[0.22] UbioZur Welding Ltd. 2.0 Dev STOPPED

UbioZur

Do you think it might be possible to expand the functionality of this mod to allow for 'welding' of parts during an EVA?

Currently, doing the welds before launch makes it all feel a bit too easy. But in cases where something like a space station is being built, I could see using this to weld parts together after they've been connected, in order to keep the lag down. Besides, EVA welding would be pretty cool anyhow.

Welding in EVA wouldn't work with the way parts are welded. First off, it has to create a part and then reload all part files. Database reloading can only be done in menu screens. Also, it's hard enough for the welder to place parts currently. Especially with mod parts that use different scale and positioning values than stock.

Acc, if you post a screenshot of the parts you're trying to weld, as represented by the .part code you posted, I can give you a (probably) working .part example.

edit: try this... You can only have one top and one bottom node. But, side nodes can point anywhere. Also, your original node "facing" directions were all 0. I set these to point up on top and down on the bottom, assuming the parts were oriented "up" / "rocket-wise" in the Vab

node_stack_topMk1FuselageStructural0 = 0,0.4828123,0.2112143,0,1,0,1
node_stack_sideMk1FuselageStructural0 = 0,-1.404688,0.2112143,0,-1,0,1
node_stack_sideMk1FuselageStructural1 = 1.639177E-07,1.392188,-0.2112143,0,1,0,1
node_stack_bottomMk1FuselageStructural1 = -1.661033E-07,-0.4953123,-0.2112143,0,-1,0,1

Edited by mrBlaQ

One of the bugs I encountered was if I saved a part. It won't do nothing. The game will kinda "freeze" but not really freeze. I can't move my mouse, click anything or do anything. I only could open the log. And there were lots of errors. But it has 1/2 chance of it happening. So I had to restart my game, losing my progress.

Ya it takes awhile to load the parts. The more mods you have installed the longer it takes.

Ill give you a hint. When I was testing this build of welder I used just vanilla parts.. I hardly noticed any slowdown. Adding just a few more mods, Aies and a few dozen smaller ones, started to take maybe 10 seconds to 15 seconds... Just give it time.

Acc, while that is a thing that can be done with the game, that method would not give you the results that UbiooZur's welder does. Welder creates a single rigid body where KAS parts would still be subject to their individual physics and joint stresses.

Edited by mrBlaQ

I'm running malkuth's .23 release, and it seems to work, almost... Following dropping a part onto the Weld it button, the dialog box pops up notifying me that the part has been saved. I click ok, it locks for a sec while the DB updates, and then I can keep building. Except every single part is locked, requiring a purchase in R&D. I can exit the VAB and reenter and the parts are unlocked again, but my welded part does not appear anywhere.

Also running malkuth's .23 release. I used it to weld a large (~125 parts) structural piece made exclusively from B9 structural panels. In the welded part all the individual panels are rotated to be normal to the plane of each original panel. After some searching I have been unable to determine what is going on. Any ideas?

I'd love to be able to use this mod but it's so buggy its unusable.

about half the time I try to weld parts together the game freezes when I click 'weld it', the attachment nodes don't work (I can get one to work by moving it to the bottom of the list in the .cfg file), it enduces phantom VAB glitches, makes KSP grey out the save or load or vessel name buttons, and others.

(btw I'm using B9, quantum struts, FAR, proc. fairings, proc. wings, and ARM (0.23.5), and I don't get these issues when not using the welder/welded parts)

about half the time I try to weld parts together the game freezes when I click 'weld it', the attachment nodes don't work (I can get one to work by moving it to the bottom of the list in the .cfg file), it enduces phantom VAB glitches, makes KSP grey out the save or load or vessel name buttons, and others.

(btw I'm using B9, quantum struts, FAR, proc. fairings, proc. wings, and ARM (0.23.5), and I don't get these issues when not using the welder/welded parts)

Most of the freeze can be due to the fact that you have a lot of part and it reload all of them.

The editor problems are due to the fact that it's not published for .23 nor .23.5 check malkuth post just over yours for an update.

For the node not working, this is a bug with KSP itself, it will do the same for the stock station core where only 2 nodes works.

So is this still working in 0.23.5?

I haven't tried yet, I just got the update, and I am in a hotel at the moment.

I am working toward a final version that is not a playtest. with the info I have gathered by you guys. I will take a bit of time, and should allow for safer weld. Also it will depend how much I will manage to just load one config file instead of the whole database.

I am having a bit of free time now that the winter is over, I should have even more time this summer.

I have not tried this in 23.5 yet sorry guys. I will get around to maybe checking it out for any quick fixes that might need. I'm using welded parts in my game though from .23 though and that seems fine.

Edit No error codes that I could see. Recompiled in the New 23.5 Versions.. Should be all set.. Download is the same.

Edited by malkuth

I use this mod for extremely large ships, i am talking part counts near 1500.. when i drop the ship on the "weld it" button my game freezes too.. but if you leave it for a few minutes it will come back with the naming window. For me it can take up near 10 minutes to "recompile" the ship to weld, most of that time the game is frozen. Oh and i only weld stock parts... i tried welding mod parts and had nothing but problems.

I have a big problem, so every time I weld anything the mod hides all the stock parts from the menu and shows them flashing through the middle of the VAB. And then the wielded part does not appear anywhere. And in the load screen for crafts shows that all the crafts cant be loaded because there is missing parts. So, i go to the game data folder and delete the welded part, after that the game goes to normal but as soon as i try to wield again it does the same thing. Dont matter if the parts are stock or not, or if I restart the game, if I dont delete the wielded pieces i cant play. So pretty much Im unable to wield.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.