[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

I don't understand your warning about the Gantry crane, could you clarify / elaborate a bit please?

The gantry has 5 connection points outside of the one that is the platform. You can only pick ONE to be your fixed structure point. If you connect more than one it will move as if it is floating.

watch this video

In the video my initial fixed point is the lander can to the gantry... then I start putting i-beams on two other connections... watch what happens when you start moving. I can't explain it any clearer than what the video shows.

I think you missed the point. Only one point can be your fixed point. The next point, the part that moves should ONLY be attached to the platform that is in the center (it's the almost squareish platform).

ok, thanks for the video. I'm playing around with it still, but it's a little counter-intuitive. When people read "gantry crane" they are going to think about the big gantry's you see in pictures and discovery channel specials putting aircraft carriers together. Those are fixed at two points with the center moving back and forth. When I first saw the part that was my initial reaction and I put a KAS winch in the center and got the "float" effect you show in the video.

Maybe if you could show some examples of the parts being used, or maybe if some fans would share a few craft files that would increase understanding?

ok, thanks for the video. I'm playing around with it still, but it's a little counter-intuitive. When people read "gantry crane" they are going to think about the big gantry's you see in pictures and discovery channel specials putting aircraft carriers together. Those are fixed at two points with the center moving back and forth. When I first saw the part that was my initial reaction and I put a KAS winch in the center and got the "float" effect you show in the video.

Maybe if you could show some examples of the parts being used, or maybe if some fans would share a few craft files that would increase understanding?

What, an overhead gantry like this?

_dbb4d96c92e54a7f8a268ae7eeb2bfaa

_a6f39c66db6a4b75b356fd5c14adff9f

Knocked this up in a few minutes. I had to use extra parts and flip the outer rails around, but it's certainly possible :D .craft file here.

@sirkut. Thinking about this. Is it perhaps possible to create a gantry version where the platform is the fixed mesh and the rail is floating, to handle situations like this? Have both as an option until the issues get fixed (if ever).

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Knocked this up in a few minutes. I had to use extra parts and flip the outer rails around, but it's certainly possible :D .craft file here.

@sirkut. Thinking about this. Is it perhaps possible to create a gantry version where the platform is the fixed mesh and the rail is floating, to handle situations like this? Have both as an option until the issues get fixed (if ever).

Sure if it pleases everyone.

Sure if it pleases everyone.

It would certainly make my 4 way balance test look more realistic - if realistic is a word I can use in this context...

4WayBalanceTest.jpg

at the moment it does fly but I'm hesitant to release it as having fuel tanks floating in mid air just looks wrong, and there may be another problem at my end.

@sirkut

In my Auto Balance thread you mentioned the possibility of adding empty gameobjects to the adjustable rails. (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/47780-PLUGIN-0-21-x-Automatic-Centre-of-Mass-Tracking-0-01?p=619414&viewfull=1#post619414)

Is this something I can do?

Is this something you are willing to do? (I have no idea if there are any negative ramifications)

Would it be worthwhile considering this addition for the gantries and indeed all parts with linear motions?

I have no idea how much work any of this would be, or even if I can work out how to use it, so forgive me if I'm asking you to sacrifice too much of your already short game playing time.

Thanks for the comments on my video! It was a lot of fun to make and I was also pretty amazed that the vehicle actually moved faster through the water with the 'paddles' deployed. I'll be making some more videos of my experiments shortly.

It would certainly make my 4 way balance test look more realistic - if realistic is a word I can use in this context...

4WayBalanceTest.jpg

at the moment it does fly but I'm hesitant to release it as having fuel tanks floating in mid air just looks wrong, and there may be another problem at my end.

@sirkut

In my Auto Balance thread you mentioned the possibility of adding empty gameobjects to the adjustable rails. (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/47780-PLUGIN-0-21-x-Automatic-Centre-of-Mass-Tracking-0-01?p=619414&viewfull=1#post619414)

Is this something I can do?

Is this something you are willing to do? (I have no idea if there are any negative ramifications)

Would it be worthwhile considering this addition for the gantries and indeed all parts with linear motions?

I have no idea how much work any of this would be, or even if I can work out how to use it, so forgive me if I'm asking you to sacrifice too much of your already short game playing time.

It's something I would have to do within unity. When I finally get some sleep I will see about adding those empty gameobjects and PM you a link to a modified version to test. If it works that is.

I can published a swapped version later and let you mess with it.

Cool! I'll be eager to see what options it gives :D.

Actually if you want to test it out, copy the cfg and paste it below the original and make just one change. Look at fixedMesh. Instead of Base change it to Platform. Give it a unique name as usual and give it a whirl.

It's something I would have to do within unity. When I finally get some sleep I will see about adding those empty gameobjects and PM you a link to a modified version to test. If it works that is.

Many thanks :)

And sweet dreams once you get them.

Actually if you want to test it out, copy the cfg and paste it below the original and make just one change. Look at fixedMesh. Instead of Base change it to Platform. Give it a unique name as usual and give it a whirl.

Well, having a reversed version with the platform as the fixed mesh certainly simplifies matters thats for sure :D.

I haven't had time to test if theres any knock on effects of this, but it looks promising.