Help me get my boys home.

Moon Goddess

So looking for some expert Kerbal engineers here, some Apollo 13 stuff here. Tell me if this can be done.

During Aerobraking at Eve I experienced an unplanned separation. So now I have 3 kerbals in elliptical orbit of Eve. I've got a little over 1500m/s of Delta-V and 83 days worth of oxygen. And 138 days until the optimal transfer back to Kerbin.

Will 1500 get them back to Kerbin non-optimal? Within 83 days? If I can just get them back into Kerbin SOI I could dock something with more fuel and O2. I just need to get them back there.

Can I do it? and what do I need to do? I'm pretty sure I don't have the fuel to burn straight for Kerbin, Do I need to exit Eve SOI into retrograd orbit of the sun and try to line up with Kerbin?

Or bury my boys in the seas of Eve?

Ok, the time is now Year 1, Day 185

Our orbit is AP 5.065Mm PE of 102.2km, with an inclination of 11 degrees.

Everything that website calculates for me has me leaving Eve orbit long after the O2 runs out.

Edited by Moon Goddess

You have 3 Kerbals you say?

and you have an elliptical orbit?

In theory, if you wanted to, you could get out and push-use the EVA pack and push against the back of the pod. Do this for your mid course corrections, use your fuel to break orbit, then get home with EVA.

EDIT: you will probably need quite a lot of patience for this, as you have to push, go back into the pod, replenish your EVA and rinse and repeat. Well. if you managed to learn enough to work out how to get to Eve, you have enough patience for this.

Edited by llamatoes
Robots

If it is economically advantageous (cost of kerbalnaut training x 3, vs. cost of rescue mission), then by all means proceed. If not, you will have a nice supply of Soylent Green in Eve orbit for future visitors. :confused::D

Ok, the time is now Year 1, Day 185

Our orbit is AP 5.065Mm PE of 102.2km, with an inclination of 11 degrees.

Everything that website calculates for me has me leaving Eve orbit long after the O2 runs out.

There's the 'show advanced settings' feature (that's new I believe). I played around with it, if you were to leave straight away (althought from a round 100km orbit) you could get it down to 1648m/s delta-v for a 83 day duration flight. As mentioned you could push a bit with EVA packs.

However, with the orbit you're in it's tricky to give a straight answer, I'd say put a manouver node on your PE marker and try to accelerate ahead in your currect orbital direction, give it 1400m/s delta-v or so and see how your orbit changes. Tweak it from there and try to get any encounter or near-encounter with Kerbin.

You have 3 Kerbals you say?

and you have an elliptical orbit?

In theory, if you wanted to, you could get out and push-use the EVA pack and push against the back of the pod. Do this for your mid course corrections, use your fuel to break orbit, then get home with EVA.

EDIT: you will probably need quite a lot of patience for this, as you have to push, go back into the pod, replenish your EVA and rinse and repeat. Well. if you managed to learn enough to work out how to get to Eve, you have enough patience for this.

The lives of three brave Kerbals are on the line here, and the best advice Mission Control can offer is.... "get out and push."

Kerbin, we have a problem.

We've never lost a Kerbal in space, we're sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is NOT an option.

We've got to find a way to make this, fit into the hole for this, using nothing but that.

Edited by DChurchill

...During Aerobraking at Eve I experienced an unplanned separation...
this made me chuckle a bit... Lemme guess, itchy spacebar finger? :D

Nontheless, while I can not provide any help, its heartwarming how much you care about those guys, and I will at least press thumbs that you can get them back home in one piece and breathing!

The lives of three brave Kerbals are on the line here, and the best advice Mission Control can offer is.... "get out and push."

Tch. It worked for getting me onto a free return trajectory. I had no fuel, and I got home.

Moar Boosters on the reskue mission!!!

Looking at the numbers you could send a "fuel pod" with supplies and have it there inside 50 days. This assumes you have a docking port / KAS / etc. (huge expense if your tacking that)

Side note: which mod are you using for the consumables?

We've never lost a Kerbal in space, we're sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is NOT an option.

