Career Mode and Mods

in my opinion, no there is no need to, but this has satisfied the ego crowd in past games about this same very subject in career modes! basically it would be a compromise so those that did their crap without mods can gloat about it still

Your right this is about bragging rights. The dev team has no way of knowing whether a mod is balanced or not. Hence wanting to keep a separate career mode for stock. So that you can compare your progress against a set bar. Or are you some one who thinks everyone should get a trophy with no one getting first place.

Why should you care about how I play my singleplayer game? If they disable mods I will make it my misson to distribute a patch that allows mods to work in career mode. I hate people who force their playstyle on others.

Your right this is about bragging rights. The dev team has no way of knowing whether a mod is balanced or not. Hence wanting to keep a separate career mode for stock. So that you can compare your progress against a set bar. Or are you some one who thinks everyone should get a trophy with no one getting first place.

There are no trophies. No competition, no nothing. You don't need other people's approval for your achievements, you did them anyway, and other people's achievements, if made with cheats or overpowered mods, will not affect you in any way excepted in your ego, and if they brag about it, well good for them.

Although I don't see why the career save file could not copy/paste the loaded part list in the persistence file. This way you could "prove" your achievements to other people if you really find the need to.

What I'm hoping Squad does is:

1. Career Mode, all stock.

2. Career Mode, mods.

3. Pure sand box. And I hope like !@#$ that they don't tie Sandbox to Career mode progress in any way.

but why does it matter how someone decides to play a single player game? If this was multiplayer i would see every ones point, but considering this is a single player game why does it matter if mods are used or not? The only reason i can for see why most would be against it is simply ego stroking! The i can do this and you can't haha attitude!

It clearly matters to you. If it didn't, you would pick:" 2. Career Mode, mods" and would play it as you wish, just like you say.

I don't see anything wrong with Career modes suggested above, looks like they would make everyone happy.

Edited by Ski

OMG if anyone cared that much you could still hyperedit your stuff into orbit then copy those craft into your no mod save file.... I mean anyone who really cares about ego just needs to get over it cuz there will never be any proof.

OMG if anyone cared that much you could still hyperedit your stuff into orbit then copy those craft into your no mod save file.... I mean anyone who really cares about ego just needs to get over it cuz there will never be any proof.

Indeed. Anyone could fake an achievement and pretend doing it pure stock. Doing a "mod" and "stock" version of the career mode seems redundant honestly, extra work to not real output.

your trophy analogy has nothing to do with this, trophies are something you win from a competitive event, in a single player game there is no competition to speak of! Again if this was a multiplayer game i would see your point, since KSP is single player there is no justification to disallow mods in a career mod for such reasons you have stated. However the devs will do what they feel is right and i strongly believe that they will side with CHOICE rather than shoving a certain gameplay style down ones throat. Just because mods may be allowed does not mean you have to use them there is no affect on anyone else but yourself which is why i just don't get your point of view in the context of a single player game! since you ended your response with a question, are you one of those that believes they have a higher IQ than anyone else, thus not being intelligent enough to see that IQ means nothing but using common sense?

What I'm hoping Squad does is:

1. Career Mode, all stock.

2. Career Mode, mods.

3. Pure sand box. And I hope like !@#$ that they don't tie Sandbox to Career mode progress in any way.

It clearly matters to you. If it didn't, you would pick:" 2. Career Mode, mods" and would play it as you wish, just like you say.

I don't see anything wrong with Career modes suggested above, looks like they would make everyone happy.

no there isn't wrong, but that is also extra work for the devs to create two seperate career modes, i'm not a coding expert so have no idea how hard it may be! that would be a "Choice"

Indeed. Anyone could fake an achievement and pretend doing it pure stock. Doing a "mod" and "stock" version of the career mode seems redundant honestly, extra work to not real output.

It's version .21 so still long way to release, so this discussion is about future and steering KSP into direction that some day you could tell a difference if certain mission or some amazing stunt was pulled off with or without mods.

Let me see, for you KSP is mainly about designing ships. Is that right?

It's version .21 so still long way to release, so this discussion is about future and steering KSP into direction that some day you could tell a difference if certain mission or some amazing stunt was pulled off with or without mods.

why do you need to tell if certain mission or some amazing stunt was pulled off with or without mods? in a context of a single player game explain why this matters for any reason other to have an egotistical perception of yourself being better than the other player?

I really don't see any way of doing that. And I really doubt the developpers would even want to try to create a way to prove how you did what. They aren't here to satisfy your achievement needs.

What the heck does how I like to play the game has anything to do with this?

why do you need to tell if certain mission or some amazing stunt was pulled off with or without mods? in a context of a single player game explain why this matters for any reason other to have an egotistical perception of yourself being better than the other player?

For inspiration! Foe challenge!! For knowing that something amazing and difficult could be done and I want to do even better !!

Counter question: why do you want to limit MY way to play KSP on these forumsinstead of enjoying it just by yourself as you proclaim?

For inspiration! Foe challenge!! For knowing that something amazing and difficult could be done and I want to do even better !!

Counter question: why do you want to limit MY way to play KSP on these forumsinstead of enjoying it just by yourself as you proclaim?

how is providing a choice for those to use mods and not use mods for career mode limiting in any way shape or form your way to play KSP? Not only is it giving you the oppurtunity to go all stock like you want it is also giving the oppurtunity for those who want to, to use mods. IT is in fact not limiting but providing more opportunities to play thus the providing more "CHOICES"

that question made me laugh!

also, you can have inspiration, challenge, using mods or not using mods does not prevent that fact.

I really don't see any way of doing that. And I really doubt the developpers would even want to try to create a way to prove how you did what. They aren't here to satisfy your achievement needs.

