Zepto Eagleworks - Z-51 "Cobra" V/STOL

Dude, you are a genius at this "moving parts" thing. First the tiltjet, some hints at the most compact helicopter rotor I've seen, and now variable sweep wings! I've never gotten a self-dock to work, thought it was impossible for a long time. I've got to take a look at this when I get some free time!

Rune. You, sir, are indeed a master kerbal engineer.

I'll be away for a while and I don't have time to add descriptions to the crafts ingame, but here they are:

ZF-22

Basically a ZF-21 with missiles and new hinges.

S6NnXAC.png

Action groups:

1: Toggle lift fan

2: Toggle main jet

3: Fire long ranged missiles

4: Fire short ranged missiles

0: Toggle crew ladder

How to fly:

Vertical Takeoff:

1. Throttle up to 2 notches above 1/3 throttle.

2. SAS on

3. Parking brakes on.

4. Press 1 and 2 to activate engines.

Transition to level flight:

1. Right click the docking port on the lower part of the "L" and click undock.

2. Throttle up to 100% and press 1 to deactivate the lift fan and the engine should snap in place.

3. If the engine isn't docked to the top docking port yet, pitch up and then pitch down.

Vertical Landing:

1. Throttle down to 0%

2. Right click the docking port attached to the rear engine and click undock. The engine should dock to the lower docking port.

3. Press 1 to activate the lift fan.

4. Carefully land the plane.

Flight Tips:

• Wait until the plane has stopped before dropping the rear engine if you want to takeoff vertically after you have landed horizontally.
  • Since the rear engine is angled, the plane will move forward while hovering.
  • The plane has a tendency to yaw right due the fact that there is only on docking port on the left side holding the rear engine.
  • Pitch up while rolling to prevent it from flipping and stalling.

Download: http://www./download/5ygng1vnipmynvb/ZF-22.craft

ZTW-7

A stock tiltwing that can hold 6 Kerbals.

QwLLrwt.png

Action groups:

1: Toggle jet engines/deactivate rockets

2: Toggle rockets/deactivate jets

3: Arm claws

Backspace(Abort): Arm parachute

How to fly:

Vertical Takeoff:

1. Press 3 to arm the claws

2. SAS on

3. Parking brakes on.

4. Press 1 activate engines.

5. Throttle to 70%.

Transition to level flight:

1. After you are at least 30m above the ground, throttle down to 50%.

2. Right click the bottom claw and click release.

3. Allow the wing to snap on by itself. If it doesn't lock after a few seconds, you can pitch up and down until it is attached.

4. After the wings are locked in place, you may throttle to 100%.

Vertical Landing:

Note: You should be at least 50m from the ground when you perform this maneuver.

1. Throttle down to 50%

2. Right click the claw at the top and click release.

3. Press 2 to activate the rocket engines.

4. Once the wing is locked on to the vertical position, press 1 to reactivate the jets and throttle up.

5. Carefully land the aircraft.

Download: http://www./download/c93flpsrp2nirdj/ZTW-7.craft

ZF-31

Probably the first stock variable-sweep wing plane.

zzKs7up.png

Action groups:

1: Wings extended

2: Default wing position

3: Full sweep

4: Toggle engine

Download: http://www./download/5nqef3ne9cbpcpb/ZF-31A.craft

ZF-32

A modified version (actually, it was built from scratch) of the ZF-31 with the ability to sweep its wings forward.

ep88Yu8.png

Action groups:

1: Forward sweep

2: Default wing position

3: Full sweep

4: Toggle engine

Download: http://www./download/x5y23xl9h582s34/ZF-32A.craft

For the last two planes, the wings may shift slightly asymmetrically. You can try to press the action group again to reset the struts, but it's probably going to keep doing it anyways.

