EVE Online

LaydeeDem

The best way I've found of making money is market trends. When something is cheap, buy it. When something's valuable, sell it. It's slow at first, but you can make tremendous money from it. Another option is to buy in highsec and sell in null. With a jump freighter, it's even rather safe.

I played it for the first time yesterday.got lost during the tutorial turns out I was over 7 stargates away in a pod,I have no idea what I`m doing:l
My advice as an experienced player is to finish the tutorial first, run a mission or two, and then join the player corporation "EVE University". They're a friendly bunch, and their primary purpose is to help new players learn the game. They can give you advice for pretty much every activity that comes up in the game, and help you figure out which ship you should be flying and how too.

It just dawned on me that I quit EVE over 5 years ago. Was so into it that it was more job than game, so demanding of time when you are in an active corp/alliance. Thats what killed it for me, the time sink.

Before our little corp got gobbled up I had a blast as a new player. I was a horrible person, a two-bit pirate who made a living stealing ore all day in high sec systems as well as using newb ganking to bait fancy pants players in faction gear laden t2 ships to white knight for the poor darlings and then run a Concord exploit to blast them into dust and collect their fancy stuff. Well, till the little banning episode anyway. LOL After we joined the big alliance it was like trading in my puffy shirt and eye patch for a blue shirt and dockers...everything was so rigid, well run and rules, rules, rules.

I resist the return to EVE emails, I know returning would just destroy my real world life again. If I do ever go back it will be to be a low level scumbag and pay no attention to the larger political struggles and drama.

From my perspective its a great game if you have a few friends and make your own way and fun. Once you get into a huge alliance with an agenda and schedules to keep its not my cup of tea.

But if you are on the fence please give it a try, there is nothing else like it just be warned, the learning curve is brick wall shaped and its where the dark hearts of otherwise good people venture off to take in the night air.

My advice as an experienced player is to finish the tutorial first, run a mission or two, and then join the player corporation "EVE University". They're a friendly bunch, and their primary purpose is to help new players learn the game. They can give you advice for pretty much every activity that comes up in the game, and help you figure out which ship you should be flying and how too.

thanks for the advice I just found out a couple other pods were killed while I was faffing about:P

The who? Sorry never heard of them!
Goonswarm, a branch of Something Awful that control a large section of nullsec space. I find them rather agreeable most of the time, but as a fresh player you should be careful around them. They have a tendency to shoot everyone who's not one of them or an affiliate of theirs.

Goonswarm, a branch of Something Awful that control a large section of nullsec space. I find them rather agreeable most of the time, but as a fresh player you should be careful around them. They have a tendency to shoot everyone who's not one of them or an affiliate of theirs.

Haha, don't worry I know who they are =P

• 6 months later...

Started playing EVE in 2004...and I still have 2 characters. Best...game...EVER!!

No other game kept me going for so long, not even close. Find a good corp and it's awesome. Also, learn how to TRADE in that game and all your money problems are solved. You can even pay for your monthly subscription with in-game money. Once you know how to (station) trade, it's super easy to make money. I think I spend a grand total of 1-2hrs per month making ISK...which pays for my 2 subscriptions and more ships than I can possibly lose.

Still talking about EVE political events from 2006 with other players, it's almost like real life politics.

You can be a trader, a pirate, a normal grunt, a miner, someone who uses probes to find hidden spots, a PVE'er...and my favorite, a "pirate-hunting trader". Nowadays I mostly play solo because I can't put in an insane amount of hours anymore, but I still team up with a few old mates (who are also mostly veterans from before 2005).

Imo the MMORPG with the best PVP. I like that it's harsh and that you can really lose stuff. You don't just respawn like in kiddie-WoW for example.

PS: In case there's other oldtimers around, I was in Celestial Horizon (CLS) during the Xetic days...and then joined Outbreak after in-game politics got "too real". In a solo corp now, but I tend to team up with people from various corps/alliances. We have some funny gangs going sometimes, half of us would be enemies if we followed our alliance/corp orders. Fun to run a gang of mixed blues and reds...always confuses targets when we jump into a system :)

Edited by John Crichton

The best way I've found of making money is market trends. When something is cheap, buy it. When something's valuable, sell it. It's slow at first, but you can make tremendous money from it. Another option is to buy in highsec and sell in null. With a jump freighter, it's even rather safe.

This x1000!

Compounding is awesome. Yes, it's a slow start, but before you know it, you're making billions every month with very little work. Just have a trading alt or two sit in Jita and/or Rens/Amarr.

I was just about to bump this. :D

Bet all those titan pilots who were recently blown up are glad to have their lives back.

Titan's are nothing compared to the timesink that was shipping freighters from Empire to Feythabolis using nothing but regular gates.

Remember doing 2-3 tours in a single night when I was still at uni...1hr sleep. Took forever. I was always part of the protection crew and every single one of us always hoped for an attack, it was that boring. The freighter pilots didn't share our feeling :sticktongue:

• 2 months later...

EVE got a major graphics overhaul in 2007, and several smaller ones in 2009, 2010, 11, 12 and 13. And continues to recieve more, which is why it uses more and more ressources.

I've first played EVE in 2003 when it came out, and am actively playing it since 2008. I'm taking a break atm, but will resume with the next addon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.