[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

I have a bad problem: the Thor landing legs will not deploy. It is absolutely vital that they be fixed since I'm re-enacting Apollo 11 at the moment, and if Jeb and Bill can't land, the mission is a bust.

I have tested them here (again) and they deploy in 0.23, so there must be something else interfering. Can you list what other mods you have installed (especially plugins) along with Novapunch? Also, open the ingame log (Alt+f2 by default, or whatever your modifier key is if not Alt) and look for any errors related to the Thor legs when you're trying to deploy them (or during the part loading when you start KSP)

As for the parachutes... hm. I have been having issues with the parachutes and the newest part tools. I may need to start over from scratch there. So angry, much smash.

Tiberion,

Up until a few days ago, my installation was on Linux Mint 15, and NovaPunch2 (v2.03a) was loading fine under KSP 0.23. Within the last couple of days I upgraded to LM16 and had to re-install everything in my KSP folders. NovaPunch2 now consistently crashes during the boot sequence. It's the only one that seems to fail, BTW. I've tried breaking out those parts from the pack that I need most (engines), but it continues to crash.

My system:

CPU: AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor (4)

RAM: 3952

GPU: GeForce GT 520/PCIe/SSE2 (1024MB)

SM: 30 (OpenGL 4.3 [4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.60])

Not high-end, but not shabby either...

The log from the last boot attempt shows the engine texture maps appear to have loaded (early in the boot sequence), but as it progressed, the boot just stopped and KSP shut down.

For reference, neither of the 32-bit executables of KSP will run on the newer kernel, and even the 64-bit launcher crashes when you hit "PLAY".

Am I looking at an "out-of-memory" issue (4 GB of RAM), or is this a 32-bit issue on a 64-bit machine?

Suggestions?

UPDATE: Looks like I hit the memory barrier. KAS was starting to do the same to me. I saw BolderCo's TextureCompressor plug-in, tried it, and all of the mods I want to use loaded without crashing. Moral of the story: You can't have everything, unless it's in moderation... :cool:

Edited by BARCLONE

Its getting to a point where we REALLY NEED A 64bit client (sorry did I say that out loud) I hate this compromise crap where you cant run the decent mod packs like NP B9 why should it be up to the modders to find lower overheads SQUAD needs to sort out the 64bit client issue with unity or whatever the problem is, 32bit is going the way of the dinosaur. I apoligise for going off on a tangent been battling the the memory limit for the last couple of weeks

Once again, it is *not* Squad's issue. *Unity* doesn't have a stable 64bit windows client.

They may not have a stable one, but this is an alpha game they could at least try experimenting with it, other games out there are using unity 64bit

IIRC, they tried that out, and it had bugs worse than the memory limit. Also, the real bug is that Unity can't page itself for some reason. I can run much more memory-intensive games than KSP, without crashes, albeit with an FPS penalty due to paging. Most games start lagging when running out of memory, instead of crashing.

Wasmic's list of things that Tiberion might do, is doing, has done (but not released) or wants to do:

The Freyja Pod and Service Module

Ares V style first stage engine

Space Launch System style first stage engine

J-2 style second and third stage engines

Parachute fixes

Rework of the Odin pod (far out)

Rework of the Energiya style boosters

Just thought I'd throw it out there, if there's anything I've missed please notify. Keep in mind that Tiberion might not actually do any of those things.

Wasmic's list of things that Tiberion might do, is doing, has done (but not released) or wants to do:

The Freyja Pod and Service Module

Ares V style first stage engine

Space Launch System style first stage engine

J-2 style second and third stage engines

Parachute fixes

Rework of the Odin pod (far out)

Rework of the Energiya style boosters

Just thought I'd throw it out there, if there's anything I've missed please notify. Keep in mind that Tiberion might not actually do any of those things.

I haven't played KSP since .23 was released because NovaPunch and B9 are my two primary part pack and both haven't been updated yet :P

There are no problems that I have encountered. CyclonicTuna, you're safe to use NovaPunch with 0.23, and for B9 you only have to manually update two plugins. Just head over on the B9 thread.

Well, that is information I could've used a little earlier. Nevertheless, I don't feel like manually updating plugins, or manual fixes of any sorts. Because I have the remarkible talent to balls up even the simpelest of tasks when it comes to messing with configs or any of that stuff.

After I go through the loading sequence and I am just about to enter the game, I crash. Does anyone know why? I am using other mods.

Since I've also seen you post in the B9 thread, I assume that you use B9 Aerospace. The thing about any addon that includes textures is, that it takes up RAM. Even if you have 16 GB of ram, KSP will only be able to use around 3.8 GB, and if KSP tries to load more textures or models, it crashes. This means that you have three options now:

1: Remove parts that you don't use from the GameData folder.

2: (IMO, this is a better option) Install texture reduction packs. B9 comes with a reduction pack that can shave off hundreds of megabytes, it's placed inside the B9 folder. Simply merge and replace this folder on top of the normal B9 folder in GameData. Alternatively, there's the B9 mega-reduction pack by attosecond, who has also made a reduction pack for NovaPunch. You can find these packs here and here. Bear in mind that these packs will cause a reduction in texture quality, but that's the price for using many mods.

3: The best option IMO. Install this mod. The STABLE-BASIC version will compress loaded textures and thus save RAM. The STABLE-AGGRESSIVE version will actually reduce textures to smaller sizes, causing a drop in texture quality but even greater RAM savings. Bear in mind that some mods will have weird textures with the aggressive version, but most mods will be fine.

Hey Tiberion, I have a question regarding the design of the Freyja. How big will the parachutes be? The chutes in stock KSP are hilariously small (which I only realised after playing with RealChute), so are you going to make the Freyja chutes stockish size or a RealChute, realistic-ish size? I'd much prefer the latter, but you're the one who's making the thing. Oh, and will it be a single- or triple-dome parachute?

I am using this mod now for some time and i love it. But i have one major question.

How do you make working decoupling nose fairings?

The "normal" half parts are ok. I am talking especially about the 3.125m diameter fairing parts, where you need 4 pieces. They have no kinetic impulse when decoupled, so the rocket just flys through the depris. I tried that explosiv bolts, but i don't get how to use these things. My payload is only a 1,25m probe with solar panels and some science parts. So, there is no room to add bolts on the probe. I also tried to add some mini solid booster to the fairings, but its not possible to attach anything else to the fairings then other fairings.

hmm...

Hey I'm getting a bug where when I mouse over either the 2.5meter lander tank or the yaw master service module in the VAB the icon swells up and block other parts holding over it untill it fills the whole VAB and disappears gets rid of it but its downright strange any thoughts?

Hey I'm getting a bug where when I mouse over either the 2.5meter lander tank or the yaw master service module in the VAB the icon swells up and block other parts holding over it untill it fills the whole VAB and disappears gets rid of it but its downright strange any thoughts?

Download this hotfix: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46506740/NovaPunch2_03_VABIconHotfix.zip

How do you use the 5m Bearcat series 2 engine as if I attatch it to 5m fuel tanks it doesnt seem to have the power to lift itself?

How much fuel did you pack on? It works fine for me with something that looks like a Saturn V. Have you tried using launch clamps and/or KJR?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.