[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

I'm not sure how your parts are setup, but its a fairly basic process.

1) Mine ore (use augur/other drill and ore tank or w/e holds ORE).

2) Convert the ore into metal (again depending on your parts, but look for 'Activate Metal Conversion' to know where this is.

3) Convert metal into rocketparts - same as above, but with RocketParts conversion.

I'm not really sure what parts the latest release includes, but EL has the basic process above regardless. Personally, I use spherical tanks for converter/storage parts, so I just have a row of big circle tanks in this order: Ore Storage, Ore-metal Converter, Metal-rocketpart converter, and finally rocketparts storage tanks. Then I feed ore in one end, it gradually fills up the rocketparts tank.

Good luck!

(P.S. You should also make sure to route fuel directly to your launchpad using fuel lines or stack fuel next to it. While Ore/kethane/rocketparts/RCS fuel can all be transferred to anywhere on your ship - rocketfuel requires a direct connection to the launchpad to be utilized.)

Edited by Krisism

Make this work in space and add a config file so that you don't require mining crap!

Try reading a bit before you post.....

There is good reason why this does not work in space (also other mods for that).

Skykooler has already stated that debug mode will be back in next version.

"building launchpads from launchpads" (sorry' date=' thought I quoted the post a few posts up that refers to this, but I didnt)

I second this. Wont let me so far.

Also, any way crew manifest can work with EPL? just in the interests of realism, I dont really like spawning kerbals on other planets, I'd rather build my ships on a foreign planet, and then send only a few larger passanger ships to populate from Kerbin (less big trips). I would like to at least open crew manifest and remove spawned Kerbal from, say, Duna or wherever.[/quote']

I'm working on fixing the kerbal spawning issue; currently the Kerbals seem to be resisting my attempts to remove them.

Make this work in space and add a config file so that you don't require mining crap!

No.

To elaborate, that is not the purpose of this mod. If you want to build ships in space, use Orbital Construction. I'm not going to add a "rocketpart generator" or something, but the next version will reenable debug mode which should allow you to at least turn off the requirement.

Once again I find myself saying, if you don't want the resource cost but want to spawn stuff in orbit then why not just use Hyperedit? I specifically use this mod and OC because I want to earn the ability to spawn each ship by paying a resource cost, without this cost then it's just too cheaty for my liking.

I have currently ceased all development on EL itself - I am working on a new framework for mods. Once this is at a decent stage, I will merge EL and OC into that.

Interfect has recently expressed a desire to merge OC into EL, so either I will merge into skykooler's branch or create my own.

I have currently ceased all development on EL itself - I am working on a new framework for mods. Once this is at a decent stage, I will merge EL and OC into that.

Interfect has recently expressed a desire to merge OC into EL, so either I will merge into skykooler's branch or create my own.

Awesome! Let us know when you want some feedback :D

That is awesome, personally I believe the two mods belong together so to hear this is in the works brings a smile to my face, best of luck with the new framework :D

Hey, is there anyway possible to get the total weight of RocketParts containers when they are 100% filled? I'm having trouble trying to find the right capsule that my rover's wheels won't break due to the extreme weight, yet will hold a lot of RocketParts.

Hey, is there anyway possible to get the total weight of RocketParts containers when they are 100% filled? I'm having trouble trying to find the right capsule that my rover's wheels won't break due to the extreme weight, yet will hold a lot of RocketParts.

Do you know what your resource 'density' is for RocketParts? I think default was 1, which means 1 ton per unit. In that case, it's really easy math - just add your capacity up so that you know how much it will add on to your weight. Then just add to the dry mass.

