Enquiring as to the official word on the new and old SAS.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask what the official word on the new SAS might be regarding any possibility of the old SAS becoming a choosable option at some point, i have a good friend who sadly can no longer play KSP because he only has the use of one hand, he's a real engineer designing all sorts of crazy contraptions, put hundreds of hours into the game but unfortunately the new SAS is causing him great problems in the controlling of the rockets and he's had to give up, so i have two questions if i may ask, the first one is will the old SAS ever become an option at some point, and the second is if not, what do you guys think the chances are of a mod coming out that could do it instead?

Thank you for any answers received.

I think its just a matter of waiting a few weeks for the new system to get its slight teething issues resolved. Hopefully once the strength is boosted a bit the new system will work perfectly for everyone.

For me the present system is working well for all the ships and planes I have tried so far and I like it far more than the old SAS system. But I havent yet tried docking with it - I will try that today to see if it is impossible as some others have said.

But I certainly have no problem with having an optional ASAS part provided to help out our friends who cannot use the new system or want the frozen attitude aspect of the old ASAS. The game should be adaptable to suit all types of users. Certainly those with disabilities should not be left with a useless game due to development changes that suddenly require the users to utilise more dexterity to play the game than before. It's just a game after all.

I'm sure we'll get some word one way or the other soon. It's the weekend after a release and patch, let the devs have a break.

This. The devs don't work weekends and after last week, I think we can all agree that they need rest. We'll probably have information on it next week.

If I had to put my money down, I would say that the avionics package will receive some sort of overhaul when the upgraded aerodynamics are being implemented...

Honestly I think there's a really good chance of that, however if the "proper" aerodynamics are anything like FAR, the current Avionics Package would still work, no? Although really, I think rockets and planes should have different stabilization systems, it just seems to make sense in my head.

This. The devs don't work weekends and after last week, I think we can all agree that they need rest. We'll probably have information on it next week.

Literally nobody in this thread was asking for the devs to release it over the weekend and the OP even asked if there were mods that he could install in the meantime. You're looking overly defensive by pretending everyone in this thread are pounding their fists while impatiently demanding an immediate change.

Sorry I had to bring that up. It irked me. :I

Literally nobody in this thread was asking for the devs to release it over the weekend and the OP even asked if there were mods that he could install in the meantime. You're looking overly defensive by pretending everyone in this thread are pounding their fists while impatiently demanding an immediate change.

No one is pretending anything or being defensive. I myself am testing my patience waiting for word on this new SAS system because, while I find it works incredibly well for airplanes, it is completely useless for anything rocketry related. I've put all my off-world aspirations on hold until I know whether I need to get MechJeb.

I was not, sorry if it felt that way. I was simply adding to what regex brought to the conversation about possibly getting some developer update soon. I didn't tell people to stop asking for the devs to tell us what's going on, just said that they might after taking a well earned weekend of relaxation :P

No one is pretending anything or being defensive. I myself am testing my patience waiting for word on this new SAS system because, while I find it works incredibly well for airplanes, it is completely useless for anything rocketry related. I've put all my off-world aspirations on hold until I know whether I need to get MechJeb.

I disagree. He told everyone that the devs don't work on the weekends, which for one thing, nobody was asking for. But it probably got lost in translation, so I guess it's ok anyway. I'm probably cranky this evening.

Regardless, this is going off topic and the OP already found a suitable mod for his good friend. :o

For me the present system is working well for all the ships and planes I have tried so far and I like it far more than the old SAS system. But I havent yet tried docking with it - I will try that today to see if it is impossible as some others have said.

Tried docking today and it was fine up tothe point where both ships should pull together. Nothing happened until I disabled the SAS on the docking target, then it seemed to work ok. So its not anywhere near impossible at all just needed SAS disabling temporarily during the final stage.

There are more than a few weird things still happening with the new SAS but it's usable now for spaceplanes since 0.21.1 and it's incredibly useful for planes in low Kerbin altitude (had much fun with this). I think the fun it adds to the last part will likely protrude it from being changed back too much but I hope that we can get some fixes or indeed a mod that adds just the old SAS lock to heading option back(if you have enough torque/control obv) since this is needed for low TWR ships that do long burns and for reducing the amount of input control for climbing SSTOs (the current system also sometimes introduces slow rolls but I've yet to really determine what causes that so more testing is needed)

For large ships its an dream, currently flying an 150 ton kethane miner and with 8 of the old sas modules it handles like an small ship, previously it would be an pain to rotate without rcs.

For small probes I miss the lightweight asas module, without it its a bit hard to lock the probe on an direction.

For large ships its an dream, currently flying an 150 ton kethane miner and with 8 of the old sas modules it handles like an small ship, previously it would be an pain to rotate without rcs.

For small probes I miss the lightweight asas module, without it its a bit hard to lock the probe on an direction.

The new Novacore mod now does several SAS modules, based on the new design, of all sizes and of varying strengths as they go up so the smallest one is the weakest - probably will suit probes well.

...or want the frozen attitude aspect of the old ASAS.

I have built small planes and large planes. Small rockets and large rockets. In all cases, the new SAS does still have the frozen (I assume you mean heading-holding) aspect.

The game should be adaptable to suit all types of users. Certainly those with disabilities should not be left with a useless game due to development changes that suddenly require the users to utilise more dexterity to play the game than before.

The new system requires less dexterity, as you no longer need to toggle F when changing heading.

I have built small planes and large planes. Small rockets and large rockets. In all cases, the new SAS does still have the frozen (I assume you mean heading-holding) aspect.

This isn't the case for some of us, or isn't the case for a craft that is even slightly imbalanced, not entirely sure yet. From the number of people having an issue with it, I would say it doesn't hold a heading at all (unless your craft is symmetrical).

But for some of us, it doesn't work that way. For me the new SAS works pretty well in 0.21.1 but even on the Kerbal X the attitude drifts off the locked heading, and sometimes takes hitting 'f' multiple times to get it to lock on in the first place.

It's not as much of a issue for me as some of the other oddities introduced since 0.21, but I'm pretty sanguine things will be sorted in time, and I absolutely love the new space center and terrain changes.

The new Novacore mod now does several SAS modules, based on the new design, of all sizes and of varying strengths as they go up so the smallest one is the weakest - probably will suit probes well.

Could you link this Novacore mod? I can't find it anywhere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.