Open Source Construction Techniques for Craft Aesthetics

Smashing it into the ground works, I wanted to blow it up midair though, so far has withstood 6 separations clipped inside. I am thinking if I heat up something else inside, now I have to go look for small explodey stuff.

Engine exhaust has been highly nerfed in 1.0 and later. You're not able to overheat parts with seperatrons anymore, though if you still want to continue experimenting a couple probe cores have the same radial size as one of those fuel tanks you're trying to use but a lower heat tolerance. I still doubt that switching will make your trials more successful until SQUAD actually makes rocket engines able to heat things again.

Yu could clip them inside and when you stage them it will explode into lots of little parts.

That's about the only way he could do it, and at that point the weapon doesn't become automatic.

Testing the burning capabilities of many of the engines right now. I'll report back which ones can do it.

EDIT:

Just tested all the engines in the game except for the LFB KR-1x2 Twin Boar and S3 KS-25x4 against a single OKTO2 probe core on the launchpad. The OKTO2 is the smallest probe core and has the lowest heat resistance value in the game (tied with some other probe cores), so naturally it should burn easily. All engines were pointed directly into the probe core at point blank range, with the probe core being mounted on the nozzles of the engines. Multiple copies of radial engines would be used in a test.

Of every engine tested, only the RT-10 Hammer SRB was actually able to destroy the probe core. Engines really don't produce enough heat anymore.

Edited by Noname117

That's about the only way he could do it, and at that point the weapon doesn't become automatic.

Testing the burning capabilities of many of the engines right now. I'll report back which ones can do it.

EDIT:

Just tested all the engines in the game except for the LFB KR-1x2 Twin Boar and S3 KS-25x4 against a single OKTO2 probe core on the launchpad. The OKTO2 is the smallest probe core and has the lowest heat resistance value in the game (tied with some other probe cores), so naturally it should burn easily. All engines were pointed directly into the probe core at point blank range, with the probe core being mounted on the nozzles of the engines. Multiple copies of radial engines would be used in a test.

Of every engine tested, only the RT-10 Hammer SRB was actually able to destroy the probe core. Engines really don't produce enough heat anymore.

Thnks for trying though

Awww noone saw my post on the bottom of the alst page ;.;. I was curious, does anyone have a fix for wheel suspension preventing wheels from colliding with other parts? More description to that on the last page. I'll also try and post pictures on my issue when I get home in an hour.

Awww noone saw my post on the bottom of the alst page ;.;. I was curious, does anyone have a fix for wheel suspension preventing wheels from colliding with other parts? More description to that on the last page. I'll also try and post pictures on my issue when I get home in an hour.

Mmmh - got a similar problem when trying to make my Munokhod rover & lander pre 1.0x. (the wheels were falling through the lander) - basically, it has something to do because of a problem if the wheels ended up being in the same 'object' as the original root part / first probe core of the whole .craft prior to decoupling. the fix ended up being rebuilding starting from the lander's probe core (instead of the other way around) :) (though, the root selection tool might help you in this case)

here's the mission thread, but i doubt it can still work without heavy rework in 1.0x thanks to the new drag system (and mostly the lower overall vacuum ISP - the lander's margins were ultra tight :P) ^^ http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114114-Muna-17-mission - i'll may try to rework it when i get some time though :P

it's a known bug, but not really known :)

try making a rover, (with the root part / first probe core within the rover) and attach a decoupler & a ramp made of wings underneath to test that out. (and then rebuild from the other way around / use the root selection tool to test that out)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Mmmh - got a similar problem when trying to make my Lunokhod rover & lander pre 1.0x. (the wheels were falling through the lander) - basically, it has something to do because of a problem if the wheels ended up being in the same 'object' as the original root part / first probe core of the whole .craft prior to decoupling. the fix ended up being rebuilding starting from the lander's probe core (instead of the other way around) :) (though, the root selection tool might help you in this case)

it's a known bug, but not really known :)

try making a rover, (with the root part / first probe core within the rover) and attach a decoupler & a ramp made of wings underneath to test that out. (and then rebuild from the other way around / use the root selection tool to test that out)

Interesting... I started with an I beam instead of the probe core so that holds true so far. I'll test it when I get hone report back. ;)

I rebuilt the whole craft starting with a probe core and the darn thing STILL refuses to cooperate! Here's a short highlight/rant of the issue on one of my older variants:

