EVE Online

LaydeeDem

I played for about two years, got heavily into PVP during the last nine months, then suffered a corp breakup and my child getting old enough to be mobile, so called it quits. It is one of the most fun games out there but you really need some friends, even just one or two. Don't fall into the PVE trap; EVE is a PVP game at its core (it is fundamentally a wartime economy, if **** doesn't blow up the economy doesn't move)

I tried so hard to enjoy it, I really did but it was just not the sort of game I was hoping for. It is also one of those games that is so established, new players have little to no hope of becoming powerful.

I want the game Homeworld in a multiplayer environment, nothing more, nothing less.

new players have little to no hope of becoming powerful.

This is not at all true. You need to be competitive and be willing to make friends. A few newbies with frigates can take on targets many times their size and win. Quite recently there was (and still is) a corp called Brave Newbies that proves your statement quite wrong.

Of course, if you want to play EVE in single-player mode you're going to have a hard time, but then, why aren't you playing X3?

The ship permadeath thing turned me off before I got it. Yeah theres ship insurance, and clones, but all in all if you die you are going to lose days, weeks, even months of work depending how far up you are.

Loss is an important part of the game. Don't fly what you cannot afford to lose.

looked at it, after being blasted out of space in the supposedly safe zones 10 times or more within minutes of leaving the station to get some practice flying my newbie ship I gave up.

The only "safe zone" in Eve is docked to a station.

Edited by Nutt007

Don't fall into the PVE trap; EVE is a PVP game at its core (it is fundamentally a wartime economy, if **** doesn't blow up the economy doesn't move)

Although alot more Ships are lost during PvP, there are many that also get lost during PvE, whether they are Agent Missions, Sleeper Sites, Incursions, DED Mission Sites, Ratting, Can Flipping, Salvaging and even Ninja Salvaging ect. Large Null-Sec Alliances will generally just do their own Production, aswell as Large High-Sec Alliances. The people who mainly buy Ships from High-Sec when it involves PvP, are the Pirates, and Low-Sec Roamers. Saying PvE is a "trap" is abit ignorant seeing though Eve is a game where you be what you want, when you want, and how you want. To be honest, if there were no PvE'ers, the Eve Community would be half of what it is today.

Although alot more Ships are lost during PvP, there are many that also get lost during PvE, whether they are Agent Missions, Sleeper Sites, Incursions, DED Mission Sites, Ratting, Can Flipping, Salvaging and even Ninja Salvaging ect. Large Null-Sec Alliances will generally just do their own Production, aswell as Large High-Sec Alliances. The people who mainly buy Ships from High-Sec when it involves PvP, are the Pirates, and Low-Sec Roamers. Saying PvE is a "trap" is abit ignorant seeing though Eve is a game where you be what you want, when you want, and how you want. To be honest, if there were no PvE'ers, the Eve Community would be half of what it is today.

Less, a lot of the griefers (and they're a large part of the population) would quit quickly because their easy targets are gone and they're now prey themselves for those actually skilled at pvp.

Less, a lot of the griefers (and they're a large part of the population) would quit quickly because their easy targets are gone and they're now prey themselves for those actually skilled at pvp.

Ahh true indeed! What will all those High-Sec War-Deccing Corps do when they are forced to PvP against people who actually know what they are doing. Oh how the tables would be turned!!!

It's nice to see some familiar faces from the EVE-O forums.

Saying PvE is a "trap" is abit ignorant seeing though Eve is a game where you be what you want, when you want, and how you want. To be honest, if there were no PvE'ers, the Eve Community would be half of what it is today.

If your objective within EVE is to shoot red plus signs all day by yourself watching wallet flashes, you're going to get bored of the game very quickly. EVE is about interaction between players and is competitive by nature. PVE is a means to PVP.

What will all those High-Sec War-Deccing Corps do when they are forced to PvP against people who actually know what they are doing

When we got in over our heads we fought hard and had a good time. We lost a wormhole tower to some carebear corps we were messing with, had some great fights. It's no fun trying to fight against people who won't fight back. You'd think if you bloodied someone's nose they'd punch back, but in EVE they're more likely to run home to mommy.

Also, war-decs have been nerfed so hard since I started playing; they have virtually no meaning and are incredibly easy to avoid.

If your objective within EVE is to shoot red plus signs all day by yourself watching wallet flashes, you're going to get bored of the game very quickly.

