Thoughts on Update?

potoes6

The problem with the new ASAS is that it's too "soft." While I've found it helpful for controlling relatively unstable and heavy SSTO planes, flying things that were previously highly stable is a complete chore. Whereas ASAS would keep me locked like an arrow on a heading before, I now have to fight with it to keep a course. This system would be perfect if it could just keep a heading without having to "repeat myself" until it decides to follow my headings.

Other than that, the new space center assets, jet textures, and performance improvements are great.

Before .21 "The new ASA is amazing, finally things won't wobble!"

After .21 "It hate the new ASAS, it ruined all my ships!"

Can't you people be happy? Way to praise the Devs for all their hard work... I'll hate to be around when they make the aerodynamics better.

The ONLY complaint I have is that I don't really like the new Duna texture.

that's not it. the new ASAS was (as far as i can tell) supposed to make it so that you can hold a heading without shaking yourself to pieces, and also make it so that you can input a new heading without turning it on/off. what it actually does is enable hardcore mode where only the most skilled of pilots can fight to control an ASAS enabled craft and actually do anything.

Other than that, the new space center assets, jet textures, and performance improvements are great.

"performance improvements"??!!?! my fps has dropped 75% with this update. even if the asas worked it would still be unplayable for me

Can't you people be happy? Way to praise the Devs for all their hard work... I'll hate to be around when they make the aerodynamics better.

Can't you people be happy? Way to praise the Artists for all their hard work... I'll hate to be around when they make Jool better.

The ONLY complaint I have is that I don't really like the new ASAS implementation.

Can't you people be happy?

It's called feedback. It's how games are developed... pretending a problem isn't there like a fanboy is far more damaging to the game than the many people having issues actually telling the devs so they can fix it. It didn't stop wobbling... it's made it worse. that's the point.

Anyway... back to the discussion....

Just arrived at the Mun (after completing all my course corrections manually... seems asas doesn't even keep on track with nodes any more)

But now I'm here.... man that new Mun... I mean... but... wow...how the... what? The view out of Munbug's wondow is probably the prettiest thing I've seen in a computer game for a long time.

MY SIGNATURE

Can't you people be happy? Way to praise the Artists for all their hard work... I'll hate to be around when they make Jool better.

The ONLY complaint I have is that I don't really like the new ASAS implementation.

:sticktongue:

"performance improvements"??!!?! my fps has dropped 75% with this update. even if the asas worked it would still be unplayable for me

Yes... I noticed slow down too.... with the physics bar fully to the right my framerate is still pretty much the same but whereas a munbug launch slowed to about a third real time it now slows right down to a quarter of real time (4 real seconds for every game second)... although I put it down the the extra wobbling causing more physics calculations? I'm not sure how it works lol.

p.s. Man... that Mun...

I don't know what everyone is complaining about. I flew a successful flight to the Mun and back with the ASAS.

its obviously a bug, lets just stop complaining about it, file some bug reports, and the affected people can play .20 until its fixed

I find the new ASAS much better. Maybe it's a problem that affects old crafts?

Downloaded update, loaded a .20 craft, useless..

Re-created it in .21, perfect. plus a much better improvement overall in handling with the new S.A.S. Also, on another point, tweaks to the general space plane aspect of the game follow much closer to how real planes are expected to behave.

They're not quite there yet but its a damn good improvement in my opinion.

Edited by thirstyemu
general mis-pelling and stupidity

My experience with the new SAS is largely positive, certainly it hasn't made anything harder for me and I haven't experienced any random spinning or such which other people have reported.

If you don't like the new SAS, just wait, there'll most likely be a mod that gives you the old ones.

Also, I've found that KSP is slightly less laggy and I like the new crew management feature.

I'm personally loving it. I haven't been beyond Kerbin's orbit since the patch yet, but I've flown a plane around and two rockets into orbit, and the ASAS is working like a charm. Getting a lot less lag from orbit too, and the textures look a lot better.

Funny thing about all your complaints people, sal has said that what you know as ASAS is dead, non-existant, replaced by SAS and reaction wheels, meaning you have to fly your things for real now.