Please excuse the first 3 seconds of bad twitch conversion :P

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And here's the craft file. If someone can get this hinge to work with wheels I will give them more info about the cinematic it's being used in. You have no clue how frustrated I am with this thing XP

Door hinge REBOOT 2.craft (Dropbox)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I rebuilt the whole craft starting with a probe core and the darn thing STILL refuses to cooperate! Here's a short highlight/rant of the issue on one of my older variants:

http://imgur.com/a/tzxEr

And here's the craft file. If someone can get this hinge to work with wheels I will give them more info about the cinematic it's being used in. You have no clue how frustrated I am with this thing XP

Your video is set to private. And... You are, it seems, trying to use the rover wheels to make the thing move. Unfortunately that's where your problem lies. The rover wheels don't impart force onto anything. I've tried to do things with them expecting them to spin stuff. They don't. But... Maybe with 1.1 and the wheel physics rework it will happen.

It's going to need to be engines or reactions wheels to cover up the wheel's lacking.

I do however hope I can be proven wrong.

Your video is set to private. And... You are, it seems, trying to use the rover wheels to make the thing move. Unfortunately that's where your problem lies. The rover wheels don't impart force onto anything. I've tried to do things with them expecting them to spin stuff. They don't. But... Maybe with 1.1 and the wheel physics rework it will happen.

It's going to need to be engines or reactions wheels to cover up the wheel's lacking.

I do however hope I can be proven wrong.

You can use lander legs to impart force but there will be no rotation

Try to make the rover + decoupler attached ramp as a test :) (maybe add a probe core to the ramp too) - and test what works, with the first probecore either on the ramp or on the rover :)

Once you learned how to work it with this, then you can start to incorporate it in your design :)

@Flipnascar that should be relatively easy to test out what the rover wheels can do :) - just have a platform mounted on a plane landing gear with a rover on top :) - just need to see if the platform is moving while the rover's moving on it :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

An update on my hinge design. The hinge works if you decouple the door and than quicksave and quickload. Swapping scenes makes the game recognize the two as separate crafts and the wheels start to behave. In other words this doesn't easily work :(. It might in the next update though as wheels have been basically rewritten from the ground up.

:confused: Oh sorry I got tripped up for a sec. We're talking about divertless engine aesthetics and door hinges at the same time XD

- - - Updated - - -

:confused: Oh sorry I got tripped up for a sec. We're talking about divertless engine aesthetics as well as door hinges XD

ThatGuyWithALongUsername's post didn't make immediate sense to me. >.<

http://imgur.com/a/tzxEr

I'm on it!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on it!

Add two small reaction wheels here:

3LtiDlL.png

And a small probe core behind the docking port. Only seems to work with hack gravity, but with bigger reaction wheels, you could get it work, I'm sure.

I'm on it!

- - - Updated - - -

Add two small reaction wheels here:

http://i.imgur.com/3LtiDlL.png

And a small probe core behind the docking port. Only seems to work with hack gravity, but with bigger reaction wheels, you could get it work, I'm sure.

What I'm trying to do is be able to open and close the door without needing to swap vessels though. Reaction wheels work fine but you have to swap vessels to use them. I'm wanting to be able to control lights and other things as well as being able to open/close the doors at the same time.

What I'm trying to do is be able to open and close the door without needing to swap vessels though. Reaction wheels work fine but you have to swap vessels to use them. I'm wanting to be able to control lights and other things as well as being able to open/close the doors at the same time.

I think you will have to wait for the next patch and the wheel improvement. They are not wheels at the moment.

That's what I think too. I hope the new wheel patches fix it.

I have some ideas, but need a little time to test them out, just in case I don't here they are, rover wheels work on fairings, so you need a long fairing clipped through the door for the rover wheels to run on, also they seem to work on solar panels, so try some ox-stats too.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you know one of your wheels was backwards in the craft file? No it wasn't

solar panels don't work

Nope not fairings either

Edited by selfish_meme

I have some ideas, but need a little time to test them out, just in case I don't here they are, rover wheels work on fairings, so you need a long fairing clipped through the door for the rover wheels to run on, also they seem to work on solar panels, so try some ox-stats too.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you know one of your wheels was backwards in the craft file? No it wasn't

solar panels don't work

Nope not fairings either

Wat. Not sure why that would be but the mystery has been solved. Well, addressed at least :P. I'll be trying again next update with the rewritten wheel code.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.