What music do you listen to?

stupid_chris

I've been around for a while and I noticed there was no music related talk anywhere in the forum and that there was also no thread dedicated to music talk! So, since music is a rather large part of my life, I thought I might as well make one.

So people, what kind of music do you listen to and enjoy? What are your favourite bands? Or do you play any instruments? Whatever it is, feel free to talk about it here!

For myself, I'm into a rather wide range that goes from punk rock to hard hard rock with a dash of electronic and indie, and sometimes a (very) small hint of metal. My favourite bands are Linkin Park, LIGHTS, Simple Plan, All Time Low, Green Day, A Day To Remember, etc. And I happen to be a beginner drum player, I found out about it not long ago and I got into it rather fast.

Anyway, feel free to post your preferences below, along with any other things you would like to share, like concert stories or other things!

P.S.: It is very likely that some of you will have different music tastes, and it might happen that someone likes music you really don't like. If that happens, don't make a big fuss out of it. We can like different things and it's not a reason to get mad about it, so please don'T post comments about someone else's music taste unless it is positive comments, there is no need to start a flame war here.

For the most part I only listen to classic rock and heavy metal. Metallica and Disturbed are my two favorite bands, love them both and can't wait to see what Metallica's new album sounds like.

Speaking of playing an instrument, I am in the high school band and got myself a nice little seat on the drums, rather fun place to be I wouldn't mind making a career out of being a drummer one day to be honest!

I've come a long way from the maintream to the underground, fed myself 80ies and rock / metal thanks to GTA Vice City, became a full on death and black metalhead, went into grindcore / cybergore territory and ended up in the industrial techno / aggrotech scene, where i expanded my musical knowledge to 80ies goth and various other kinds, like Rockabilly, Deathrock, Synthpop, amongst others.

In my time as a metalhead i had like, 3 failed attempts at creating a band (i can write some decent lyrics and growl/scream like the big ones), and after some failed attempts at writing indutrial techno myself due to writer's block, i started DJ'ing as a hobby. You can tell music is a pretty big portion of my life and lifestyle.

So, favourite Bands at the moment: Covenant, Deine Lakaien, Stereomotion, Psyclon nine, Hypocrisy, Mayhem, Hatesex and Bauhaus

I like video game music. I have an entire playlist of them that lasts for 3 hours and 20 minutes.

Examples:

-snip-

Sorry for the video dump. Ignore the pictures and listen to the music.

I happen to enjoy video game music too. Personally, the Metroid Prime 3 soundtrack and the original Halo soundtrack are my favourite.

I was a metalhead in the 80's, grunge in the early 90's, post-grunge in the late 90's, garage rock in the 00's, indie in the teens. Lately, I just like everything. As I get older (mid-30's), my musical tastes expand more and more. Really digging the new Queens of the Stone Age album and recently got into Sia's older stuff. Much to my chagrin, I really like the new Timberlake album; great sexy grooves. Favorite albums of last year include Best Coast, Now Now, Sleigh Bells, Metric, Alabama Shakes. I'm a big fan of Rose Hill Drive, Earl Greyhound, The Parlor Mob, Sheepdogs, The London Souls, etc. I've seen hundreds of bands live, but 3 months ago saw the North Mississippi Allstars at a small club in Solana Beach. Best. Concert. Ever. I had a grin on my face for weeks.

Just now, this evening, got notified that I've got fan club tickets to the Pearl Jam tour this fall. New album by them in October. STOKED!!

Am I the only one who is predominantly an avid rap music listener here? Given that I myself also writes rap lyrics and produces rap beats for people (check out my music channel on my sig). And no, I'm not the ones who predominantly listen to money/riches/show-off/swagger-type songs. Also, some rock and pop songs.

Extra stuff:

4399364_700b_v1.jpg

Am I the only one who is predominantly an avid rap music listener here?

I've been trying to get into more of it lately. Do you have recommendations for someone who is primarily a rock fan to start with when trying to get into rap? I like The Roots, and the new Kendrick Lamar album is a good listen.

Am I the only one who is predominantly an avid rap music listener here? Given that I myself also writes rap lyrics and produces rap beats for people (check out my music channel on my sig). And no, I'm not the ones who predominantly listen to money/riches/show-off/swagger-type songs. Also, some rock and pop songs.

Extra stuff:

There are rap songs that aren't about money/riches/show-off/swagger ? do tell!

When I was a kid, those guys were 'straight outta Compton"

These days it seems they are "straight outta Christian Dior"

I've been trying to get into more of it lately. Do you have recommendations for someone who is primarily a rock fan to start with when trying to get into rap? I like The Roots, and the new Kendrick Lamar album is a good listen.