Many people enjoy Mission Running, if they choose to do it alone, that is there choice, but there is so much more to PvE, such as Invention, Manufacturing, Research, [cough] Mining [cough], nah I kid the Miners, they do a good job, but the majority of people who Mission do it with Friends. Everything in Eve is more enjoyable when in Fleets.
EVE is about interaction between players and is competitive by nature. PVE is a means to PVP.

Playing the Market and being successful at it, is a very tough Career to master. Although it can be tedious, you can make a fortune from it with ease if you do it correctly. Alot of Research is a constant requirement that needs to be put in to know what to sell, when to sell, and where to sell. Alot of people enjoy getting their Brain working through Numbers rather than Guns.

When we got in over our heads we fought hard and had a good time. We lost a wormhole tower to some carebear corps we were messing with, had some great fights. It's no fun trying to fight against people who won't fight back. You'd think if you bloodied someone's nose they'd punch back, but in EVE they're more likely to run home to mommy.

There are some enjoyable High-Sec Wardecs out there, and yeah they have been nerfed, but they are still alot of them around. The problem with High-Sec WarDec's, is not generally that the players don't want to fight, its mainly enforced by the CEO's of Corporations and Alliances that try and prevent it, which tends to lead to them losing Members from time to time. But there are tons of Eve players who will form a 5 - 6 Man Corp purely to War-Dec Noob Corporations purely for easy kills. They don't care about how much it costs, or how bored they will get.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but as I said before, saying that PvE is a trap, is Ignorant which is purely based off what you enjoy doing in Eve. Sure alot of it can be brain racking at times, but so can PvP, hell, most of the guys I know have left PvP because generally there just isn't that much excitment all the time, and the people who are still PvP'ing all have PvE Alts which they spend most their time in. I have 6 Accounts, and I generally do all of it [not Null Sec Alliance yet though, and have gone away from WH's], at the moment I enjoy alot of the Production side of it this past 7 Months, purely because I don't play Eve all that much anymore, and it's a good thing to do to hop on for a hour or 2 a day and still earn a fair amount of ISK to buy my PLEX for when ever I want to hop on.

but as I said before, saying that PvE is a trap, is Ignorant which is purely based off what you enjoy doing in Eve.

It is not at all ignorant. EVE is a competitive PVP game at its very core; the economy would grind to a hyper-inflated halt if things didn't explode. Pretty much everything you do in the game affects someone else. You think of PVE as a bunch of set activities, I think of it as a mindset. You cannot play EVE with a PVE mindset, that is why I say PVE is a trap.

I played it for a year before release and a couple of years after launch too... but I was becoming seriously addicted to it. I would wake in the morning and while I was having breakfast I would sort out my training and build queues, afterwards I would do mining, organise our guild and such and then do scouting etc. Evenings was combat etc... god... I lived in that universe and had FIVE full accounts. I still get emails asking me to come back but I needed to get out of the habit.

I did the same thing with Ultima Online. Multiple accounts etc... So I've made a promise to myself NO MORE MMORPGs... They are just an escapists addictive nightmare.

But yeah... Eve was fun when you play with a big crowd. We used to own Fountain back in the day.... at least I think it was Fountain. Been soooooo damned long. I remember the battles in Curse, the laugh we had when I had a bugged Mauler on the test server (I could one shot ANY ship... including the Dev's Titans that they brought in just to show off lol). I even nicked a couple of Titans on the test server. One got abandoned by one Dev who ejected because the health was low and I jumped in and warped out of there... That was the Gallente one. Then I got an Amarr one about a month later doing the same thing.

Edit: I still think I have a few battleships in one of the bases in Fountain. I used to collect them. I stupidly gave all my blueprints away though... yeah GAVE THEM away.

Edited by NeoMorph

the economy would grind to a hyper-inflated halt if things didn't explode.

These are Stats CCP Diagoras put together between December 2007 to November 2011 When the new Kill Report System was implemented for the Trinity Expansion. [Couldn't find any newer info, I know it's there, but I never check this stuff].

Number of Ships Lost:

Highsec: - PvP: 1,974,022 - PvE: 6,317,926

Low Sec: - PvP: 4,126,911 - PvE: 510,683

Null Sec: - PvP: 7,061,988 - PvE: 568,353

Wormhole: - PvP: 377,786 - PvE: 162,126

Total: PvP: 13,540,707 - PvE: 7,559,088

Now as I said before, Null Sec Alliances will do their Own Production, so if we take away their Ship Loss' then that would = 6,478,719 Ships Lost during PvP which is 1,080,369 less than PvE. By all means the Economy would not stop at all.

