20ShipYardOne.png ). I've got a couple hundred RocketParts stocked up, and I'm trying to build my first ship, but As soon as I right click the launchpad and click "Show Build Menu", the window appears for a split second, and before I can do anything, it immediately disappears. Anyone else had this problem?

I'm having some trouble with this. I'm attempting to build an orbital launchpad in high Minimus orbit ( https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187059/KSP/KutopiaPlanatoo%20ShipYardOne.png ). I've got a couple hundred RocketParts stocked up, and I'm trying to build my first ship, but As soon as I right click the launchpad and click "Show Build Menu", the window appears for a split second, and before I can do anything, it immediately disappears. Anyone else had this problem?

That is because you are in orbit. This plugin only works while you are on the surface.

@ Patupi

Yeah, I have been pondering something like this, one idea I had was to base the cost of building a part on it's category / attributes.

So we should be able to detect if something is an engine, a structural part, a fuel tank, a bit of electronics (control category), a wing etc.

Then apply different resource costs to these things.

So as you say, an engine needs lots of titanium (Or maybe steel if it is a low power engine), structural is steel, fuel tanks steel and plastics, wings are plastic and a little steel, etc etc.

I like the idea of certain parts of a ship needing more of certain material... but that would mean you'd have to use just materials in construction, rather than the intermediary of 'parts', whether seperated into components, structure, electronics and doodads or not. I like the way it is now, ie constructing the parts first, especially as you can just ship the parts rather than using mining. I suppose you could simplify it and have one or two construction part types, PLUS some rare materials added in for certain types of ship parts. (OK, this is confusing talking about 'construction parts' and 'ship parts', ie the fuel tanks, engines etc. Too many 'parts!)

If we go that way how about having an automatic rating for a part? Say, the cost per unit weight as well as the tab it's under? So if a part costs a lot for it's weight it'll need rare materials (or more of the advanced construction parts if we just go with several types of constuction parts and no added materials), and it the cost is low per unit weight it'll need just basic construction parts for that ship part. It'd be automatic enough to deal with any mod as long as they rate the cost of the ship part well enough and put it in the right tab for that part.

Edited by Patupi
Anti-confusionalization

When I'm loading the game it hangs up on the _.model file.

I noticed the folder is called MACOSX, does this mean the reason is because it's not meant for Windows? And if so is there a Windows download?

Or does it just take an extraordinary amount of time to load? Or is something else a problem?

you can skip coping anything MacOS related when you install the files.

however, they really shouldn't effect anything. (and haven't for anyone else).

Thus, i suspect you installed it into the wrong folders to begin with.

you can skip coping anything MacOS related when you install the files.

however, they really shouldn't effect anything. (and haven't for anyone else).

Thus, i suspect you installed it into the wrong folders to begin with.

I've had things hang when I include the MacOS folder, can't remember if it was for this or modular fuel tanks.

Does anyone know how to get OSX to not create the MACOSX folder when you create a .zip? I've just been using the regular "Compress this folder" feature, but if it's making files that are problematic for Windows or Linux users I should find a different way.

So, you got to get this oversized launch pad to a planet, that is not aerodynamic, and looks like it weighs a ton, therefore might not even leave the launchpad.

A video tutorial on how get this thing into space and to a planet, would be nice. Because I'm completely clueless on how in the hell I'm going to get something like that up there.

Edited by Benie

So is it just me, or does this mod have a pretty violent incompatibility with ISA Mapsat? If I try to build a ship with the ISA Scanner or the GPS Unit, the game freezes. If I delete the plugin for XPL, all works as it should.

Bummer.

So, you got to get this oversized launch pad to a planet, that is not aerodynamic, and looks like it weighs a ton, therefore might not even leave the launchpad.

A video tutorial on how get this thing into space and to a planet, would be nice. Because I'm completely clueless on how in the hell I'm going to get something like that up there.

I agree -- although it's far far lighter than one would expect. I kinda wish it folded the other way, too. One solution may be to dig for some of the other launchpads people have created (there's an octagonal one that folds up a bit like a flower and one that folds into a sphere that looks like it will fit a 3.75m rocket okay).

I managed to hook it up as a Skycrane design. That's the only way I see this working, the way it's facing. The only issue is I can't get the rocket to rotate, even with RCS. It's even worse in space.

So I'm trying even more RCS thrusters. Because in KSP, the more volatile power the better.