We've got to find a way to make this, fit into the hole for this, using nothing but that.

Failure is always an option, just never a very good one.

There's the 'show advanced settings' feature (that's new I believe). I played around with it, if you were to leave straight away (althought from a round 100km orbit) you could get it down to 1648m/s delta-v for a 83 day duration flight. As mentioned you could push a bit with EVA packs.

However, with the orbit you're in it's tricky to give a straight answer, I'd say put a manouver node on your PE marker and try to accelerate ahead in your currect orbital direction, give it 1400m/s delta-v or so and see how your orbit changes. Tweak it from there and try to get any encounter or near-encounter with Kerbin.

I played around with that some, looks like the breaking burn is what's pushing me above 1500, wonder if I could get it in with aerobreaking... though thats is kinda what get me into this mess.

I literally LOL'd at this Thank you.

A picture of the craft may help.

I'll try when I get home from work.

By the way, 83 days is plenty of time to send a rescue mission or fuel/oxygen supplies. They could be there within 43 days if you launch 'today'.

This is looking like the best answer, a big craft with heavy engines and big tanks of O2.

Do you have enough oxygen for ONE kerbal to survive? Maybe the other two need to say, "We're just going outside for an EVA and may be some time."

I thought about that, it is Bob and 2 newbs, it would get me to 264 days, but I don't have the heart to do that to them.

Do what what everybody blames rose for not doing in titanic. Let the kerbals trade places in capsule while two cling to the side.

Well I modded that too, EVA has 8 hours of O2, which is taken from the onboard stores.

Moar Boosters on the reskue mission!!!

Looking at the numbers you could send a "fuel pod" with supplies and have it there inside 50 days. This assumes you have a docking port / KAS / etc. (huge expense if your tacking that)

Side note: which mod are you using for the consumables?

You know, on the way there, I was wondering, "Why did you include docking port, there's nothing there to dock with..."

Using Ioncross for consumables, they're currently living in the return stage, so breathing the o2 set aside for the return flight.

TO: Bob Kerman and What'stheirnames Kerman

From: Kerbal Resource Department, Kerbal Space Program Administration

Subject: Unauthorized Vacation, Non-intended Use of Resources and Compensatory Salary

Dear Robert Kerman and What'stheirnames Kerman

It has been brought to this office's attention that in the middle of your mission to Eve you have elected to take an unauthorized vacation. Please be aware that per Personnel Policy Section E, subsection 1, part I, subpart 37, paragraph 1214, subparagraph 3601, item 96; "All requests for leave must be submitted to your immediate supervisor six months in advance with a copy in triplicate to the Kerbal Resource Department."

There is no record of such a request in accordance with the Personnel Policy having been submitted to this office. Thereby your leave is unauthorized and is not eligible for compensatory salary.

It has also been brought to this office's attention that you are currently using resources appropriated for the return flight of your mission. This is in direct violation of Personnel Policy Section IZ, subsection 1002, subpart 462, paragraph 43, subparagraph 638, item 62: "All assigned and procured supplies, resources, consumables, and snacks will be utilized in only such a manner as originally assigned. Any non-intended use must cease immediately and the Agency must be immediate compensated for such non-intended use."

Per the aforementioned Personnel Policy you must immediate cease using all resources commonly called "life support" designated for your return flight. In addition you are required to compensate the Agency for whatever you resources you may have used to date. This compensation will be automatically deducted from your next paycheck.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to schedule an appointment which must occur no later than 84 days from the date of this notice.

Have a nice day,

Kerbal Resource Department

Cant really help but by offer my symathies. I have a ship with no fuel in a weird orbit around Kerbol crossing Kerbins and Eves - and the irritating nag in my head telling me I have to rescue the pilot with an ion propelled craft ...

p2V4KDs.jpg

You could try lowering your periapsis towards Eve until it's just above (if not slightly in) the atmosphere, then use the oberth effect to make your Dv budget take you a little further for a slingshot into interplanetary space. Or you could slingshot around Gilly if that's feasible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.