Courage/Stupidity Affect anything??

Artophwar

As far as I know, currently, those stats have a small sway in which expression animations they use. Notice how Jeb is always smiling/partying/laughing at Bob. This correlates to his stats.

They always said that the reason for Jebs permanent happpiness is his perfect mixture of high courage and stupidity ...

if Kerbal mimics are de facto connected to these 2 stats, I would expect brighter and less brave Kerbonauts to freak out faster :D

Isn't there another stat like Bad ass = true/false which is why some Kerbals laugh in the face of danger?

Unless it's been changed... it's BadS

And yes, only Jeb has it so far, although prior stuff from the devs has mentioned 'pilot training' being one of the factors that affects how the Kerbal behaves (and implied it was referring to the BadS flag).

And interestingly, it's been this way in the stats forever behind the scenes but now it's showing up in game as well: The 'Stupidity' stat is backwards. It's more like an 'Intelligence' stat, because a higher value indicates they're SMARTER.

What that one does is illustrated very profoundly by Bill and Bob. Neither is very brave (Bob maybe a tad more than Bill), but Bill has high 'Stupidity' whereas Bob's is very Low. What this means is that Bill has a pretty good idea of when things are actually dangerous, and usually only freaks out accordingly. Bob on the other hand doesn't have the faintest idea what's going on and is scared/worried basically all the time, unless it's flat out obvious it's safe (IE: Floating under a parachute, on the ground).

And yes, only Jeb has it so far, although prior stuff from the devs has mentioned 'pilot training' being one of the factors that affects how the Kerbal behaves (and implied it was referring to the BadS flag).

And interestingly, it's been this way in the stats forever behind the scenes but now it's showing up in game as well: The 'Stupidity' stat is backwards. It's more like an 'Intelligence' stat, because a higher value indicates they're SMARTER.

What that one does is illustrated very profoundly by Bill and Bob. Neither is very brave (Bob maybe a tad more than Bill), but Bill has high 'Stupidity' whereas Bob's is very Low. What this means is that Bill has a pretty good idea of when things are actually dangerous, and usually only freaks out accordingly. Bob on the other hand doesn't have the faintest idea what's going on and is scared/worried basically all the time, unless it's flat out obvious it's safe (IE: Floating under a parachute, on the ground).

I had a rare screenshot of a smiling Bob, well it wasn't a smile exactly but the corners of his mouth were tilted upward ever so slightly, he was standing under a tree and well away from any contraption that might cause him fear.

He smiles sometimes.

He liked being on Moho, but not the trip out.

He liked rescuing the others from the Mun:

Bob's rescue mission

aoCtmUU.jpg

A7Czcje.png

4FbVka2.jpg

"Where did that come from?" asked an overjoyed Bob. ---He was so glad to see a KAS cable, and not an SRB.

You gotta treat him right, give him some responsibility, and he rises to the occasion. Well, he did for me.

Edited by Tw1

Nearly all hires have high stupidity and its very annoying, not everyone (such as myself) plays as if the Kerbals are a dumb bunch of rocks.

EDIT: If I do find one they have low courage...they either have courage and are stupid as hell, or scared of their shadow and still mostly stupid...bah.

I got at least one BadS Kerbal that was not Jeb.

Wait, so you're telling me my recruits AREN'T stupid?!

I was very disappointed to see that Jeb was only half brave and half stupid. I reckoned that he should have been 100% on both. :P

In his case it doesn't actually matter what he's set to: His BadS flag overrides his stats and makes him grinny almost all the time.

I suspect you had Crew Manifest installed, as it allowed you to set the Bad Ass flag on every Kerbal.

Actually, Kerbals with the BadS flag on DO generate, although rare and far between.

I've only gotten it once before back in 0.19, and that was one Jennie Kerman.

I only found out by checking the persistent when I realized he was giving me grins whenever the rocket flipped out.

I doesn't seem to have any affect for me. I sent my bravest crew into space, and EVERY single one was screaming their heads off :P

Bravery is equivalent to sensibility in this game. They don't want to get in your suicidal bucket of bolts.

Stupidity on the other hand, makes them more cheerful when you try to kill them.

If you want a crew that'll keep a straight face, I suggest getting a balance of the two.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.