The new SAS doesn't seem to transition nicely to 0.20 craft, but I've been building Munshines for a few hours now and I seem to be getting the hang of it. I think the key is in redistributing your control authority. Pod torque is a lot weaker now. Being able to add SAS modules for torque is nice but doesn't help heavy launchers much. You'll definitely want some fins near the bottom of your rocket, and you may want to disengage SAS for a bit when you're doing your gravity turn. I'm not entirely sure yet but the new SAS seems to feel like a hybrid of the old SAS dampening and the old ASAS position lock. While it may need some tweaking (I'd like it to lock solid once I release the WASD keys) it does control your craft a LOT more gently than the old ASAS did! I think I will find this new system far superior to the old once I get the hang of it.

Also, the new SAS really, really loves RCS in vacuum - in a good way! My rockets seem to lock very neatly under RCS, much more so than under torque alone.

It's called feedback. It's how games are developed... pretending a problem isn't there like a fanboy is far more damaging to the game than the many people having issues actually telling the devs so they can fix it. It didn't stop wobbling... it's made it worse. that's the point.

Anyway... back to the discussion....

Just arrived at the Mun (after completing all my course corrections manually... seems asas doesn't even keep on track with nodes any more)

But now I'm here.... man that new Mun... I mean... but... wow...how the... what? The view out of Munbug's wondow is probably the prettiest thing I've seen in a computer game for a long time.

I don't think you get my point. I don't care if you hate it now. My point is that before you actually PLAYED it, you loved it.

First impressions very good, I like the new Space Centre and VAB graphics, Mun terrain is much more interesting, new SAS feels good more like a R/C heli gyro where you can control the direction and it acts as a damper, so you can leave it switched on all the time.

One thing I noticed after my first return flight to the mun, when I touched down on Kerbin there was no "end flight" button and the "revert flight" button was greyed out, so I couldn't get to the flight stats. Does this warrant a bug report?

I don't know if it's just me, but the update (thanks Steam, btw) broke pretty much everything. I reinstalled and it's still broken - VAB and SPH randomly stop working, buttons cannot be pressed, game stops responding, and that's with only 3 parts on screen.

Then there's crashes. Oh god, the horrors. I only did this a couple of times, but after crashing a plane when landing (what is this "improved" ASAS you speak of?), I noticed that parts only break off and don't actually disappear when they explode. The explosions just kept on going and going for what seemed like an eternity, then my game crashed (persumably due to particle overload by all the explosions).

The new buildings look cool and all, but Squad, you need some serious QA revamp.

First impressions very good, I like the new Space Centre and VAB graphics, Mun terrain is much more interesting, new SAS feels good more like a R/C heli gyro where you can control the direction and it acts as a damper, so you can leave it switched on all the time.

One thing I noticed after my first return flight to the mun, when I touched down on Kerbin there was no "end flight" button and the "revert flight" button was greyed out, so I couldn't get to the flight stats. Does this warrant a bug report?

Yeah I didn't have an end flight either. Don't know if it's an oversight or a change. There's a now a "Recover Ship" button, but there's no end missions stats there.

Oh and this thread reminds me of this: http://xkcd.com/1172/

Am I the only person that actually likes the new ASAS? It is so much better now. I haven't done extensive testing but it is making rockets wobble less and planes are much easier to fly. I don't see why everyone doesn't like it, it is a vast improvement in my opinion.

i did not read pages 2-5, but this guy got it right!

The system is new, yeah! But it is much more realistic and logic!

Reaction wheel: it is a spinning whell(a normal wheel is enough) that just spins in the direction you want the force(or gets slowed down)(action = reaction!)

All the command pods got reaction wheels integrated and what once was a asas is now a sas with reaction wheel(thats how i intepreted it!)

So you dont have a unlogic and unrealistic system of two strenghtes of sas. i mean, why is the one stronger than the other and why can one use the rcs and the other not?

To fix some other missunderstandings: sas does not deliver the force! its just the computer that calculates what to do with the forces!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.