What was your first mun landing with?

Mr. Pseudonym

The last thing I did in the (still current) demo was to land on Mun and return to Kerbin. I made that a goal, and upon that goal's completion I decided that the game deserved the $23 they are charging.

I sadly don't remember much about the ship. It was pretty standard, with a huge launcher, a mostly unnecessary (and fuel inefficient) second stage to get into Munar orbit and start the descent, and a 6-leg, small-thruster affair to actually land. I didn't leave anything (other than the 2nd stage debris) there. I didn't even know about docking and I think it may not even be a part of the demo. The entire lander and its single Kerbal returned to a splashdown in the middle of "Frica Sea," which is what I've dubbed the large body of water that you launch over that is east of Frica, the continent/country you launch from.

And yes, Frica is pronounced such that Frica Sea is pronounced the same as fricassee :)

I've been playing since 0.13 but only managed to land on the Mun in 0.18.2. This is my stock lander:

PttELMZ.jpg

I also built one with a KWRocketry tank and NovaPunch pack landing legs and subsequently landed it on Duna(without modification). It failed and the crew got stranded.

vypxP3z.png

Edited by ANWRocketMan

My first Mun landing was done way back sometime around 0.12 or 0.13. There was only one fuel tank size, two engines, and no landing legs. I used winglets as the landing gear and built the launcher from a tutorial. After a tediously slow landing process, I finally managed to set it down. Since there were no EVAs back then, I waited a minute then took off again and headed back to Kerbin.

If I had known how to take screenshots at the time, I would have done so. Sadly, that wasn't the case.

Edited by nerdboy64

My first Mun landing for this save was the EKER-1, an Apollo style spacecraft that failed miserably after I forgot the LM's fuel lines, I lost 3 Kerbals on that mission. The LM crashed shortly after takeoff from the Mun, killing the crew. The CM then was left stranded in Mun orbit. An unmanned rescue vehicle was sent to rescue but an ill-timed accidental space bar pressing put the CM on a suborbital trajectory killing the pilot. My first successful Mun landing was with the Munhopper-1 to place a memorial at the EKER-1 landing site to forever remember Bob, Jebediah, and Stedsen Kerman. You will be missed. :(

Totally stock lander, single stage for descent and ascent, and managed to land by my own ability.

2hq4jh3.jpg

The reason Hanner Kerman is staring wistfully at distant Kerbin? I used up ~85% of my fuel during my clumsy landing attempt... but needed at least ~40% to get back to orbit.

(he was successfully rescued a bit later)

My first moon landing was with a forum posted mk59 something-or-other that I can't find anymore, thought I had seen it since the forum oops, but it doesn't look like it. Was a reasonable landing, nothing fell off. And then, when I was ready to get back into orbit and return to kerbin, out of reflex I hit the space bar. The only stage left was the one that separates the capsule from the lander/service module, so that kind of killed that mission right there.

Well, it depends.

My first Mun landing was back in whatever version the Mun first appeared in. Mind you, in this context, "Landing" can also mean "Crashing into a sad little crater." :)

This was my first Munlander.

KeyWZft.png

It was v0.12, and I'd had pretty much no experience landing spacecraft. Given that flying to the Mun took 15-30 minutes, I decided to do things backwards, and learn how to land before I learned how to build a normal craft that could fly there.

I threw together a trainer craft to get some practice. The reason why the bottom of the fuel tank is blue, is to distinguish it from the stock fuel tank, which did not contain five million units of fuel.

After I got the hang of landing and returning, I built a zero-fuel-consumption craft that could put a normal (though not stock, as landing legs and small engines didn't arrive until 0.14) lander on the mun, and got used to landing on a fuel budget.

After I got the hang of that, I built a zero-fuel-consumption craft that could put a normal transfer craft and lander into LKO, got used to flying that to the Mun, and returning.

