[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Making it one part isn't going to be possible which is why this is in two pieces. Free spinning is just a matter of changing parameters like the free spinning docking washer.

why exactly did one part work with the docking washers but not with this? and thank you for your prompt responses

There is nothing that can be done to make the joints more rigid. Blame that on unity and it's joint system.

Sorry if you already responded to this - I posted this a long while back, and it's a bit of a crazy idea. Don't know enough about how the game works to know if this is even possible, but: Don't joints get stronger the higher the mass of the parts? If that's true, then secondly, is it possible to create a resource that has negative mass? If both of those are true, would it THEN be possible to create IR parts that weigh 100,000 tons, but contain 99,999 of a resource with negative mass so that the overall mass you add to your vessel is only 1 ton? Would this somehow work through dark magic to fool the engine into treating the part as having an incredibly rigid joint without making the vessel actually weigh 100,000 tons?

Also, any thoughts on the TweakScale issue - specifically, the reason why IR parts can't be scaled up when new definitions (with appropriate values for part extension, mass, whatever) are written?

Sorry if you already responded to this - I posted this a long while back, and it's a bit of a crazy idea. Don't know enough about how the game works to know if this is even possible, but: Don't joints get stronger the higher the mass of the parts? If that's true, then secondly, is it possible to create a resource that has negative mass? If both of those are true, would it THEN be possible to create IR parts that weigh 100,000 tons, but contain 99,999 of a resource with negative mass so that the overall mass you add to your vessel is only 1 ton? Would this somehow work through dark magic to fool the engine into treating the part as having an incredibly rigid joint without making the vessel actually weigh 100,000 tons?

Also, any thoughts on the TweakScale issue - specifically, the reason why IR parts can't be scaled up when new definitions (with appropriate values for part extension, mass, whatever) are written?

I'm too busy to chase wild ideas right now. Maybe when I have free time I'll give it a shot but something tells me that there's a kraken waiting if you start monkeying with negative masses.

As for tweakscale, I don't know. Once 0.90 is released I'll look at it.

So did we get the new skins and Foldatrons... or are we gonna have to add that in, yet again?!

Add it in yet again. ZodiusInfuser isn't finished with them and until then, they will remain separate.

I have been away for a while - is there any kOS integration yet? Or is that up to erendrake and Steven now?

Up to them but a while back I exposed the trans and rot values so that kos can utilize them.

Yes you can control IR from kOS now (although kOS is in a state of flux at the moment because KSP 0.90 broke some stuff about how autopiloting works. KSP's 0.90 changes are VERY much in the same areas that kOS has its fingers in, so don't expect kOS to be 0.90 compatible for a while yet. We kOS devs aren't part of the experimentals group so we only just got our first chance to be aware of the changes yesterday.)

A simple dumb example of manipulating an IR part from a kOS script:

// Assuming THEPART is a part that is an infernal robotics part, move that
// part in the "+" direction for 1 second, then stop moving:
SET robotModule TO THEPART:GETMODULE("MUMECHTOGGLE").
robotModule:DOACTION("MOVE +", true).
WAIT 1.
robotModule:DOACTION("MOVE +", false).

More full descriptions can be found here (for now - the docs are about to move to a new location) :

http://ksp-kos.github.io/KOS_DOC/summary_topics/ship_parts_and_modules/index.html

Thanks for the update Sirkut, not started 0.90 yet so I can't be much help with testing but I just wanted to ask about something on the Curse page

This line is very confusing

"Please do a clean install of Infernal Robotics. IR_TweakScale is no longer needed so it needs to be deleted. You will also have to install TweakScale in order for the scaling to work. You can download TweakScale from: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220549-tweakscale/files"

Why do you say Tweakscale is no longer needed then in the same line say that people need to install tweakscale for it to work?

EDIT - nevermind, I just figured out you were talking about an old file that must have been packaged with IR at one time.

it's still kind of confusing though, you may want to think about making it clearer for stupid people like me.

Edited by MartGonzo

Yes you can control IR from kOS now (although kOS is in a state of flux at the moment because KSP 0.90 broke some stuff about how autopiloting works. [...]

A simple dumb example of manipulating an IR part from a kOS script:

[...]

Cheers! I can't thank you guys enough for the amazing work you do :)

Just a note, and it's not specific to this add-on: Why is there no description of exactly what this mod does in the OP? It starts out with notes on upgrading, installation, etc., but not "this is what this does". Of course, it's relatively simple to discover that, but it's annoying.

(I'm simply going through the 0.90 compatibility list and getting an idea of what kind of add-ons are available).

Just a note, and it's not specific to this add-on: Why is there no description of exactly what this mod does in the OP? It starts out with notes on upgrading, installation, etc., but not "this is what this does". Of course, it's relatively simple to discover that, but it's annoying.

(I'm simply going through the 0.90 compatibility list and getting an idea of what kind of add-ons are available).

I figured the "making things move" would be sufficient. Honestly I edited a lot out of the page when 0.25!was released to clean it up. Come to think of it I don't think I ever had a description. I'll get to it eventually but it's low on my list. I had 40,000 downloads(on curse) for 0.19.2 before 0.90 KSP was released. I think people get the idea.

Edited by sirkut

Increasing the mass does indeed strengthen the joints, but I've tried your suggestion it just cancels out the mass of the part and the wobble returns. I also tried adding "PhysicsSignificance = 1" to the cfg file but that causes the part not to work at all.

There must be a way to make the part have high mass but maybe ignore gravity?