Symmetry goes all wonky when building a non-rocket in the VAB

I'm having trouble with the Symmetry Mode of trying to build the Lander part of my rover, which uses a Mk1 Cockpit. The problem is, I can't get it to be at the same level as my original part. It's either above or below it, but it doesn't follow it.

When I build a new craft that is a rocket, it works as it should. Also flipping the entire thing where the nose of the rover faces up, doesn't fix it.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about (using these decouplers as an example);

33vdqhf.jpg

I noticed this when placing the rover's wheels. I thought it was just the struts, but it's happening with the fuel tank for the Lander.

Edited by Benie

I really wish it was that easy. As I stated, I already tried that. It's still doing it. I tried saving it like this, exiting, going back to the VAB, loading, and it's still doing it.

Symmetry mode works to begin with on the orientation of the initial pod/piece. Once you start attaching things radially to it and/or without symmetry as well things go wonky. The only workarounds are to build symmetrical crafts and/or without radial pieces. Also once you rotate a piece you stick onto the original structure symmetry will have trouble attaching correctly to that piece.

The more complex things you build the less symmetry can help you. Rather than relying on symmetry mode you'll just have to learn to build manually and use eye measurements or other pieces' locations for placement.

I've built all sorts of non-rocket things in the VAB using symmetry, it really just depends on how you build them.

Symmetry mode seems confused these days. I've had it suddenly decide it wants to put two struts on the same part, and one on the symmetric part, for example. My problems started with the 0.20 update.

Workaround: don't use symmetry.

As others have pointed out, the parts are confused by trying to exert symmetry 90 degrees from the orientation of the root part. Flip the cockpit upright, assemble the structure you want starting from beneath it and along its axis, and then flip the cockpit back and move the completed assembly to where you actually want it to be. Note that this is not a perfect solution. You can't alter any parts without moving the orientation back again, and the rocket will try to fly itself from the orientation of the cockpit unless you "control from here" some other part before the ship leaves the Launchpad. (Why does my stupid auto-correct always capitalize "Launchpad"?)

I feel like people are either not reading or not believing this bit:
I read it and believed it, but he didn't say HOW he's tried rotating the ship, and the method I described worked when I had similar problems. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.