[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Hey there folks, recently decided to add a few mods to my ksp. After adding this mod, upon loading the game throws an error that a mod is incompatible with the 64 bit version of ksp. If I remove the procedural fairings folder from the gamedata folder, it stops throwing the error. The game then just crashes on load.

That's because KSP 64bit is less stable than a Beryllium-8 nuclei. Don't use it, stick to 32 bits until KSP gets proper 64 bit support (Probably with the release of Unity 5 or maybe 4.6).

Hey there folks, recently decided to add a few mods to my ksp. After adding this mod, upon loading the game throws an error that a mod is incompatible with the 64 bit version of ksp. If I remove the procedural fairings folder from the gamedata folder, it stops throwing the error. The game then just crashes on load.

If you removed the procedural fairings install and it still crashes...you've got something else going on in your Gamedata folder or you've got a corrupted install.

Well, the incompatibility is because quite a few mod authors had their patience snap trying to solve "bugs" which were just 64-bit KSP being unstable. Either play using the 32-bit executable (sorry, this does limit your memory a lot), play using Linux 64-bit (which is stable), or eliminate the check from the source code and recompile (understanding that this is an at-your-own-risk option, because e-dog does not support Windows 64-bit).

As for the KSP crashes: there is a good chance you botched some mod installation somewhere. Always make sure you are extracting the correct folder (usually either the top level, or the level below GameData), and just try deleting mods until it works. Also, some mods like Universal Storage have non-standard installation instructions: follow the provided instructions to the letter. If you wind up deleting everything down to the Squad and NASAmission folders, well, it's time to reinstall KSP.

EDIT: Though, looking at things, I'm not 100% sure e-dog did disable Procedural Fairings for 64-bit. There's no mention of that in the OP, and I can't find any 64-bit checks in his source code.

Edited by Starman4308

Is there a way to limit the fairings' diameters by the size of the base or the unlocked tech? For example, a fairing on a 1.25m base can't exceed an internal diameter of 2.5m?

Or is this limitation already in place indirectly if you use FAR, i.e. big fat fairings on the front end of rockets are going to aerodynamic nightmares to launch?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I didn't see in the last few pages of the thread or the FAQ, and the forum search too is useless.

I have a little problem with the interstage adapter. It won't separate after staging. I'm using the fuselage type fairings. The fairings from the aerodynamics tab don't cause such problems. I removed most of my mods, but still ...

q0qtNqJ.jpg

Here's an amusing...well, I'm not even sure if it's a bug or if it's just me being dumb.

Building a rocket and putting two interstage fairing bases, facing each other, around my fusion reactor & magnetic nozzle (from the KSP Interstellar mod). I put on the first set of fairings, attached to the bottom ring, just fine. Then I put on the top set, where the height is adjusted so they end up overlapping the bottom set a little...

As far as I can tell the two sets of fairings which are now overlapping are trying to out-fairing each other. They started expanding like a balloon around the rocket, finally filling up the VAB entirely and taking the mass of my rocket into the millions of tons. Fortunately the game did not crash and I was able to remove the top set with ctrl-z.

Trying to find where the game put my screenshots of the incident...ah, here we go.

SIPSawo.jpg

So far, so good.

CIaG9Cu.jpg

Um...

EwM9wwH.png

I think we're gonna need a bigger VAB.

VYydSg2.jpg

Incident replicated with a cutaway view.

6jFRtxh.png

Anyone for space pancakes? I'll get the space maple syrup.

DaMichel: that's because the interstage adapter only has a decoupler in itself so that KER/MJ don't get confused; it doesn't actually decouple anything. The upper stage / payload / whatever is held in place by the fairings (remember the node is floating, there's nothing else to support the upper stage / payload), so as long as the fairing sides are there, the stage/payload will be held in place.

The only exception is if you have KJR. In that case, KJR turns the fake decoupler into a real decoupler, so you can make interstage shrouds.

Here's an amusing...well, I'm not even sure if it's a bug or if it's just me being dumb.

Building a rocket and putting two interstage fairing bases, facing each other, around my fusion reactor & magnetic nozzle (from the KSP Interstellar mod). I put on the first set of fairings, attached to the bottom ring, just fine. Then I put on the top set, where the height is adjusted so they end up overlapping the bottom set a little...

As far as I can tell the two sets of fairings which are now overlapping are trying to out-fairing each other. They started expanding like a balloon around the rocket, finally filling up the VAB entirely and taking the mass of my rocket into the millions of tons. Fortunately the game did not crash and I was able to remove the top set with ctrl-z.