EVE is a competitive PVP game at its very core

Eve is a open Sandbox MMORPG at it's Core. You become what you want.

Pretty much everything you do in the game affects someone else.

Correct, even PvE'ers effect the outcome. If we didn't have our Manufacturers, Researchers and Trader's, we wouldn't have a economy. Eve would only involve Null Sec Alliances shooting it out, and there would be very little to do in the Game.

Edited by EmissionGeneration

Now as I said before, Null Sec Alliances will do their Own Production, so if we take away their Ship Loss'

You literally have no idea how the EVE economy actually works.

Eve is a open Sandbox MMORPG at it's Core. You become what you want.

Correct, even PvE'ers effect the outcome. If we didn't have our Manufacturers, Researchers and Trader's, we wouldn't have a economy. Eve would only involve Null Sec Alliances shooting it out, and there would be very little to do in the Game.

Way to ignore the salient point.

You literally have no idea how the EVE economy actually works.

I'm sure you can explain how Null Sec Alliances Mining their own Minerals and Producing their own ships has anything to do with the Economy.

Way to ignore the salient point.

Your saying PvE is a Trap and the game is based around PvP, which is not the case. ALOT of functions in the game revolve around PvE, and without that alot of PvP could not exist. Purely calling it a Trap because you prefer the PvP side of the game, is your own opinion, it is not a fact. It's like saying building Planes [not Space Planes] in KSP a Trap purely because it's about exploring the Solar System. By all means that doesn't mean people shouldn't have the ability to do it. TheWinterOwl does a full Lets Fly series that only focuses on Building Airplanes to fly around Kerbin and study. There is nothing wrong with that it's their Game and they have the ability to play it in a way they enjoy.

Maybe you'd like to reply with a more mature response explaining your facts and why you think everything revolves around PvP at it's "Core".

I'm sure you can explain how Null Sec Alliances Mining their own Minerals and Producing their own ships has anything to do with the Economy.

Let's take T2 gear as an example.

Tech (technitium) moons only exist in certain parts of null- and low-sec (the north of the map, IIRC). An alliance in northern null-sec can mine technitium from their moons but an alliance elsewhere can't. But somehow the enemies of the northern null-sec alliance end up with T2 gear that requires technitium (someone once figured out that nearly 75% of cost of the T2 components used in a Hulk mining vessel ultimately come from technitium). How do you think that happens? Null-sec doesn't exist in a vaccumn.

Ask anyone in a null-sec alliance how much production they do in null-sec, they'll tell you about the only thing they build out there is supercapitals (and probably capitals as well) which are things that simply can't be built in high-sec. Compound that with the fact that a snapshot taken roughly 1.5 years ago found that 75% of the active characters were in high-sec, and the fact that a single system in high-sec has more production slots than entire null-sec regions, not to mention that, if high-sec has anything, it has abundant markets, and you may being to see why null-sec alliances don't do their all their own production.

CCP is taking steps to eventually make null-sec fairly self-sufficient and they're re-balancing the moon material distribution, and moving around what gets used where in T2 production (the tech bottleneck is being dealt with), but even then they won't be self-sufficient from themselves and will still need to trade because the current goal is to make racial T2 ships require materials mined from moons in the racial null-sec regions.

To top it off, some null-sec alliances are famous for running entire T3 fleets. T3 ships are made from materials found in wormholes so they had to buy those ships/materials from somewhere, and they're certainly not getting all that volume of materials from their own members or they wouldn't be holding sov, they'd be a wormhole corp.

It is ridiculous to claim that a single null-sec alliance somehow manages to mine and build all of its ships and gear. I don't even think a major bloc-level coalition like the CFC (Goonswarm) can do that (and they're famous for market manipulation).

Your saying PvE is a Trap and the game is based around PvP, which is not the case. ALOT of functions in the game revolve around PvE, and without that alot of PvP could not exist.

Nearly everything you do affects some other player in some way. If you only run missions it follows that you must buy your gear and ammo from someone else, so you are injecting ISK into the economy. You'll use your LP to get gear to sell to other players. If you mine, someone uses your minerals to build things, and if you use them yourself, you will likely want to sell your goods. If you research, your datacores will be used by someone doing invention, and if you use them yourself you will have to get T2 materials from somewhere. If you do exploration, the items you find will be used in invention or the blueprints used in some other area of manufacture, which will eventually be sold on the market.

