What happened when you first landed on the Mun?

rhj91

After a 2km face slide across the Munar regolith. :D

I had Bob jetpacking over the surface of the mun once, since walking is a bit slow. Only he grazed the ground, which faceplanted him, and left him in the 'kerbal-has-fallen-over' state so i was forced to let him glide out due to friction over a few minutes time :P.

My first Munar landing went great - i made the burn no problem, nice orbit, great touchdown. He didn't have enough fuel left to return to Kerbin though. I tried lifting myself into Munar orbit at least, nly somewhere in lifting off again i realised i wouldn't even have enough fuel to actually get back into Munar orbit. I braked as much as i could, but i ran out of fuel and small as my craft was, my RCS system couldn't overcome gravity, so i had to make Bob bail out of the capsule. Only i hit F once outside in my panick rather than space, making him climb back in. He managed to get back out, but before he could thrust away the ship hit the ground and blew up, sending Bob on a long suborbital trajectory in the same state i was talking about above - he had 'hit the surface' so untill he pushed himself back up he couldn't use his jetpack. So he was left helpless in the sub-orbit. I rushed Jeb out of orbit around Kerbin ASAP and sent him on a rescue mission. Only with the added weight of the second capsule (didn't have access to anything bigger than a 1-man capsule), even with added fuel, i didn't manage to get into position to save him, and he crashed into the Mun in a puff of smoke :-(.

My second time, i ran out of fuel too, but this time i was already in a (rather high) Kerbin orbit, so Lembur used his monopropellant tank to get back home.

I landed on the dark side of the Mun. I brought solar but no lights! There was a little light for the ladder, but other than that it was totally dark, i took a screenshot, but you couldn't see anything on it.

When I landed on Minmus, I was about to land on one of the 80 degree slopes, but luckily I had some horizontal velocity left. I did mini-burns until I was about to land on top of the hill, but went for a landing. The horizontal velocity broke my landing legs and snapped off the engine. I managed to decouple the fuel tank, and flip the probe(no stranded kerbal!:D) back up. I switched to the engine, which was rolling downhill like a wheel/rover. Then it won a Nobel prize for discovering terrain scatters are holograms and then blew up.

The first time was actually a competition between myself and 2 friends. Using Skype, we were able to chat during the whole process. I hadn't ever been able to do it previously. This was before I knew about any of the mods availibile.

It was neck and neck most of the way, simply because all of us had multiple catastrophic failures. Finally, I was able to land.

I jumped out of my chair and cheered. And then, miraculously, I was able to lift off and return to Kerbin. Only to have my parachute rip my return vessel in half, killing 2 Kerman and safely landing an empty nosecone in the ocean. d'oh!

In the Demo:

#1 Mun Landing attempt: Philly Kerman is killed when I didn't kill enough lateral vector.

Redesign, to lighten lander and enable a Munwalk.

#2 Edly Kerman stranded when the engine made contact with the Mun, despite the struts being fully deployed.

#3 Edly Kerman Killed when I lost control of the rocket completely on Munar approach. Noticed then that in the redesign, I'd placed the ASAS below the decoupler, and #2 and 3 had no stabilization. redesign.

#4 Lusy Kerman tipped over on the mun, but otherwise landed intact. During EVA to inspect damage, she "fell over" and became unresponsive.

#5 Lusy Kerman landed and recovered successfully to Kerbin. ...I forgot to EVA, though. :(

...then I bought the game, lost my rocket designs, and haven't been back yet. Been trying to get a Space Station in orbit.

Lets see.. this is a while back since I don't play very often, but the very first attempt probably was a crash.

I do know the first survived attempt though. I came down nice and slow, and both landed on a slight slope with a tall lander, as well as ended up having a bit of drift going, sooo... I kinda landed, only horizontally after it toppled. This happened to the second lander as well - both blew up in my attempt to get back airborne, but the second one at least got a few km up rather than exploding on the ground, except then it ran out of fuel.

With the third one, recently, I rebuilt from scratch, and not only did it have enough fuel for a Mun and back trip, but the same design took me to Minmus not long after, and back. The Minmus landing almost was a disaster because the lander bounced and toppled, but I recovered it after skidding a few feet over the surface of Minmus.

My first landing attempt failed terribly I smacked the surface going orbital velocity(didn't pull of time warp fast enough) and the second ended in me running out of fuel and smacking into the surface again at 50 or so m/s. I quit trying until landing legs where added and after maybe 5 more tries I did it and just cheered all while listening to pink floyd's Dark side of the Moon. Then I returned to kerbin because there was nothing else you could do in 0.14.

EDIT: I went back and I was able to dig it up but I think I didn't return from this one. I'm pretty sure it fell down the hill and just got destroyed.

QDuDLJd.png

Edited by GOOMH

first time was a few minutes ago(success!), though my rocket had a design flaw I overlooked and the landing struts didn't extend down past the nuclear engine, when I hit the ground the engine snapped off and the rest of it landed strait up xD, best feeling ever and with no way of going home I named it a base, all of dem feels

First time I landed on the Mun, just nothing happened. I realized that landing there again would be... well like in the real world: for what? I hope the devs will add some purposes to land there again ;-)

you could go monolith hunting, or try sending your kerbal a rover to drive

28341461373B49D738A7855C9B93974ECFFD75B9

(This is all stock FYI.)

First the crew changed its pants. They had to change landing targets mid decent Apollo 11 style. Then cancel lateral movement... then land.

After that? Everyone got out, smiled, and planted a flag. Ludford's first words on the Mun were relayed to KSC by Jeb at Kerbal Station One: "i the end it is not the Mun we conqured, but ourselves." The crew spent the next 5 minutes testing the "Every kerbal can jump like M Jordan on the Mun!" and "Munwalk has more vertical travel in stride than as theorized my M Jackson." theories. After rigorous testing Misson Control decided enough data was collected and called for clean up of the EVA. With the crew in the lander they left the Mun and made good their return to Kerbin.

Although I wouldn't call it a landing, the first time I had contact with the Mun, I had one of those 'famous last words' moments; at about 6000m ASL I looked at the surface and briefly thought, 'Hmm, the grounds coming up kinda fast.' Followed shortly thereafter by, 'Nah...' Which was also followed by some awfully expensive fireworks. Now, the first time I actually landed on the Mun, Jeb and Bill jumped around a bit, and Bill ended up bouncing off one of the 'Gigantor' solar panels, breaking it, something that accidentally happened on the two following missions. Now it's tradition, one of the Kerbals that lands has to break one off to honor those first brave pioneers...

8point8km_zps5ce1d0d8.jpg

My first *successful* landing, done to rescue the poor soul at the indicator in the background. Landed 8.8km away. Breathed a sigh of relief, switched missions, only to find my Kerbanite at the stranded mission had meanwhile died. :<

Due to an errr design oversight I had a bit of an accident..... Luckily Jeb seems to have an ability to reincarnate so he was able to shortly after land an improved design on the Mun

Edited by Kerolyov

The first time was when the Mun was first introduced in the game, I went too fast and smashed myself leaving just the command pod intact. I actually landed on the second time and left the ship there until a new version of the game came out and restarted the save file.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.