Open Source Construction Techniques for Craft Aesthetics

k.sadly the engine doesn't give any thrust as it's clipped into the tank to much.It's only aesthetic right now and here's a imgur album (btw sry for being late with it,have been outside doing alot of parkour with my friend lately) https://imgur.com/a/kLz3z

and btw how do i attach a IMGUR album directly to the reply?

Imgur albums have a 5-character ID code. Yours there is kLz3z , in the URL.

Put the ID code into the imgur tag.

[imgur]12345[/imgur]

Awesome thread!! :D

I went through every post in this tread because it's so awesome. :D I don't know if this technique is worthy but I didn't exactly see it. Hopefully someone finds it useful.

Larger Station Modules

So I wanted larger station modules and the new large parts gave me a way to do that. Unfortunately, the large parts don't have a corresponding gigantic docking port so I made some modules that neck down to a Sr Port size.

The core of the module is a girder segment for strength and can be adjusted to suit the desired length of the module. The outside can be pretty much anything you want for labs, habitats, or whatever. I threw MechJeb on there so you can see the weights/part counts.

By adjusting symmetry and depth placement, you can create quite a variety of looks. The module's core modular girders provide the structural support, so the external components don't have to carry the load. This makes the modules strong but also customizable.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

By the way, you can also flip the ADTP-2-3 over and clip into it for other interesting effects. That works well if you are connecting one of these modules to a size 3 part.

Edited by Claw

I made a very clean-looking Ion Glider for Zarakon's Ion Glider Orbiter challenge, based upon Ziv's design. It uses a large ASAS module to look like a circular wing.

The vehicle itself is only capable of about 1 hour of powered flight, and in such time it can only reach a low sub-orbital speed, but I would argue it's probably one of the better looking designs in the challenge as yet.

Really love how you made the ASAS work as the main body of the whole thing. Mind if I try to recreate it? For personal use and playing around? :)

I think this thread is for open source techniques. So by definition, people post here to share ideas free for the taking. :)

I'm trying to hide engine components between these two parts.

They don't seem to play well. If anything is hidden inside the Adapter, it blows up when the decoupler fires :(

jvdYnWN.jpg

@blue - which decoupler ? The 3.75m or the 2.5m ? :)the 3.75m one is bugged - it's not flagged as a 'physics' part - creating all sorts of weird behaviour if you try to decouple it.

If you simply want to have engines hidden in the upper 3.75m to 2.5m adapter, for clipped engines the most important point is to not have any additional part below the emission point. (You can have working engines fully inside a fuel tank - they'll work unless there are additional parts below the thrust point) - your 'thrust can only go from the inside to the outside of a collision mesh - never from the outside to the inside of a collision mesh :)

The thrust emmission point is usually located around the nozzle's articulation point.

Yeah Blue, ditch the 2,5m decoupler (you can decouple the docking port so as it is, all it does is add 0,4mT and cut fuel flow to the engines), build a tank+engine cluster somewhere else, and clip that to the top node of the 2,5 to 3,75m adapter without anything sticking out. That should work.

Or place the 3,75m decoupler upside down and clip the engines to that, but that's more weight for the upper stage.

Rune. Also, I think I am beggining to master fuel flow in clipped parts without fuel lines. Think. More on that later.

I got it to work using two LV909s and a rockomax x200-8 but I want more deltav and thrust. Trying double the fuel is proving tricky.

The trouble is with the 3.75m, yes. Probably for the reason you mentioned.

I always thought thrust blocking was caused by thrust course contacting collision meshes whatever. If what you say is true, that is both useful, and explanation for the success of my earlier version of this manoeuvering interstage.

Edited by Blue

Blue,

I'm not certain what your specific problem is, but I see that you have the 3.75m decoupler with struts. If you haven't done the steps below already, give them a try and see if that fixes what you're trying to do. Decoupling the 3.75 with the ADTP on top usually causes the ADTP to evaporate. Plus the struts cause all kinds of other badness.

New Decoupler (TR-38-D) causes crash when staging (linux/mac) or parts of the ship to follow around (windows) – [FIX]

When staging, the new decoupler (TR-38-D) causes a variety of problems depending on your operating system. This problem seems to be worse if struts are involved. Thanks to Kasuha, the problem was narrowed down to the physics of the decoupler and is easily fixed.

1) With a text editor (such as notepad) open up the part.cfg file for the TR-38-D. It should be located in KSP\GameData\NASAmission\Parts\Size3Decoupler\part.cfg

2) Find the line that says “PhysicsSignificance = 1†and change it to “PhysicsSignificance = 0â€Â

3) Save the file and restart KSP.

If there is an entire engine hiding inside that ADTP-2-3 that you want unsheathed, I haven't figured out how to do that yet. The whole thing collides with the engine as it pulls off.