What the heck does how I like to play the game has anything to do with this?

1. They fulfilled your (mine too) mods need, why not go farther. It won't affect you, you already got what you want.

2. Because for me flying part is best part so not being able to challenge anybody within game system makes me a sad panda.

I'm sorry but you're not making sense here.

First, I really don't understand how other players playing with mods will affect your own playthrough and will prevent you from challenging yourself. On the opposite, I can see it as a challenge booster. You see someone doing something on the forums and he did it using a mod and tell yourself "well guess what, I can do it pure stock" and then proceed to do it only with stock parts. +challenge for you.

Second, absolutely no one is limiting you in any way? Other people playing the game like they want to and as modded as they want to is not forcing you to play it like that in any way. Opening a choice for other people is not limiting those who don't need this choice.

EDIT:

1. They fulfilled your (mine too) mods need, why not go farther. It won't affect you, you already got what you want.

2. Because for me flying part is best part so not being able to challenge anybody within game system makes me a sad panda.

No, that's giving them extra work for nothing. The developers are totally unrelated to mods, they just left the game open to it. Now you're asking them to spend some time developing a system to track mod use. Ridiculous. And you why wouldn't you be able to challenge other people? It's not because I like building than no one else likes flying like you and that you won't have anyone to challenge. Don't worry, there will be plenty of people like you that will want to keep their game stock only and give challenges to other people that do so.

Edited by stupid_chris

how is providing a choice for those to use mods and not use mods for career mode limiting in any way shape or form your way to play KSP? Not only is it giving you the oppurtunity to go all stock like you want it is also giving the oppurtunity for those who want to, to use mods. IT is in fact not limiting but providing more opportunities to play thus the providing more "CHOICES"

that question made me laugh!

But I support implementing Career Mode with mods as well as the one without. So who is giving more choices?

p.s. please read context of the question in form of previous posts before you just start laughing at seemingly random posts next time.

But I support implementing Career Mode with mods as well as the one without. So who is giving more choices?

p.s. please read context of the question in form of previous posts before you just start laughing at seemingly random posts next time.

i stated before that was fine for them to do that, but why waste the dev time to do so when you can accomplish the same thing with one mode using less resources? the choices you describe will still be there. you alone would control whether you used mods or not.

Now if KSP was meant to be multiplayer i would totally agree with you, one for mods and one without mods. Resources to develop the two modes would not be wasted at that point as it would accomplish a goal for a fair multiplayer world. in a single player game that goal is moot!

either way we each have different views, no point in going on about it. We will see what lies ahead and i'm sure more disccusions will pop up over it!

Edited by SleepyWacKo

I'm sorry but you're not making sense here.

First, I really don't understand how other players playing with mods will affect your own playthrough and will prevent you from challenging yourself. On the opposite, I can see it as a challenge booster. You see someone doing something on the forums and he did it using a mod and tell yourself "well guess what, I can do it pure stock" and then proceed to do it only with stock parts. +challenge for you.

Second, absolutely no one is limiting you in any way? Other people playing the game like they want to and as modded as they want to is not forcing you to play it like that in any way. Opening a choice for other people is not limiting those who don't need this choice.

EDIT:

No, that's giving them extra work for nothing. The developers are totally unrelated to mods, they just left the game open to it. Now you're asking them to spend some time developing a system to track mod use. Ridiculous. And you why wouldn't you be able to challenge other people? It's not because I like building than no one else likes flying like you and that you won't have anyone to challenge. Don't worry, there will be plenty of people like you that will want to keep their game stock only and give challenges to other people that do so.

If devs state that it is indeed ridiculous and they simply will not do it then I'm fine with that. What makes me wonder is why it is you that is opposing changes that would make my gameplay improved while leaving yours intact.

If devs state that it is indeed ridiculous and they simply will not do it then I'm fine with that. What makes me wonder is why it is you that is opposing changes that would make my gameplay improved while leaving yours intact.

Because it's throwing time out of the window, and in this context, time is money. Plus it's something absolutely impossible to do, someone will always find a way to cheat in and modify some stuff. If some developers can code it, someone who knows how the coding system works can reverse engineer it and crack through it. It will be totally useless.

Why can't you use your judgement instead of relying on a dev? Process the information through your head, and try to weight the pros and the cons, you should be able to see quite easily why it's not a good idea.

How would it improve your gameplay? If you don't want to use mods, isn't the simplest solution just… to not use mods? No need for an extra game feature for that.

i stated before that was fine for them to do that, but why waste the dev time to do so when you can accomplish the same thing with one mode using less resources? the choices you describe will still be there. you alone would control whether you used mods or not.

Now if KSP was meant to be multiplayer i would totally agree with you, one for mods and one without mods. Resources to develop the two modes would not be wasted at that point as it would accomplish a goal for a fair multiplayer world. in a single player game that goal is moot!

Multiplayer? Not. Social experience among space flight fans: definitely. Forums are full of various challenges and showoffs which is a great part of KSP. Adding a way of tracking mods would open gates to many new social interactions focused around KSP.

Multiplayer? Not. Social experience among space flight fans: definitely. Forums are full of various challenges and showoffs which is a great part of KSP. Adding a way of tracking mods would open gates to many new social interactions focused around KSP.

mods haven't stopped that from happening currently. why would it change that fact later on?

gotta also remember some of us actually use mods to make the game harder not eaiser!

If you doubt of someone's sincerity when saying he did something the way he said he did, then there's really nothing you an do. But don't worry, I have never ever seen someone on this forum lie on his achievements and cheat a non accepted parameter in. You should trust people instead of asking for the world to accommodate to you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.