proposal to fix the spam-intake-to-jet-till-70km exploit.

while i dont think intake spam should be removed totally; i do think they should make the intakes have a diminishing return: like... every additional intake per turbine intakes 50% less air

so that spamming infinitely many intakes only result a 2.0X intakeair compared to one single intake.

Just because you personally dislike something does not mean you should force your preferred option on everyone. Like the lawyer trying to sue apple in order to force them to install internet filtering as standard because they keep on "mis-spelling" a certain site name by somehow typing u instead of a

Just because you personally dislike something does not mean you should force your preferred option on everyone. Like the lawyer trying to sue apple in order to force them to install internet filtering as standard because they keep on "mis-spelling" a certain site name by somehow typing u instead of a

He's not forcing it on anyone. He's giving a suggestion in his opinion on how to make the game better.

That's like saying we shouldn't have a new aerodynamics system because it might disassemble your plane during reentry and make the large rockets with odd shaped payloads less effective. You know, most systems are placeholders and aren't as realistic as they should be. Air-hogging is ridiculous and should be fixed, just as the infiniglide bug should too.

What benefit does this bring to the game?

i dont how you think...

but i'd prefer a more non-sense resources management in the game.

everyone knows it's essentially vacuum in the stratosphere;

it doesnt matter whether you have 1000 or none air intake for the jets; they simply do not work.

Nah, each extra intake taking less air just makes making bigger planes impossible, so thats not going to help anyone. If you're saying "only each extra intake" how exactly are you going to prove that each extra intake is not related to another engine, how would this be implemented?

What if the user isn't using intake clipping spam and is placing them along the length of the craft?

Heres a better idea - we know squad has some capability to bake a mesh thats perpendicular to the flow direction (Re-entry effects) so if this was done just with intakes, then it should be possible to work out how much area from the intakes is exposed to the airflow. Preventing overlapping intakes from having any effect whatsoever (but slightly overlapped intakes still providing some air).

But, I do agree with the "what benefit" philosopy. You either think this is cheating, or essential to the game. I do use intake clipping on some craft, on some I don't. I choose when I think its appropiate, and then no fix is ever neccesary.

i say they make the engines and in tank one part so it looks like this

There are several mods that do this. B9 and my own MK4 Fuselage mod have this for instance. I'd rather it didn't become standard though. Its useful for lowering part count and doing wing mounted engines, but not everything (Fighters, tail engined craft, VTOL, etc) is built that way. Not a good idea for stock at all.

Intakes sucking in air when no air could possibly reach the intake (because it's located behind another intake or other airflow-blocking part) is silly. Spreading out lots of intakes so each can get airflow and paying the price in increased drag is much less silly.

Yeah I'm not sure this suggestion makes sense. The only diminishing returns on intakes should be the mass and drag. I am however in complete agreement about solving the problem of intakes that should be "blocked" because they aren't on the surface of a craft.

The real problem is that jet engines are very OP themselves. They produce an incredible amount of power for very little fuel, and that needs to change. Reduce the power of jet engines, and jet spamming will be less effective.The overlapping of intakes isn't a real problem. Just turn off part clipping and air hogging becomes much less effective. People using the cheat interface are doing just that; cheating.

Yeah I'm not sure this suggestion makes sense. The only diminishing returns on intakes should be the mass and drag. I am however in complete agreement about solving the problem of intakes that should be "blocked" because they aren't on the surface of a craft.

This. The original post doesn't address the problem in a realistic way, and as for the followup suggestion of drag, we have a drag system, just not a good one, and open air intakes are already high enough drag that some people use them as airbrakes. If anything, a more realistic drag system will reduce the drag, not increase it. You don't see spamming air intakes in reality because having an air intake that isn't in the unobstructed airflow is far less effective.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.