EDIT: Here's about the best I've been able to do so far.

WRzVwR1.jpg

Edited by Claw

I think there were a number of problems coming into play with both of the decouplers there, that I wasn't able to diagnose.

However, it works like a dream when it's just the one decoupler.

I attached the fuel tank to the large docking port, built what I wanted on the tank, then attached the adapter to the same node, and attached the lower decoupler and rest of the launcher to the adapter.

I always add struts just to make sure my launches are stiff and responsive as they fly.

Edited by Blue

Looks great! :D

Is that new tank the payload? Or do you use it to shuttle stuff?

I kind of which they would make service tubes that are just hollow lengths of tube (that don't neck up or down like an adapter). That would be nice for building stuff like this.

Looks great! :D

Is that new tank the payload? Or do you use it to shuttle stuff?

The tank is the payload. I frequently need to refuel spacecraft since I often launch large ones dry. I try to keep all payloads under 100t. That said, Marigold (the Launcher, which is everything below the 3.75m decoupler) can carry 75 tons of anything into LKO as long as it fits.

Edited by Blue

• 2 weeks later...

I've continued to improve the Capsule Maneuvering Unit hidden inside a 3.5m adapter. Inspired by Mesklin's DH-1 Variations, I added the features of increased fuel capacity, landing gear, parachutes and solar panels. These additions make it functional enough to be a subassembly that makes it perfect for small vehicle transits to the Mun or Minmus, as well as Kerbin powered or unpowered surface recovery.

Here is the craft file of FTD+V9CMU

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2VEZa9UYxIbZFV6Zk42YldDbU0/edit

Edited by Blue

That's awesome! I'd be curious to see the landing gear in action. It doesn't cause any collision problems?

Well I've already flown it four times, in which it did a good job of taking a module to the moon and back, and not-quite-slowly-enough landing on the ground on Kerbin afterwards (busted a couple of legs and an engine), as well as used it to transfer my highly complex space station from 90km to 150km without causing a part spazz-out.

I'm seriously considering making a compilation and guide for some of the techniques I employ to make clean looking rockets. They're not really techniques for making them more like real world designs as much as they are simple ways of making rockets look less slap-dash when flying.

Edited by Blue

Not to start an "intake spam" war, but here is a way to do an intake stack that isn't a complete eyesore. I made this "intake stick" so that it wasn't such an eyesore, but you can also pick up the whole thing and move it during construction. No ALT+F12 clipping is required.

uMABEpJ.jpg

Start out by placing a pocket I-beam, laying it flat, and rotating it 90 degrees to work on the smooth side. (I forget the correct keystrokes, so maybe you can add that.)

Place a small cubic strut, laying on its side, at the forward end of the I-beam. Attach an intake to the cubic strut's front node. Alt-click the cubic strut to copy it. Slide the new copy back until the cubic strut connects to the I-beam and just turns green. Repeat as desired.

Flip around a nosecone and attach it to the second-to-the-last cubic strut to close it off.

If you need to move it, remove the nosecone and grab the I-beam.

Good luck!

-Claw

Hey all, I've updated the OP with all of the latest techniques. I've also been thinking of changing the way the post is organized. Since this is all about aesthetics, it might be good to have pictures of the different techniques under each person's name, rather than descriptive text. That might make things a little more interesting.

Another thought I had was creating a wiki page for design techniques. That would be more in the open-source spirit and allow others to edit their entries rather than having to wait for me to update things. Let me know what your thoughts are.

I'm going to start working on a wiki page now, as I think it would be a great way to share this stuff.

[...]

And here's the wiki page: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Open_Source_Construction_Techniques_for_Craft_Aesthetics

I've added a few things just to get it started and try out the format.

Edited by GusTurbo

And here's the wiki page:

Thanks for maintaining this thread Gus. :)

I am horribly bad about updating Wiki pages. However, I do like what you've done with it so far. Is the idea to use the Wiki as a table of contents link back to this thread? Or do you imagine the wiki will eventually house all of this info?

By the way, is there some level of contribution required to wear those fancy wings? :D

Hey all, I've updated the OP with all of the latest techniques. I've also been thinking of changing the way the post is organized. Since this is all about aesthetics, it might be good to have pictures of the different techniques under each person's name, rather than descriptive text. That might make things a little more interesting.

Another thought I had was creating a wiki page for design techniques. That would be more in the open-source spirit and allow others to edit their entries rather than having to wait for me to update things. Let me know what your thoughts are.

I'm going to start working on a wiki page now, as I think it would be a great way to share this stuff.

[...]

And here's the wiki page: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Open_Source_Construction_Techniques_for_Craft_Aesthetics

Great idea Gus!! If you need a hand with it PM me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.