Yeah, it took me a long while to get the right configuration to get the launchpad... and the smelter for that matter, up to the Mun. Finally managed it, two rovers, two landers. I originally tried to put too much on one lander. One word. Try to minimize the height of your over all rocket and number of vertical stages. With such mass and wide area it seems to wobble more than usual. With the smelter in one configuration I had as soon as you tried to angle over at 10,000m the craft would bend, then the rockets at the bottom were no longer pointed through the center of mass... and it kept on tilting over and no amount of stabilizer fins, SAS or extra drone bodies would correct it. I eventually cut a vertical stage out and spread the rockets more sideways and got it up... eventually. Landing it was a git too. Had to cancel Mechjeb and land it manually as Mechjeb tended to wobble in an ever widening circle just before touchdown!

I'm working on fixing the kerbal spawning issue; currently the Kerbals seem to be resisting my attempts to remove them.

No.

To elaborate, that is not the purpose of this mod. If you want to build ships in space, use Orbital Construction. I'm not going to add a "rocketpart generator" or something, but the next version will reenable debug mode which should allow you to at least turn off the requirement.

totally think that a a shuttlebay type part would be ok if (and only if) you carry some full rocket part canisters, either launched from kerbin or from a remote mining base. the only fundamental difference is that the shuttle bay is on a ship as opposed to part of a surface base. you still would need to do all the mining and processing you do now, you are just launching from a mother ship instead of some dirtball. this would be totally awesome for a deep space missions. spare parts would be carried on board and could be built into whatever the mission requires. like if you destroy you refueling lander or your rover and need a replacement (and cant bother sending for a new one from kerbin), you can just build a substitute from your supply of rocket parts. certainly dont want zomg free parts!

another idea would be ship recycling. where you can gather space debris into a recycler and generate new rocket parts (or perhaps scrap metal that can be converted to parts with some penalty). would definitely inspire more salvage operations. though perhaps a little bit out of the mod's scope. oc is nice and all, but i wish it integrated with kethane like your mod does.

Edited by Nuke

another idea would be ship recycling. where you can gather space debris into a recycler and generate new rocket parts (or perhaps scrap metal that can be converted to parts with some penalty). would definitely inspire more salvage operations. though perhaps a little bit out of the mod's scope. oc is nice and all, but i wish it integrated with kethane like your mod does.

Recycling - it's a good idea!

After a day or so of trying to get these parts on Mun/Minmus in a legit way, I can finally say I've done it - some tips for all:

The smelter indeed will not attach with the "top" node, only the sides. This was the most troublesome part to get up and down safely - I got it to work by getting a rocket take it straight into orbit and on to wherever, then have two smaller engines at either end of the smelter, the opposite side of the top node, pointing out the same way - I used Bobcat's radial aerospikes as they fit nicely, though are a little O/P. Put a second probe core on the "top" node which is now working (can't be primary attach point), orienting it properly so it isn't upside down or rotated incorrectly - took a few test launches to figure that out. Protip: rotate (Q/E) the smelter to begin with until its top node is facing you if looking out to the SpacePort launchpad, then with the Probe core press W once to match it up perfectly. Took me 2 hours!

Land it sideways - disconnect rocket from smelter, right-click the top probe and "control from here" and it will descend "sideways" with or without mechjeb autoland.

Along with all that, you have to balance it both ways, for launching and sideways landing, so have extra stuff on the top with the probe. Protip 2: turn the whole ship sideways in VAB like you would be using it when landed - disconnect the rocket to see weight distribution of what you are going to try and land. My end result is about 25 tons to land, probably overkill.

It's a pain, but I've done it - I can put up the craft files on my dropbox and list of required mods if anyone wants them. My set of a Smelter, Launchpad and Miner rover can get to Minmus and Mun (I'm so happy!), and can then build Kethane miners/tanks parts to make up a full land base.

Regardless of all that, I must say thankyou to skykooler and all involved for this wondrous addition to our kerbal adventuring!

I used the sphericals with the addition of the code from the runway of the EL. But, if you'd rather stick with stock EL, you would be better off with using the runway over the launchpad, since the runway has a built in auger, smelter, and assembly, as well as scanner and map display. Personally, I'd think that most from the ground portable fabrication/launch facilities would have all of this built into the launchpad anyways, without the need to launch all these odd shaped and hard to land modules.