2pac, Nas, Lupe Fiasco, Immortal Technique, Eminem, to name a few. I have limited knowledge with international, since I'm more into our local scene here :D

There are rap songs that aren't about money/riches/show-off/swagger ? do tell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLbuUQ-RNGg

There's still many of them, that's just a few that I've remembered.

Extra stuff:

4399364_700b_v1.jpg

Haha, that's amusing. I noticed Classical isn't there, neither is techno, and some things that are really quite diverse in how accepted they are are one category. I guess I'm between 2 and 3. I like classic rock, indie rock and some other things that are vaguely defined as rock or folk-rock, but I am also really into folk. My favourite artist is far and a way Bob Dylan. It's the obvious choice but well deserved I think.

As for rap, I've never been much able to get into it. I find even on the songs critically praised, the beat and music and rhythmical / rhyming schemes are rarely interesting, usually just kind of atonal and simple, doesn't really express much. The delivery as well, usually sounds rather mundane, though some artists like Eminem seem to be able to give a good sense of emotion. So I come to the conclusion that rap is more about the lyrics, which I'm assuming is how most serious rap fans see it. And though I don't actively seek it out, I have been shown plenty of examples of lyrically good rap songs, BUT most of these seem to be still rather straightforward and without much poetry to them. Still thoughtful, intelligent lyrics, sometimes personal, though personal emotional rap doesn't seem to be nearly as prevalent as political/social commentary rap. This is fine, it's just not for me. And of course, it's only based off what people have shown me when I asked to hear some great rap. I like it when I can see real beauty in language and it's utilisation. Generally I've found the sort of rap that appeals to me most is comedic rap, as it feels natural with the hard, rapid style with lots of wordplay.

Popular rap, on the other hand, I think is almost all awful. I never understood the mindset someone had of paying someone to tell you they're better off than you over and over again and offering nothing else of value except perhaps a catchy tune lifted from somewhere else. I'm not wholly against sampling or other sorts of borrowing in art, but most of the time when used on modern pop music, it seems acontextual and to serve no other purpose than to give the song something of value where there otherwise is none, and in that way it feels completely like stealing without adding anything, even if they do have the money to pay for the rights. It's like "I'm awesome and rich and get lots of sex. Now here's the part you all like to dance and sing along to, which I didn't write. Aren't I great? Go to my show! Download me off itunes! Hashtag."

Edited by Kerbface

As for rap, I've never been much able to get into it. I find even on the songs critically praised, the beat and music and rhythmical / rhyming schemes are rarely interesting, usually just kind of atonal and simple, doesn't really express much. The delivery as well, usually sounds rather mundane, though some artists like Eminem seem to be able to give a good sense of emotion. So I come to the conclusion that rap is more about the lyrics, which I'm assuming is how most serious rap fans see it. And though I don't actively seek it out, I have been shown plenty of examples of lyrically good rap songs, BUT most of these seem to be still rather straightforward and without much poetry to them. Still thoughtful, intelligent lyrics, sometimes personal, though personal emotional rap doesn't seem to be nearly as prevalent as political/social commentary rap. This is fine, it's just not for me. And of course, it's only based off what people have shown me when I asked to hear some great rap. I like it when I can see real beauty in language and it's utilisation. Generally I've found the sort of rap that appeals to me most is comedic rap, as it feels natural with the hard, rapid style with lots of wordplay.

Popular rap, on the other hand, I think is almost all awful. I never understood the mindset someone had of paying someone to tell you they're better off than you over and over again and offering nothing else of value except perhaps a catchy tune lifted from somewhere else. I'm not wholly against sampling or other sorts of borrowing in art, but most of the time when used on modern pop music, it seems acontextual and to serve no other purpose than to give the song something of value where there otherwise is none, and in that way it feels completely like stealing without adding anything, even if they do have the money to pay for the rights. It's like "I'm awesome and rich and get lots of sex. Now here's the part you all like to dance and sing along to, which I didn't write. Aren't I great? Go to my show! Download me off itunes! Hashtag."

Because rap songs that has good message in it/tell stories about personal struggles/has meaningful lyrics into it rarely gets into mainstream (thus getting less attention) nowadays, and we always hear rap songs from different rappers talking about the same thing over and over again. Don't worry, we do have the same opinion about mainstream rap, but there are some cases of good songs breaking into mainstream (and from some "popular" rappers) like this,

, and
. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.