That's all folks, have a great summer! :D

Edited by Giggleplex777

I'll be away for a while and I don't have time to add descriptions to the crafts ingame, but here they are:

~snip~

That's all folks, have a great summer! :D

Thanks! I'm doing a general download of everything with hinges so the guys at R-SUV... you know what? They probably don't want me mouthing off why it is they are interested in "taking a look" at this. They are sharpening their hammers right now, that's for sure. ;)

Rune. Yeah, sharpening. Hammers. Whatever, they are kerbals. :)

• 9 months later...

I've converted the ZF-22/23 into a heavy ground attack aircraft to fully take advantage of the twin vertical engines.

Behold, the A-20:

AO4GGFk.png

It carries two large SRB missiles and two small sepratron missiles, whose combined mass is about 8 tonnes(!). Including the armament, a fully loaded A-20 weighs about 16 tonnes. Due to the large mass of aircraft, a single vertical jet engine would not suffice, and here's where the swiveling engine design comes into play. The A-20 only needs two engines rather than 3 in a comparable fixed-engine jet because the swiveling engine can act as a vertical engine or a horizontal one. So in theory, it would be lighter and have better performance*.

Here's a demonstration mission I performed with the A-20:

Managed to blow up the admin building. :)

There are still some tweaking the needs to be done, but it's almost ready for release.

*Unfortunately, the additional weight of the balancing parts and the hinge add up to ~1t, so there really is no performance edge. That said, it's waaaaay cooler than a conventional VTOL.

• 4 months later...

Hmmmm.....

5A2etgh.png

I think I like this new look. :)

In you're wondering this is the aircraft in the background:

xEsnuB7.png

Nothing too special about this one, expect for the fact that it has spoilers, flaps, and air/dive brakes. And it goes very fast.

Edited by Giggleplex777

The crazy genius of the swivel jet is back! Quick, run for your lives! XD

Now seriously, have you looked at the new, really high landing gear? The drag on that cubic orthogonal strut column gets added to the parent part (or something like it, point is they are not free anymore), and frankly? They look awful like that in these days of gizmos. And it would also give you a spot to put the docking ports that lock the engine on the VTOL position at the same time. Also, the rear end now also matters, and apparently the less draggy part are shock cone intakes, the close second being the really pointy nosecone/tail.

Rune. Dude, I can't help suggesting stuff. :rolleyes:

The crazy genius of the swivel jet is back! Quick, run for your lives! XD

Now seriously, have you looked at the new, really high landing gear? The drag on that cubic orthogonal strut column gets added to the parent part (or something like it, point is they are not free anymore), and frankly? They look awful like that in these days of gizmos. And it would also give you a spot to put the docking ports that lock the engine on the VTOL position at the same time. Also, the rear end now also matters, and apparently the less draggy part are shock cone intakes, the close second being the really pointy nosecone/tail.

Rune. Dude, I can't help suggesting stuff. :rolleyes:

I'm already working on changing the landing gear. Just making sure the other parts work first.

Thanks for the advice though! Don't really want to change the back too much as it is the counterweight and is essential to the balance of the aircraft.

Edit:

Here's the new version:

Kze3DKv.png

Edited by Giggleplex777

I'm already working on changing the landing gear. Just making sure the other parts work first.

Thanks for the advice though! Don't really want to change the back too much as it is the counterweight and is essential to the balance of the aircraft.

Edit:

Here's the new version:

http://i.imgur.com/Kze3DKv.png

Awesome! You can see how you are coming to grips with the new parts. The new build/aero system does take a bit to get used to, drag is difficult to handle in complicated builds (useful rule of thumb: watch out for open nodes, that's where it comes from). Have you thought about putting the engine in a bay? It would need to be open to start up, but once on, you can close it (and shield from the airstream the mechanism) and the engine would keep on firing and thrusting. And with a bit of a wider body, it would look just like a real plane. Love the drop tanks!

Rune. Or you know, maybe you already know all the innards of the new system. Just in case!

Holy mother of Kraken. I warned you guys, before this happened: when Giggle gets his 1.0 legs, be prepared for some witchcraft. When are we getting a craft file with that awesome-looking hinge?

Rune. SSTO on top of VTOL by any chance?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.