Trying to find where the game put my screenshots of the incident...ah, here we go.

Ok, so basically the two interstage parts are having a ****ing contest while they each try to prove who has the bigger fairing....

Anyone for space pancakes? I'll get the space maple syrup.

Sounds delicious.

Your problem is that both of the interstage fairings (which are more meant to cover engines between stages) are trying to cover each other, and so keep expanding to do so. To get a single fairing over a midsection, what you should do is attach two fairing bases (or fairing base rings) facing opposite directions; you can then attach a fairing to one of them, and it will stretch to the other one, as so:

X6Mo7SC.png?1

DaMichel: that's because the interstage adapter only has a decoupler in itself so that KER/MJ don't get confused; it doesn't actually decouple anything. The upper stage / payload / whatever is held in place by the fairings (remember the node is floating, there's nothing else to support the upper stage / payload), so as long as the fairing sides are there, the stage/payload will be held in place.

Odd. I'm quite sure that it worked like i thought in some previous versions.

Now i placed a decoupler between interstage base and engine and this works. But it doesn't look good because the decoupler creates a shroud of its own ;) Anyway, thanks for the response, i will just do it like so then.

Odd. I'm quite sure that it worked like i thought in some previous versions.

Now i placed a decoupler between interstage base and engine and this works. But it doesn't look good because the decoupler creates a shroud of its own ;) Anyway, thanks for the response, i will just do it like so then.

Perhaps at one time you had a config that was inserting a decoupler into the part. I have such a config that is always in my tweaks folder. It not only adds real decouplers to interstage parts but to the other fairing base parts as well. Also adds a command module so each stage equipped with one can be controlled independently.

Hm, seems I can't turn payload strutting off? ( yes, I know, why would I want to? ) - I have some rotating parts I wanted to stick inside an interstage fairing, only once I add the fairing they cease rotating. I turned off auto-strutting already, but I presume that's just removing the fairing strutting and not the payload. I have KJR installed, and KAS, can't think of any other connection-related mods.

Also, as mentioned, KJR will make the decoupler work.

Yeah thanks for the hint. I will try KJR again. Probably this was it back in 0.23 what added the decoupler when i was still using it. But now with the 6.4x rescale it looks like i need it again for those 10 m parts. Trying to put a 2t robotic rover on Eve. The rocket required for this super huge.

Hey there everyone, like most everyone here i love this mod, I'm currently using the Ferram Arospace mod and Procedural Fairings in Career mode. I've unlocked all the fairing base rings in the tech tree and should be able to use them, but all I can see in the VAB is the pair of 1.25 m Bases. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. (I don't want my rockets looking like a baby's rattler lol)

Hey there everyone, like most everyone here i love this mod, I'm currently using the Ferram Arospace mod and Procedural Fairings in Career mode. I've unlocked all the fairing base rings in the tech tree and should be able to use them, but all I can see in the VAB is the pair of 1.25 m Bases. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. (I don't want my rockets looking like a baby's rattler lol)

They're procedural; right-click the part, and a size slider should pop up. The arrow keys allow for large changes in radius, while clicking and dragging on the slider allows fine control (down to millimeter accuracy).

EyIywBQ.png?1

Hi,

I'm using FAR and Procedural Fairings (among other mods) and running into a problem. My payload should be protected by fairings but parts fail due to aerodynamic stress during ascent and all parts inside the fairings in the VAB say "isShielded:false" Screenshots attached. How do I fix this? If other info is needed, please let me know, thanks.

Payload:

B5703AAB5DC651487F1854131EC5637312E74266

isShielded: False

0217631C736DADEEC4A0BB0AA17D056113928869

TYIA

Hi,

I'm using FAR and Procedural Fairings (among other mods) and running into a problem. My payload should be protected by fairings but parts fail due to aerodynamic stress during ascent and all parts inside the fairings in the VAB say "isShielded:false" Screenshots attached. How do I fix this? If other info is needed, please let me know, thanks.

Update to the latest version of FAR. The prior version had issues not shielding things when you resized the fairing.

Also make sure you're flying a sane FAR ascent (2-5 degree gravity turn at 50-100 m/s, launch TWR 1.2-1.6, etc).

The option of editing the radius of the fairing base is missing to me, it just isn't there in the right click menu. What can I do to fix that? I used to use an older version of procedural fairings that still had the multiple base parts, but I cannot find that old version anymore.

**EDIT**

Updating a couple of my mods fixed it. Sorry for the trouble!

Edited by Cjprice