Edited by Benie

Well, the thing is, you'll want to use the runway, not the launchpad, since it folds a little better. But, the spericals and the Hooligan pads fold better, and are more streamlined, and there is a thread in the spherical launchpads to add the runway abilities into the launchpads, and it might work with the hooligan ones too.

But, the issue I am having is that it seems no matter what I do, wheeled or treaded vehicles do not rez right on the pads. the treads don't function, wheels show up warped or pop. that, and most of the setups refuse to load, only loading the stock vehicles, then if you try to load a custom one, it'll just show what requirements the other item needed.

Edited by Srilania

Just strap the workings onto rockets, drop em on the Mun, connect them together, and run run run

Unfortunately, Jebidiah Kerman lost the instruction manual on how/where to assemble the parts, while I was trying to strap up the launchpad. So I have no idea how I would be able to connect it up on Mun.

What gets me is the runway for Spaceplanes, is all folded up and nice for transport. Yet the launchpad isn't. I'm almost tempted to spam RCS thrusters to it, just to rotate better in space.

I'm not picking on the mod here. The concept is awesome. But I can't really enjoy it if these things keep happening.

Well, as was stated earlier, they were not the working ones, just a proof of concept. They're working on getting things set up to make better, and there's 2 packs with better as well.

I'm so confused on how the hell all the parts are supposed to link up together. I understand that the launchpad consumes Rocket Parts, Fuel, and Electricity. But how are you supposed to connect all of these things to the launchpad when it has no connection nodes, besides the one for the workbench tower that converts Metal to Rocket Parts? The Smelter can't be connected to either the Tower or the Launchpad, and I have no idea how you're even supposed to have enough room to store all the Rocket Parts you would need assuming I could even connect the storage tanks, considering that even basic 4 stage rockets require like 5000 Rocket Parts and the largest storage tanks only hold a little over 200?

How are you supposed to effectively route ore to the smelter, and then ore to the tower to be processed into metal? These convertors only hold 10 of each unit within their internal storage tanks.

And I'm not even gonna bother asking how these things are supposed to be launched and landed yet. I'll take it one step at a time, and the first step... how do all these things connect together!? :)

I'm so confused on how the hell all the parts are supposed to link up together. I understand that the launchpad consumes Rocket Parts, Fuel, and Electricity. But how are you supposed to connect all of these things to the launchpad when it has no connection nodes, besides the one for the workbench tower that converts Metal to Rocket Parts? The Smelter can't be connected to either the Tower or the Launchpad, and I have no idea how you're even supposed to have enough room to store all the Rocket Parts you would need assuming I could even connect the storage tanks, considering that even basic 4 stage rockets require like 5000 Rocket Parts and the largest storage tanks only hold a little over 200?

How are you supposed to effectively route ore to the smelter, and then ore to the tower to be processed into metal? These convertors only hold 10 of each unit within their internal storage tanks.

And I'm not even gonna bother asking how these things are supposed to be launched and landed yet. I'll take it one step at a time, and the first step... how do all these things connect together!? :)

I generally stick docking ports on them and send them up in multiple flights. :) As for storing things, you can just attach a bunch of hexcans to the components; I couldn't put them all in one part because Unity doesn't like dense objects.

I generally stick docking ports on them and send them up in multiple flights. :) As for storing things, you can just attach a bunch of hexcans to the components; I couldn't put them all in one part because Unity doesn't like dense objects.

So basically these, already, wonky and difficult-to-stabilize parts HAVE to have wheels and the structural scaffolding to support said wheels on them, in order to connect together?

KAS is another good way of doing this. Docking ports give a good solid connection however. But if you build like me (pure functional craziness) then sometimes a clamp-o-tron is out of the question. Also note that you can surface attach to the non-animated parts of the LP.

also..

@Skykooler....sorry about all the drool on the new Launchpad model in your dev thread....that's my bad, ill wipe up =P

Edited by KhaosCorp

So basically these, already, wonky and difficult-to-stabilize parts HAVE to have wheels and the structural scaffolding to support said wheels on them, in order to connect together?

No; you can land and dock them with RCS alone on Minmus or Gilly. Keep in mind that these are not the final parts. I am working on a new, much better launchpad, among others.

No; you can land and dock them with RCS alone on Minmus or Gilly. Keep in mind that these are not the final parts. I am working on a new, much better launchpad, among others.

I'm waiting the new pretty parts to start To use this mod. :)

OMG. :)