Devs, for future updates that break saves.

Sigma117

Could we get a very rough eta on release? Nothing solid like a date, but even something as simple as "It's still a few weeks, at the soonest" would be nice.

I've barely played KSP since save breaking was announced because I just don't have the drive to play it knowing all my progress could be lost by tomorrow.

No. Every time the devs have given a release date, bugs have come up and they've had to push it back. This leads to a mass outcry and backlash from the community. They've stated that it will be no later than August, that should be hint enough.

I understand the feeling, but really, they could give a date and then turns out a major problem happened during experimentals and it takes two extra weeks to fix it. There's a reason they don't give ETAs, they don't want to get in hot water because they missed their spot. And if they would give three weeks, and then it only takes a few days because everything went better than expected, you would be pissed because you started something you don'T have the time to finish.

Really, with a software in such an early development process, and ETA would bring a bunch of trouble, and the community is known to overreact easily, it's maybe not a good idea, as wishful as it is.

The best I can tell you is to keep a copy of .20 around. Do your stuff, whatever you want to do. When .21 comes out, just don't delete your .20 game yet. Finish what you are trying to do, and then go and play on .21. If you are patien t enough, someone might even come out with a tool to make save files compatible, who knows.

Believe it or not, Squad has posted an approximate release date, although I don't see it on the official forums. I can only assume that they have chosen to mention this off-site because of bad experiences with the community here.

Or they just forgot.

A rough ETA would be; in two until three weeks. That's rough. Something between a week until a month. They sort of did that. Experimental testing wouldn't be more than two weeks. Maybe three. Over 50 people are testing that release. You can catch a lot of bugs in that amount of time with that amount of people. Never the less, they never did an ETA on releases, and they never will. Just pay attention, keep a little sense, and you can do it on your own..

Edited by JSD

Take it easy. If you start a big project you can keep the current version and start another with the new one.

This is just like any other prereleased game, at the oficial launch everyone will have to start from scrach.

One thing I love from Squad is that they give us new content when it is done and that usualy means that the best date we will ever have is Soonâ„¢

Unless you have a steam copy, you could just not update.

I have a Steam copy and I'm not about to update immediately. Pro-tip: Disable automatic updates for the game.

As I've said before, everything we're doing now is just practice for 1.0. Don't fool yourself into thinking things won't break again. Saves, crafts, everything is up for grabs as development progresses and features are added.

I have a Steam copy and I'm not about to update immediately. Pro-tip: Disable automatic updates for the game.

If it does auto update you can go into Properties > betas > and select previous - previous stable release and you can down grade. Then go into your Steam Common folder and copy the KSP directory to somewhere else and you can then have that version forever as KSP doesn't require Steam to play. Then change your settings back, so you always have the latest version, and then can keep as many version copies as you want. If you wanted you could then add the shortcut for that version into Steam and then change the name (within steam) to reflect which version it is. viola.

If it does auto update you can go into Properties > betas > and select previous - previous stable release and you can down grade. Then go into your Steam Common folder and copy the KSP directory to somewhere else and you can then have that version forever as KSP doesn't require Steam to play. Then change your settings back, so you always have the latest version, and then can keep as many version copies as you want. If you wanted you could then add the shortcut for that version into Steam and then change the name (within steam) to reflect which version it is. viola.

THIS! :)

(10 char limit , so. Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, ya)

Ahh another glass half empty. Don't look at it as breaking your save or loosing your progress. Think of it as an opportunity! Think of how much quicker you can get that station built this time around. :cool:

Scott Manley's "Reusable Space Program" videos are still using 0.19.1, and he's still recording them.

Nothing says you need to update instantly, especially when the release seems to be more 'make pretty' and 'tweak variables' then 'new planets and cool stuff'

I also have a copy of .20 that I will keep for when I want to use mods until they are updated.

I'm on steam so auto updates~

Forgot I could disable that, thanks ^^

Edit: SpikeyHat09, anyone that expects anything more precise than a 2+ week timeframe is getting a little hopeful really, and I knew the devs had mentioned release dates prior to this, but I didn't know it was pushed back by weeks at a time.

Edited by Sigma117

I understand how you feel.

I had a massive amount of ships in 0.19. When 0.20 came out, I decided to start from scratch because of the new docking ports. I've now more or less stopped what I was doing because of 0.21. Currently I am testing designs for when 0.21 comes - I'm trying to improve on my base designs to reduce part counts and improve the look - It's not easy, but it's the perfect use of time before 0.21.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.