And after that, I put together a spacecraft that could fly to the Mun, land, and return, without using zero-consumption parts or nigh-infinite tanks. That was probably some variation of this craft.

diAOnYS.png

Then 0.13 came around and brought fuel lines, and my design priorties changed. And then 0.14.2 brought lander legs, and the ancestor of the LV-909. And Klopchuk's thread taught me about Asparagus staging. I had designs that could have Munlanded stock then, but because I thought a set of fins I'd been using to spread out my lander's footprint were stock instead of being Nova-Punch, it turned out that I didn't do a completely stock Munlanding until 0.15.

wow, this thread made me look at the change log to try and remember when i started KSP, and it was all they way around 0.13.3 when the game JUST switched over to the payed version, anyway my ship was just a MK 1 pod with a tank, and some fins for landing. i remember when 0.14 came out (like 3 days after i started KSP) the landing legs came out and i was blown away.

edit: i found this video on my youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag0HON9lpqI

"Uploaded on Dec 29, 2011"

and i remember making this video a bit after i actualy found the game out so i must have been even older at ks then 0.13.3..... huh

Edited by GalaxyGryphon

Embarker I landed on the Mun in my early days of 18.2

Touchdown:

QMYxqnf.jpg

Decouple/removal of the descent stage, which was built around the rover itself:

82CjYf7.jpg

Embarker I is safe on the surface of the Mun, and is investigating descent stage debris. (This is one of the side RCS pods used for control. The thrusters were VERY powerful and allowed for a very stable flight by my own hands:

Hxs1Eun.jpg

I spent the rest of that night driving toward the Mun Arch, but flipped over when I got near to it, destroying all power sources on Embarker I, so I drove it under the arch with its remaining power, retracted the wheels, and left it to die on the surface:

TjIQHfG.jpg

I subsequently sent an Embarker II and Embarker III there too. Embarker II was destroyed completely except a probe core and the rover wheels, again left to die, and Embarker III is still in my archived persistence file, frozen in time, ready to operate at any moment, should the need arise.

This thing:

(Kerbal X)

214px-Kerbal_x_launchpad.png

"Pure stock with skill".

Then I made my own version which is more wobbly, "jebediahlly safe", has a longer reach, and can come back to Kerbin. No pics now since it takes loads of time to load KSP for me.

I think mine was with the 1-man pod just on top of a fuel tank with side tanks and engines below them. Actually with my first attempt, I had so much fuel left in my intermediate stage that I used it to descend, then kind of forgot to detach it, and it having no landing legs, just tipped the whole thing over XD

Mine was called MUN BASTARD something ... I think I was up to FOXTROT or HOTEL by the time I was successful and it landed on winglets like something out of a Buck Rogers serial since we didn't have no fancy landing legs yet. Sadly I don't think I have any screenshots from those heady early days. I'm not even sure I knew what the screenshot key was back then.

With this:

The Tenor 8 capsule.

TriJaJh.jpg

Yes, those are all ASAS units. I don't know why. Toroidal fuel tanks are inside.

My first rockets were called "Testers" and basically were the result of me adding more SRBs to go higher. I aimed for the Mun. When I managed to hit it, I knew it was time to buy the full game.

The Tester evolved into the Tenor, and several versions were tried, before I could land on the Mun without killing a kerbal.

The mission was a direct ascent: No orbiting Kerbin, I just waited until the Mun was overhead, and pressed go.

I still get the craft out every now and then, for special occasions.

aVBI5jr.jpg

Edited by Tw1

First probe crashed - filed it under "successful navigation test".

Second probe was rather big - test for manned landing module - an brought a robo-rover with it.

REgpxbF.jpg

XRr3wBg.jpg

Manned landing in day light this time - but always forget to document my rockets ... must be because I only know it would have been worth it AFTER I attained orbit ...

ozkwiA0.jpg

This thread has a lot of replies! Didn't expect it to get this far.

I should have, though, considering that landing on the mun is every players' first real challenge, sort of a rite of passage into KSP for new players.

Anyway, continue with the landers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.