Because of this, and the fact that anyone can shoot anyone anywhere in the game (they just have to face the consequences in certain areas, see ganking), I say that the game is Player Versus Player at its core. You may not think of it in terms of PVP but your PVE activity fuels other corporation's war machines and depresses the value of other's goods, so it follows that it is a PVP activity.

This is why I say PVE is a trap. If you fall into the mindset of "I'm only doing PVE, I'm not bothering anyone", you ignore the fact that you are competing against other players in some manner (and that they can, and will, do something about it) and will eventually get burned. And if you don't get burned, you will likely get burned out from boredom.

Edited by regex

Let's take T2 gear as an example.

Tech (technitium) moons only exist in certain parts of null- and low-sec (the north of the map, IIRC). An alliance in northern null-sec can mine technitium from their moons but an alliance elsewhere can't. But somehow the enemies of the northern null-sec alliance end up with T2 gear that requires technitium (someone once figured out that nearly 75% of cost of the T2 components used in a Hulk mining vessel ultimately come from technitium). How do you think that happens? Null-sec doesn't exist in a vaccumn.

Nothing wrong with Null Sec having Resources to fight over. Add's abit more reason for Wars other than a bunch of angry people wanting to blow up ships. When Dust 514 gets fully implemented it will add to this reason.

Ask anyone in a null-sec alliance how much production they do in null-sec, they'll tell you about the only thing they build out there is supercapitals (and probably capitals as well) which are things that simply can't be built in high-sec. Compound that with the fact that a snapshot taken roughly 1.5 years ago found that 75% of the active characters were in high-sec, and the fact that a single system in high-sec has more production slots than entire null-sec regions, not to mention that, if high-sec has anything, it has abundant markets, and you may being to see why null-sec alliances don't do their all their own production.

Yes, the Number of Slots Null-Sec has, is rediculous. I know a fair amount of people in Large Alliances, and their way around this is High-Sec Alts which do the Mining and Production in NPC Stations. Yes there are some Alliances out there who buy Ships outright, but if a Large Alliance like TEST were to buy all of their T1 Ships from the Market instead of Mining and Producing in Highsec, it comes down to poor Management skills. As you know, Eve's Number 1 Function for the Game is Money, and having a Empire that burns through Ships very easily should be their Number 1 Goal to minimize as much as possible to increase their force.

To top it off, some null-sec alliances are famous for running entire T3 fleets. T3 ships are made from materials found in wormholes so they had to buy those ships/materials from somewhere, and they're certainly not getting all that volume of materials from their own members or they wouldn't be holding sov, they'd be a wormhole corp.

The Majority of Eve players have more than 1 Account, purely for benefiting on resources they haven't got access to, or just for a change or scenery. Who's to say they haven't got WH Corps built on the side? I know a few High-Sec Corps who do this for their own production to use, theres no reason why a Null Alliance wouldn't do the same.

Nearly everything you do affects some other player in some way. If you only run missions it follows that you must buy your gear and ammo from someone else, so you are injecting ISK into the economy. You'll use your LP to get gear to sell to other players. If you mine, someone uses your minerals to build things, and if you use them yourself, you will likely want to sell your goods. If you research, your datacores will be used by someone doing invention, and if you use them yourself you will have to get T2 materials from somewhere. If you do exploration, the items you find will be used in invention or the blueprints used in some other area of manufacture, which will eventually be sold on the market.

You've basically just agree'd with what I said earlier on with this Point about PvE also having equal importance.

In the end of the day, both sides support each other in one way or another, but they also support themselves.

Edited by EmissionGeneration

I would play again if I could get involved with a group/corporation. It seems every time I finally found my way into a humble little corporation, everyone in it disappeared within a few weeks and I became discouraged. I think I have like 13/14mil SP? It's been about a year now.

How hard is it to get and pay for subscription with ingame monies?

To start off, hard. Once you get your skills up abit and your knowledge for how the Game Mechanics work, it becomes relatively easy. To be safe, you'd probably spend 3 Months of Sub's until you should easily be able to pay with Game Money, but I've known others to get it done alot sooner when first starting.

To start off, hard. Once you get your skills up abit and your knowledge for how the Game Mechanics work, it becomes relatively easy. To be safe, you'd probably spend 3 Months of Sub's until you should easily be able to pay with Game Money, but I've known others to get it done alot sooner when first starting.

How do you accumulate money? You manufacture stuff and sell it? Does it involve- Que LAZZOR *3 | please wait -72000- seconds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.