New Mun's highest point?

I was just performing a simple munar fly-by and I looked up the highest point, to see how low I could go to stay safe. The wiki currently gives 3400 meters. http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mun

Unfortunately with the new surface textures this is no longer true... I smacked right into a mountain side at around 3900 meters in altitude. Does anyone happen to know the new highest-point/lowest safe fly-zone? Actually landing on it is hard so I like to compensate for my inability to do so by making really low fly-bys.

For general safety that's fine, but I'm wondering if anyone knows the actual highest peak, down to... meter precision. Just so I can actually know it's technically safe to fly down to... 3947 meters, say. Even if in practice it's unwise to do so due to potential unforeseen factors.

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure I was at about 4200m (not certain, was tabbed out looking at something) when I suddenly discovered that the wiki info was out of date :-)

@ Eric

That is a good way of testing it if all else fails. Keep flying as low as you can until you hit something, then treat that as your new minimum.

Next run I'll got at 4250 meters and see how long the capsule lasts, lol.

I would say based on the two places I have managed to land so far that you had better stay over 6km.

This pic shows me landed at 4.1km altitude and the mountains are still soaring above me.

vo5o.png

Right now I'm busy mapping out Kerbin's new elevations, but I plan to mapsat the Mun next; if you haven't gotten an answer before that's done, I'll post what I find in the raw data from mapsat.

After gathering mapsat data overnight but not yet having full coverage of the Mun, the highest point it shows in the raw data is 7054.9. There might be higher points out there that I didn't get, but I got full coverage of both polar regions and that seems to be the highest points.

I crashed at around 5km on a equatorial retrograde orbit with about 1º or 2º inclination. It was coming out of a capture maneuver where I lowered my periapsis to 5k (Previous tallest point on the mun was about 4.4k) and came up a little down at 5.2km and 3 seconds later I crashed into a mountain at a ludicrous speed.

Searching through my data again for just points with "0.something" as latitude, I get 5873.2 elevation at -129 longitude on the equator. The equator is where my data had the biggest gaps still so there could be something even higher.

lol... I think I just found it.

I literally just read your post as I was at 5870 (+/-20) on a zero inclined orbit... and then saw this on the horizon...

I think the engine may need dusting :D

Heh, you must have missed it by what, five meters? The spotlights suddenly appearing out of the darkness was blood-chilling! Also also, watching other people's KSP videos is annoying because I keep trying to move the viewpoint :)

lol... I think I just found it.

I literally just read your post as I was at 5870 (+/-20) on a zero inclined orbit... and then saw this on the horizon...

~snip~

I think the engine may need dusting :D

Nice! Well done! ;-)

6km is definitely the hard deck. I feel safer at 7km, but unless I'm actually in the process of landing, I try to stay at 10km.

Note that high places (or vast areas--there are both) aren't the only worry. There's no such thing as level ground on Mun these days, but you can find small, RELATIVELY flat areas (sloped no more than 15-20^ if you look carefully. Best bet is to land near the terminator so the low-angle sunlight helps show the terrain slopes, don't use powerful spotlights if possible, and be ready to move sideways at the last moment to avoid a microcrater that wasn't visible when you started down.