Career Mode and Mods

I searched through the Forums for this answer, and couldn't find anything to do with this [certainly wasn't going to read through every single topic], but has there been any information about how Mods will work during Career Mode?

From what we understand in Career Mode we will start with some Basic Modules [last I heard], and unlock as our Technology Grows. The only thing I can find a way around this with still having Mods in the Mix, will be to add those Mods to a list of Unlockable Technology along with the Stock Parts.

It's hard to say without seeing what Squad has done, but I suspect there will be some sort of tier system, or research requirements. Certain parts are available at start, then you earn the others. If so, it'll be part of the part's .cfg file and thus a modder will be able to put a part into one of those requirement categories, or even create their own requirements.

From what we understand in Career Mode we will start with some Basic Modules [last I heard], and unlock as our Technology Grows. The only thing I can find a way around this with still having Mods in the Mix, will be to add those Mods to a list of Unlockable Technology along with the Stock Parts.

There is nothing known for sure about career mode.

Yes, so you can start the career with an bussard ramjet with an skylon first stage in the wab unless the mod has some metadata about career.

Its also legal to use your head then it comes to mod. Some like the skylon, the bussard and the orion is designed to be totally overpowered.

I'm really hoping career mode is stock only. This would be good for new players to learn rather than just use mechjeb. It would build some skill level on them and allow them to more deeply understand what it takes to get into orbit and why.

I'm really hoping career mode is stock only. This would be good for new players to learn rather than just use mechjeb. It would build some skill level on them and allow them to more deeply understand what it takes to get into orbit and why.

If the game completely ignored mods in career mode the outcry would be delicious. This is why I don't think it will happen; too many people rely on mods.

If the game completely ignored mods in career mode the outcry would be delicious. This is why I don't think it will happen; too many people rely on mods.

Yeah, that's kind of the bane of it. The fact that some mods are super over powered would ruin that actual challenge of building something that is both cost effective and reliant. Mods that add fuel tanks and engines which hold twice as much fuel and 3 times more efficient would kill it for me. I understand the whole "If you don't like mods, don't use them" argument, but part of what is great about KSP is that you can make amazing things which would never work in real life, but are actually useful in KSP.

I hope they allow mods because to me the best part of the game are the mods. As far as mechjeb its how I learned to launch and I don't have much fun flying I enjoy building and if they don't allow mechjeb or an auto pilot like they use in real life they shouldn't allow asas either.

ASAS doesn't fly your ship for you, as it only maintains a heading. I never said don't allow mods, just don't allow them in career mode. Besides, half of KSP IS flying your rocket, and testing your engineering skills. You shouldn't need an autopilot to enjoy the game.

and if they don't allow mechjeb or an auto pilot like they use in real life they shouldn't allow asas either.

I could go with that, would be a real challenge to build stable craft.

For you, maybe. It's entirely possible to enjoy the heck out of this game without playing it like it's a flight simulator.

Again, I didn't say it was a flight simulator, even if it is a flying game. Yes, building is fun, but it's not the whole game. You have to build something (engineering and building asset) and make sure that you, the pilot, can fly it (Piloting).

I don't imagine it'd be very difficult for the game to just simply search for and disable the Mechjeb plug-in if Squad decides to allow mods in Career mode. I think the allowance of mods would depend entirely on how flexible we get to be in terms of spending cash for rocket parts. If we have big budgets then probably. Small, tighter budgets would probably be a no.

I think the allowance of mods would depend entirely on how flexible we get to be in terms of spending cash for rocket parts. If we have big budgets then probably. Small, tighter budgets would probably be a no.

I don't think the devs will entirely care about enforcing how people play the career game mode, and I also think career mode will have some difficulty levels in terms of earning/spending potential.

In fact, they might even make a "hardcore" mode for career (whatever difficulty) that simply wouldn't run mod code. That would be the best way to implement it: give people something to brag about while not limiting the playstyle of others.

You shouldn't need an autopilot to enjoy the game.

I don't think you should need graphics to enjoy a game. What happened to the good old days of text-based games? Newfangled pictures ruining games for the generation that wants everything done for them. Git off my lawn!

I don't imagine it'd be very difficult for the game to just simply search for and disable the Mechjeb plug-in if Squad decides to allow mods in Career mode.

I don't imagine it would require any more effort to change Mechjeb to evade such a simple check.

In any case, it's probably most likely that Squad will just go with an honor system on career mode. I highly doubt that the same company that gave us such amazing modding potential and the debug menu is going to prioritize an anticheat system for a singleplayer game.

Soooo, what are the consequences for you (meaning anyone who thinks you shouldn't) if someone else uses mods?

What possible difference could it make to Squad or anyone else if someone uses a mod in career mode?

Edited by DChurchill

I don't imagine it would require any more effort to change Mechjeb to evade such a simple check.

If SQUAD wanted to disable mod code running they would just disable the check for and execution of mod code in the game loop. At that point some mod writer would have to alter the KSP executable or twiddle some memory bit for the game checking to see if it was in career mode, both of which carry their own problems.

In any case, it's probably most likely that Squad will just go with an honor system on career mode. I highly doubt that the same company that gave us such amazing modding potential and the debug menu is going to prioritize an anticheat system for a singleplayer game.

Exactly. Because no one cares how someone else plays a singleplayer game unless they're trying to rile someone up.

Exactly. Because no one cares how someone else plays a singleplayer game unless they're trying to rile someone up.

Empirical evidence from every post about MechJeb would suggest otherwise, obvious trolls excluded.

All this talk about MechJeb and it's Autopilot when I recall a Live Stream with Squad saying later down the track they hope to implement Kerbals doing activities that you ask them to do, this includes flying your Ship to Orbit if you wish. The stats will effect how efficient they are in the task though.

Personally I use MechJeb and I have never used Autopilot. I love it purely for it's information Windows, I try and avoid using the Map Mode or creating any Nodes, and MechJeb provides me the information I need to fly my ship 100% Manually.

Sure there are many parts out there that are "Cheat" Parts, but honestly, the people who use those Parts I don't see as the people who will be playing Career mode at all, they obviously only play the Game to screw around and have a good time in their own way. But there are also alot of Mods out there that add extra to the Game, such as RemoteTech which I've just started getting into and have no idea how I lived without it, as well as KAS, it's Mods like these that I'd love to have the ability to use in Career, you get no benefit from them but more creations to build and challenges to over-come.

If Squad do allow Mods in Career Mode, and people want their Cheat Parts in the game, then sure, they payed for the Game, so they should enjoy it in which ever way they want.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.